Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, maybe why I've never figured out where his best position is. The good work off the ball and his box prowess leads me into thinking he'd make a good False 9 - could maybe save us a few quid too.

Think he needs to put on a bit more muscle (he put on a lot last summer but at his age will naturally be able to put more on) but then he will be better in that 'secondary striker' and false no 9 position.

Still think he will play mostly as an AM but a real option to play striker when chasing games or as false 9 if short of a top class striker. But this is where a good coaching team will work with him to work out his best position(s) - and I do think its a couple of positions

He never wanted to leave , i Knew a couple of days ago..not claiming itk and all that bollocks ..but over the moon,there was more than enough interest in him from other clubs..sure he'll grab his chance when it comes .could save the club an absolute fortune in time.
glad to hear it but the prob was the club, and maybe not offering a new contract

Think he needs to put on a bit more muscle (he put on a lot last summer but at his age will naturally be able to put more on) but then he will be better in that 'secondary striker' and false no 9 position.

Still think he will play mostly as an AM but a real option to play striker when chasing games or as false 9 if short of a top class striker. But this is where a good coaching team will work with him to work out his best position(s) - and I do think its a couple of positions
What was he like as a CB or FB? Just curious.

He never wanted to leave , i Knew a couple of days ago..not claiming itk and all that bollocks ..but over the moon,there was more than enough interest in him from other clubs..sure he'll grab his chance when it comes .could save the club an absolute fortune in time.

Let's hope that perhaps some of that interest can develop in to a decent Championship loan, unless he's going to get minutes under his belt for our first team, which I doubt.

What was he like as a CB or FB? Just curious.

In pre u18 matches (but remember its difficult to see them that much, mainly seen when u15's/u16's playing on adjacent pitch to u18's plus a couple of tournaments which are streamed etc) was a decent CB and FB but most noteworthy for the number of goals he was scoring - think he was top scorer in one or both seasons at u15 and u16 with something like 20 goals a season.

Thought it might be worth repeating the post match comments of Spurs last game of the season a scoreline of wining 3-1 v Derby County (Premier League 2) which meant Spurs u23's avoided relegation.

'Under-23s Coach Wayne Burnett was pleased with his charges for getting themselves over the line with a good performance on the night and praised Roles for his hat-trick, but underlined his frustration that we’d found ourselves battling to stay afloat in the division in the first place after a season of ups and downs.

“I thought we were very good in the first half, dominated the ball but lacked a little bit of quality with our final delivery,” he said. “We deserved to come in slightly in front but we went out in the second half and didn’t really get the same control, although we managed to get another goal to make it 3-1 and then we defended a bit too deep towards the end, which was understandable when we knew the importance of the result. We got a little bit nervous but we saw it out and we defended well. The thing that’s most pleasing for me is that we had a lot of young players in our team who would have gained a lot of experience from tonight.

Jack Roles has an ability to be in the right place and he’s a cool finisher, but I’m really pleased for him because of how hard he worked in and out of possession. He’s scored three very well-taken goals but that’s Jack, he wants to score goals. I’m pleased for the team – it wasn’t a one-man show. We spoke before Swansea and again tonight and said that we have to find a way to win and we did that. We agreed that we can’t be in this position again – we need to be fighting to win the league rather than fighting to stave off relegation. That’s not acceptable from a Club point of view. We can be pleased about tonight and enjoy it, but we all know that we have to make sure that this scenario doesn’t keep happening in the future.”

Roles himself added: “Everyone knew it was vitally important to stay up. It would be terrible for us all if we went down and none of us wanted to have that on our CV so we’re really happy in the end. We all know that the standards weren’t met at times this season and we’re determined to be in a better position going forward. I think the early goal helped us, it settled the nerves but we were confident that if we played our game and worked harder than them, we’d come away with the three points. It felt really good to get the hat-trick, it was a great assist from RJ (Richards) for the third one. I thought he was going to go himself because he’s a striker but he found me and I couldn’t miss!”

In pre u18 matches (but remember its difficult to see them that much, mainly seen when u15's/u16's playing on adjacent pitch to u18's plus a couple of tournaments which are streamed etc) was a decent CB and FB but most noteworthy for the number of goals he was scoring - think he was top scorer in one or both seasons at u15 and u16 with something like 20 goals a season.
cheers for that

Did I get it right, he scored those goals from CB/FB?

Worth re-seeing these clips from the u23 match v Swansea, where Roles (4 mins 24 secs) intercepts a Swansea pass on the half way line and immediately attempts to score frim the half way line - a much more audacious and difficult to execute attempt than Beckham's goal v Wimbledon which brought him to world attention. Roles attempt just went over the Swansea goal so it wasn't a goal, but reason I post it is that Roles (whose goals are almost always from in or around the penalty area) had the confidence to attempt it. If he can add long distance shooting to his repertoire (as this attempt suggests he can) then he takes another step up to being a very dangerous goalscorer.

Also noteworthy in the clip is Troy Parrott scoring 2 excellent goals (especially the 2nd on 5mins 05 sec) , and Swansea's scorer 20 year old (W u21) Liam Cullen who a Swansea fan thinks is being watched by Spurs who made one domestic cup appearance for Swansea - might be superceded if Spurs have signed the Notts County striker Kion Etete but if we signed and loaned back Cullen it could work, especially if Swansea are short of cash as we seem to have a decent relationship with them (loans Caulker, CCV etc).

Agree with all that. He's a local Enfield lad, he's been with Spurs since he was knee high and seems to have a real affinity with Spurs (as you might expect given the time he's been there) and I've seen a couple of pics on social media (not sure if genuine or not so wont repost) of Roles with some of the other Spurs youngsters including Kane looking to be about 19/20 with Roles then maybe 14 on hols enjoying themselves which is always good to see.

That talent of right place right time is very difficult to teach so have a lot of confidence he'll make a good career in football, hopefully at Spurs, as he seems a real dedicated hardworking lad with lots of talent.

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS A summary of the retained and released lists I'd imagine :

The Club can confirm the departure of Michel Vorm following the conclusion of his contract.

Michel, 35, joined us from Swansea City in July, 2014, and went on to make 47 appearances in all competitions.

The Dutch international goalkeeper, capped 15 times for his country, proved to be a valuable member of the squad both on and off the pitch.

We wish Michel every success in the future.

The Club can also confirm the departures of Development Squad players Dylan Duncan, Charlie Freeman, Tom Glover, Connor Ogilvie and Jamie Reynolds.

We wish them all the best in the next stage of their careers.

We are pleased to confirm that Japhet Tanganga and Jack Roles have signed new contracts with the Club until 2020 and 2021 respectively, whilst striker Kion Etete has joined from Notts County.

Etete, 17, made six first team appearances for The Magpies in 2018/19 and will join our Academy set-up.

Notts County have confirmed that young forward Kion Etete has joined Tottenham Hotspur.

The 17-year-old, who has been at Notts since the age of 14, enjoyed a successful trial at Hotspur Way earlier this year, impressing sufficiently to attract a bid from the Champions League finalists.

Etete, who follows in the recent footsteps of Dongda He (Wolves) and Jack Bearne (Liverpool) in progressing from Notts’ academy to earn a move to the Premier League, made his senior debut against Newcastle United’s Under 21s in last season’s Checkatrade Trophy before going on to make a further five appearances for the Magpies.

He leaves with the club’s best wishes for the future.

Kion Etete had signed his first pro contract at Notts County last November, so I assume Spurs have also given him a pro contract.

BTW, the main reason for Etete joining Spurs is probably Notts County owner going into liquidation and club falling out of EFL.

Last edited:
So 5 Development players released out of about 23 Development Players (including Skipp) so 18 left

About 14 Academy Year 2 Players get Pro Contracts and join the Development Squad, so that's 32 or certainly over 30 Development Squad players to start 2019/20.

Cannot all play at Spurs in u23's, so I guess about half (16) or more need to go out on loan or be involved with first team, leaving a little room for the first years like Troy Parrott, Dennis Cirkin, Harvey White and Luis Binks from next Years Academy Year 2 some room to continue playing in the u23's as they have been this season,

The 18 left in the Development squad from this season, some of whom I expected to leave, but a number are now more likely to go on loan or be involved in first team squad, are :

Whiteman - might become 3rd GK
Austin
de Bie
Eyoma
Tangana (1 year extension to 2020 so if he goes on loan, contract probably extended again ?)
Dinzeyi
Hinds
Amos - First Team Squad ?
Skipp - First team squad ?
Marsh - First Team Squad ?
Oakley-Boothe
Roles
Edwards
Sashoua
Georgiou
Tracey
Harrison,
Sterling

Time for Spurs to appoint a full time Loans Officer/u23 manager (in addition to an u23 coach) ?

Last edited:
WindyCOYS WindyCOYS

Retained Players
Contracts

Alderweireld, Toby Albertine
Alli, Bamidele Jermaine
Amos, Luke Ayodele

Aurier, Serge
Austin, Brandon Anthony

Bowden, Jamie Patrick
Carter-Vickers, Cameron

Clarke, Rayan Romario
Davies, Benjamin Thomas
De Bie, Jonathan

Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema

Edwards, Marcus
Eriksen, Christian
Etete, Kion Reece

Eyoma, Timothy Joel
Foyth, Juan Marcos
Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino
Georgiou, Anthony Michael

Harrison, Shayon (offer)
Heung-Min, Son
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron

Janssen, Vincent Petrus Anna
Kane, Harry
Lamela, Erik
Lloris, Hugo
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn

Maghoma, Edmond-Paris
Markanday, Dilan Kumar
Marsh, George Owen (offer)
Mukendi, Jeremie
Nkoudou Mbida, Georges-Kevin
Oakley-Boothe, Tashan

Okedina, Jubril Adesope
Onomah, Joshua
Parrott, Troy Daniel
Patterson, Phoenix MacLaren
Pochettino Grippaldi, Maurizio
Richards, Rodel Kurai
Rodrigues Moura da Silva, Lucas
Roles, Jack (offer)

Rose, Daniel Lee
Sanchez Mina, Davinson
Shashoua, Armando

Shashoua, Samuel
Sissoko, Moussa
Skipp, Oliver William

Statham, Maxwell Louis
Sterling, Kazaiah
Tainio, Maximus Mikael
Tanganga, Japhet Manzambi (offer)
Thorpe, Elliot Morgan
Tracey, Shilow
Trippier, Kieran John
Vertonghen, Jan
Walker-Peters, Kyle
Wanyama, Victor
White, Harvey David

Whiteman, Alfie
Winks, Harry

Scholars
Asante, Enock Amponsah
Bennett, J'Neil Lloyd
Binks, Luis Thomas
Cirkin, Dennis
Cooper, Chay
Fagan-Walcott, Malachi Michael
Kurylowicz, Kacper
Oluwayemi, Oluwaferanmi Joshua (offer contract)
Pedder, Rafferty

Development Squad Players in Blue (including Academy scholars with Pro Contracts)

Last edited:
Does this mean that Joshua Oluwayemi is getting a pro or third year scholarship?

Baffled by Harrison being kept on.

I think it means he's been offered a pro contract but hasn't yet accepted it (by comparison Tanganga already had a pro contract and was being offered one when the Retained List was submitted to PL), but it could be ambiguous.

Baffled by Harrison (although I liked him, he and Sterling don't look like they will make it at Spurs), Tracey and a few others - especially with the numbers now in Development squad, one might have expected more of a 'cull' of those who are not going to make it.

Shame about Reynolds. I was impressed when I saw him play but injuries obviously a big issue. Hopefully he can get another club.

Jamie Reynolds

Tenacious left-footer Jamie Reynolds enjoyed an excellent season with our Under-18s in 2017-18, before cruelly being laid low with a knee injury in a league defeat at Norwich in April, 2018.
Having been in and out of the side in central midfield during his first campaign at that level in 2016-17, he transitioned to a left-back role under Scott Parker at the start of 2017-18 and never looked back, featuring 19 times in the league and starting all nine cup matches at that level as we took part in the FA Youth Cup and reached the final of the inaugural Under-18 Premier League Cup, where we lost to Chelsea.
Jamie was born in Westminster and brought up in Grays, Essex. Attending William Edwards School in Grays, he spent time in Chelsea’s Academy while also turning out for Grays Cosmos youth teams prior to joining us full-time.
Injured for much of 2015-16, he did return to action for the final few matches of that campaign for our Under-16s.
He made 13 appearances for us in the Under-18 Premier League in 2016-17, six of which were starts, and scored his first goal at that level in a 2-2 home draw with Stoke City in March, 2017. He also made one substitute appearance against Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road in our run to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals and was a member of our IMG Cup-winning squad in Florida in December, 2016.

Looks like one of the next things on the Youth Agenda (other than maybe individual development squad players going on loan) will be the announcement of the new First Year Academy where best guesses are :

Isak Solberg (GK)
Timothee Lo'Totula (GK)
Tobi Oluwayemi (GK)
Dermi Lusala (RB/CB/DM)
Marques Muir (CB)
Kalum Cesay (RB/CM)
Jeremy Kyezu (LB)
Michael Craig (CB/DM)
Matthew Craig (CM/AM)
Romaine Mundle (mid)
Nile John (AM)
Max Robson (AM)
Eddie Carrington-Alberdi
Tarrelle Whitaker (CF)
Often there are one or two not above who are recruited and one or two of the above may not make it into Spurs Academy. But that's the initial list of 14 , of whom about half have made their Spurs u18 debuts.

Anthony Georgiou came off the bench for Cyprus tonight and got an assist against Scotland.

Decent player, still don't understand why we bought N'Koudou as Georgiou has a similar skill set.

Think he will be on loan again as we don't play with traditional wingers anymore, and whilst Georgiou can also play LWB he's not good enough defensively, sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom