Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Poch will start what he thinks is his strongest team so for the forwards in a 433 it will be Moura and Son either side of Llorente.

However if Poch wants to give Son a run out as the centre forward in case Harry Kane isn't selected against Newcastle (too tired, injury or no pre-season etc) then I'd hope Georgiou gets the nod over N'Koudou (who I cannot see staying as he's an overseas trained player who we have an excess of regardless of footballing ability) and its Mours and Georgiou either side of Son. A forward line of 3 genuine speedsters could be very interesting.

Think the only way Eyoma starts is if Poch wants to go 3 at the back - otherwise he'll likely go with Sanchez and Carter-Vickers, although I'd like to see Eyoma get some reasonable playing time off the bench.

I really cannot see past Skipp and Amos with the experienced Eriksen as a midfield - although I'd like to rest Eriksen to prevent burnout and only play him maybe 45 minutes, which maybe gives Marsh a chance.

DerryLennon DerryLennon

Well I got that one wrong big time as Poch was re-incarnated for the match as Harry Redknapp picking his team for away matches in the group stages of the Europa League - and I'm so delighted to be wrong.

Starting Amos, Skipp and Marsh together in central midfield looked a risk - but they came out on top against AC Milan. A fantastic result for the youngsters

Giving Eyoma his debut with a start as CB was far more than I expected, particularly with Georgiou playing in the LB position - but on the other hand at least playing with a familiar face. And lastly Walker-Peters playing as a RB rather than LB. No goals conceded by such a young defence (even first team player Sanchez leading the defence was only a year or two older shows an overall solid mature performance.

A win was great, and maybe will help Poch to trust the academy graduates that bit more as friendly or not, a match against AC Milan is serious competition.

I wonder if Spurs (and Poch) have got the message given to all the top PL clubs by youngsters leaving that this will continue until they are shown that there is a decent prospect of getting to the first team by being given playing time in first team games. If this really is the start of that, it will be wonderful news - and mean Spurs will get a conveyor belt of talent through to the first team proper, maybe only at the rate of one or two or three youngsters a season, but that will be huge news.

Lets see whether a couple of youngsters make the Newcastle squad !

Last edited:
Eyoma is very highly rated, yes?

I was more impressed with him yesterday than I've ever been watching CCV at professional men's level.

Looked comfortable on the ball. Two footed. Strong. Relatively quick. Got a gem here.

Yes we have 3 or even 4 CB's coming through who are highly rated - Japhet Tanganga (missed out US tour by being with E u19's) plays CB/LB, TJ Eyoma plays CB/RB and Brooklyn Lyons-Foster is the youngest (2nd year Academy) with the 4th who I blow hot and cold on is Jon Dinzeyi (on last years US tour but Poch virtually played no youngsters). We have got several coming through below that who look good - but they've not been widely seen by youth watchers - so we could be well stocked in that position ?!

Yes we have 3 or even 4 CB's coming through who are highly rated - Japhet Tanganga (missed out US tour by being with E u19's) plays CB/LB, TJ Eyoma plays CB/RB and Brooklyn Lyons-Foster is the youngest (2nd year Academy) with the 4th who I blow hot and cold on is Jon Dinzeyi (on last years US tour but Poch virtually played no youngsters). We have got several coming through below that who look good - but they've not been widely seen by youth watchers - so we could be well stocked in that position ?!

Thanks - I always seem to hear praise when I hear Lyons-Fosters name.

How comes Dinzeyi didn't travel with the team to the US this year? He was training with the first team before they set out as there were pictures of him with the squad. Considering he's 20 years old now and Eyoma is 2 years younger, you'd have to think it's quite worrying for him.

Thanks - I always seem to hear praise when I hear Lyons-Fosters name.

How comes Dinzeyi didn't travel with the team to the US this year? He was training with the first team before they set out as there were pictures of him with the squad. Considering he's 20 years old now and Eyoma is 2 years younger, you'd have to think it's quite worrying for him.

I can only guess that Poch looked at him training on last seasons tour and wasn't impressed - although I would suggest he's had a decent season for u21'a since then and possibly deserved to be taken ,whereas it was a mystery to me why he made last pre-season squad (except he was possibly the most robust of youth defenders so most possible to adapt to mens game)

Forgot to mention, KWP getting the MOTM award v AC Milan, for someone with so few appearances for the first team, getting his third (?) should surely count as a minor miracle and put him firmly on the list of RB's - still think signing Aurier (with his dodgy throwins etc) was a mistake

Forgot to mention, KWP getting the MOTM award v AC Milan, for someone with so few appearances for the first team, getting his third (?) should surely count as a minor miracle and put him firmly on the list of RB's - still think signing Aurier (with his dodgy throwins etc) was a mistake
Agree re KWP.
Aurier - it's still a bit early to tell. He seems to have it all - 2-footed, strong, quick, athletic. If he can get to grips with the Poch system after a proper pre-season, he may turn out to be very good. As for the throw ins, I was at the Palace game and was almost apoplectic. I really hate stupidity in footballers, and that was about the daftest thing I'd ever seen. Wasn't too happy about the airkick for the open goal either.

Last edited:

Ta for that. He played pretty much like he does for the age groups - makes himself available, good close control, sizes up the options quickly, and then choses a good one. Good, crisp passing. Non-stop energy. Strong in the tackle.

Like Winks, he seems to have the ability to raise himself to whatever level he is playing in. Really hope he has a good future with us, seems to have so much in his locker.

Still buzzing from this teamsheet showing our Academy youngsters in blue

Vorm (c, Gazzaniga 46), Walker-Peters, Eyoma, Sanchez (Carter-Vickers 92), Georgiou (Davies 77), Amos, Skipp, Marsh (Aurier 77), Nkoudou, Lucas (Eriksen 63), Llorente (Son 63). Substitute (not used): Whiteman.

.....and of course Poch's post match comments, a watershed moment ?.
DjfgFX6XsAANDeC.jpg

@ Derrylemon

I couldnt agree more, you have to give them at least a sniff of some first team action at some point...or off they will go :(

A fruitful tour, but these were just exhibition matches that I doubt anyone who counts is paying much notice of. There is probably a door open in the early matches for one of them (most likely Amos), but I'm not sure how much credit this will put in the bank for most of them.

Still buzzing from this teamsheet showing our Academy youngsters in blue

Vorm (c, Gazzaniga 46), Walker-Peters, Eyoma, Sanchez (Carter-Vickers 92), Georgiou (Davies 77), Amos, Skipp, Marsh (Aurier 77), Nkoudou, Lucas (Eriksen 63), Llorente (Son 63). Substitute (not used): Whiteman.

.....and of course Poch's post match comments, a watershed moment ?.
DjfgFX6XsAANDeC.jpg

Which player was he specifically talking about there?

A fruitful tour, but these were just exhibition matches that I doubt anyone who counts is paying much notice of. There is probably a door open in the early matches for one of them (most likely Amos), but I'm not sure how much credit this will put in the bank for most of them.

Agree. Poch hasn't done much walking of his "brave" tasing lately where academy players are concerned has he ?

We'll probably get Dier and fucking Sissoko in a CM2 at Newcastle.

Although none of Skipp, Marsh and Amos are creative geniuses really, it was really refreshing to see three players all technically good, press like fuckers, win the ball and zip the ball around with some tempo. They all showed good tactical application too, rotating positions, dropping back to cover one another, moving forward intelligently, and all of them constantly looking for the ball, not hiding from it, comfortable to take it under pressure in deeper areas from CB's needing an outlet, and doing the "drop between CB thing at times too - which we've all been repeatedly told is tactical genius that only Dier is capable of.

Bar a 15-20 minute phase in the latter part of the first half, Skipp, Amos and Marsh bossed that game. Pressed a strong senior Milan team out of any kind of rhythm and kept us in control and used the ball well, making vertical passes at times too.

I know Marsh has never been a favourite, but Ive always quite liked the kid myself, probably the least rounded of the three, but is a right tenacious little fucker who's technically competent too.

I'd rather see any of these three in our midfield than Sissoko or even Dier.

I an ideal world we keep playing the 433, and maybe one/two of them plays with more senior players around them like Wanyama, Eriksen, Alli etc.

Agree. Poch hasn't done much walking of his "brave" tasing lately where academy players are concerned has he ?

Nope and that's not gone unnoticed. Hope things might change at Spurs - and same can be said of all other top 6 (?) PL clubs who have all had youngsters under 18 walking out of them to clubs in Europe due to an uncertain route to the first team/lack of first team playing time. European clubs of course have a great incentive now to get uk youngsters cheap as academies really are churning out some great talent. Could be great for England NT in 5 years but bad fir PL clubs

We'll probably get Dier and fucking Sissoko in a CM2 at Newcastle.

I'm not confident, but you never know. His hand seems like it may well be forced in the early games, especially where the centre of the park is concerned.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season games, but apparently he's also teasing us with a 4-3-3 at fucking last.....

I'm not confident, but you never know. His hand seems like it may well be forced in the early games, especially where the centre of the park is concerned.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season games, but apparently he's also teasing us with a 4-3-3 at fucking last.....

Yeah said the same above about 433. Knowing Poch he'll "bravely" sign Andre fucking Gomes and jack Grealish (who's not a CM) to play midfield by next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom