Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dortmund have been trying to make Sergio Gomez stronger. The kid they got from Barca during the summer.
Why have they been trying to make him stronger? Because he is skinny as a rake. That's why.
Earlier in this thread somebody threw the names of David Silva, Kun Aguero and Raheem Sterling at me.
Take a closer look at these players. They aint skinny.
Dortmund are great at developing young talent.
1159015_imgw968.jpg

"Since Daniel Levy forked out £30 million on a brand new state of the art training facility in 2012, only Harry Kane and Harry Winks have made the jump from academy boys to first team stars."

Since 2012, Rose, Bentaleb, Townsend and Mason also all made the step up and whilst we sold 3 of them, 1 was because of their attitude 1 was because of a bust up with a coach and 1 we wanted to keep but agreed to let go for more game time.

"Since Daniel Levy forked out £30 million on a brand new state of the art training facility in 2012, only Harry Kane and Harry Winks have made the jump from academy boys to first team stars."

Since 2012, Rose, Bentaleb, Townsend and Mason also all made the step up and whilst we sold 3 of them, 1 was because of their attitude 1 was because of a bust up with a coach and 1 we wanted to keep but agreed to let go for more game time.

Yeah, I agree, I think that paragraph is unfair.

I also think it would be useful to 'tot up' the sales of academy players since the training centre was developed.

As you probably all know by now, I strongly believe that the club is not maximising its incredible academy output. We're developing some fantastic 18-year olds and then post-scholarship things are going very wrong.

Yeah, I agree, I think that paragraph is unfair.

I also think it would be useful to 'tot up' the sales of academy players since the training centre was developed.

As you probably all know by now, I strongly believe that the club is not maximising its incredible academy output. We're developing some fantastic 18-year olds and then post-scholarship things are going very wrong.
Yep, I was going to say the same. I think we've generated over +£100m in players that have come through the academy in the last 5yrs or so. We are producing professional footballers, that's what the academy is there to do, I think this is overlooked, we don't hoard players and send scores and scores out on loan. Our commitment to all those in the academy is to turn them into pro-footballers, something that is exceptionally hard to do. Each time this has been achieved it should be praised and seen as an achievement.

The struggle is getting players into the first team at Tottenham Hotspur, which gets harder and harder the better (challenging at the top of the table and CL, rather than say 5th, 6th and EL) the Club gets. The goal posts have moved by a very long way in such a short space of time (5yrs??). It wasn't so long ago that Carroll and Caulker were seen as the "next big thing". It's fair to say that both were far from that, for whatever the reasons, with neither excelling since leaving Spurs, add Pritchard to those two whilst you are at it (another highly, highly rated player). I'd be surprised that there is a single person around today that once held the view that they were the "next big thing" now thinks this is the case.

What am I alluding to? Maybe, just maybe that those at Tottenham know what they are doing. That deep down we know that we will be adding Onomah and CCV to the same list as Pritchard, Caulker & Carroll (seeing as they are out on loan and not with the Club this is an increasing possibility). FWIW I've been a huge fan of both of these players but having seen CCV play (only a handful of games since his loan(s) admittedly), I can't say I hold the same view on them anymore, CCV is no longer that dominant leader that he was at the heart of our academy back 4, he simply looks average at best. He's not in the same class as Foyth for example.

Last edited:
KWP having a real tough time against Moise Kean.

Not his best game.

To be fair, Kean did exactly the same to DaSilva (and Cook - took both of them out in one run) over on the other side in the second half, that boy looks a real handful, pace, power and decent technique, more experienced FB's are going to struggle with him in the near future.

Last edited:
To be fair, Kean did exactly the same to DaSilva (and Cook - took both of them out in one run) over on the other side in the second half, that boy looks a real handful, pace, power and decent technique, are experienced FB's are going to struggle with him in the near future.

Kean is an incredible talent, I agree.

Looking to be leaving Juve in January too. Only 18 years old.

Yep, I was going to say the same. I think we've generated over +£100m in players that have come through the academy in the last 5yrs or so. We are producing professional footballers, that's what the academy is there to do, I think this is overlooked, we don't hoard players and send scores and scores out on loan. Our commitment to all those in the academy is to turn them into pro-footballers, something that is exceptionally hard to do. Each time this has been achieved it should be praised and seen as an achievement.

The struggle is getting players into the first team at Tottenham Hotspur, which gets harder and harder the better (challenging at the top of the table and CL, rather than say 5th, 6th and EL) the Club gets. The goal posts have moved by a very long way in such a short space of time (5yrs??). It wasn't so long ago that Carroll and Caulker were seen as the "next big thing". It's fair to say that both were far from that, for whatever the reasons, with neither excelling since leaving Spurs, add Pritchard to those two whilst you are at it (another highly, highly rated player). I'd be surprised that there is a single person around today that once held the view that they were the "next big thing" now thinks this is the case.

What am I alluding to? Maybe, just maybe that those at Tottenham know what they are doing. That deep down we know that we will be adding Onomah and CCV to the same list as Pritchard, Caulker & Carroll (seeing as they are out on loan and not with the Club this is an increasing possibility). FWIW I've been a huge fan of both of these players but having seen CCV play (only a handful of games since his loan(s) admittedly, I can't say I hold the same view. He's no longer that dominant leader that he was at the heart of our academy back 4, he simply looks average at best. He's not in the same class as Foyth for example.

Agree with all that.

Looking at a list of all the players who have 'been good but not quite good enough' to make it at Spurs seems at first sight to be a little disheartening until you realise that its only something like 0.001% of all youngsters who start to train as footballers who get to make an appearance in PL and even fewer become regular PL players.

I used to think we could aim for 2 players a season to get into the first team with one of these probably moving on a season or two later as he wasn't quite goo enough.

These days I think its more likely to be one a season just because its difficult to get PL managers to give game time in any tournament - even though the youngsters who are given a chance rarely make a mistake (possibly less than seasoned pro's whether its Aurier's 'throw ins' , reckless tackles or copying Trippier's nutmeg around the Spurs penalty box, fortunately successfully unlike Trippier) so the managers 'fear' that youngsters will let them down seems unfounded.

What I do hope is that Poch does give some of the deserving Academy products game time as even those who don't make it have a very useful sell on value - the £100m or so generated in recent years can buy 2 or 3 seasoned players or alternatively fund the academy for about a decade. And its worth bearing in mind that in addition to the £100m we still have Harry Kane, Harry Winks and Danny Rose in the first team squad (value £200m ??) on top of the £100m, so the Academy is a significant contributor to Spurs current success.

Agree with all that.

Looking at a list of all the players who have 'been good but not quite good enough' to make it at Spurs seems at first sight to be a little disheartening until you realise that its only something like 0.001% of all youngsters who start to train as footballers who get to make an appearance in PL and even fewer become regular PL players.

I used to think we could aim for 2 players a season to get into the first team with one of these probably moving on a season or two later as he wasn't quite goo enough.

These days I think its more likely to be one a season just because its difficult to get PL managers to give game time in any tournament - even though the youngsters who are given a chance rarely make a mistake (possibly less than seasoned pro's whether its Aurier's 'throw ins' , reckless tackles or copying Trippier's nutmeg around the Spurs penalty box, fortunately successfully unlike Trippier) so the managers 'fear' that youngsters will let them down seems unfounded.

What I do hope is that Poch does give some of the deserving Academy products game time as even those who don't make it have a very useful sell on value - the £100m or so generated in recent years can buy 2 or 3 seasoned players or alternatively fund the academy for about a decade. And its worth bearing in mind that in addition to the £100m we still have Harry Kane, Harry Winks and Danny Rose in the first team squad (value £200m ??) on top of the £100m, so the Academy is a significant contributor to Spurs current success.
Agree.

Also worth mentioning that playing an academy product in your first team does boost that value too e.g. Townsend, Carroll & Caulker were testaments to that.

So it does go back to the fundamentals of giving minutes to a handful of players over and above shit players that we buy (N'jie, N'Koudo). I think that we would have given mins to Amos & Oakley-Booth this season were they not injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom