Spurs v Villa 19/20 Ratings and Ramblings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
It's defending 101 Blakey play the ball not the man ... if Sanchez concentrates on heading the long ball there is probably no danger, I've not seen a replay but it looked first time up that Sanchez and ???? tangle allowing the ball to bounce ... after that Rose falls over and Hugo is a a bit weak with the left hand, but credit to the striker it's great finish. Golden rule never let the long ball bounce ... we did and it cost us.
It's not on Davinson whatsoever, it's Rose not marking McGinn's run properly. Keep clutching straws

So now we're saying that when a long, hopeful punt is booted 60 yards up the middle of the pitch a CB (any CB) is supposed tangle with the attacker and "not let him get a sniff", instead of attacking the ball and heading it clear.

Fair enough.

Edit: I will look forward to every CB not heading the ball from now on.

I've just watched it again, because it never occurred to me that Sanchez could head it clear and wanted to make sure I hadn't imagined it. It sails miles over his head Steve. How an earth was he supposed to head it?

It's defending 101 Blakey play the ball not the man ... if Sanchez concentrates on heading the long ball there is probably no danger, I've not seen a replay but it looked first time up that Sanchez and ???? tangle allowing the ball to bounce ... after that Rose falls over and Hugo is a a bit weak with the left hand, but credit to the striker it's great finish. Golden rule never let the long ball bounce ... we did and it cost us.

See my answer above. It sails miles over his head, unless Sanchez grows about 20 ft taller, how does he head it?

I've just watched it again, because it never occurred to me that Sanchez could head it clear and wanted to make sure I hadn't imagined it. It sails miles over his head Steve. How an earth was he supposed to head it?
Admittedly I've only seen it the once, link ?
Imv because he got drawn to the attacker too soon instead of standing off for a bit therefore he was unable to adjust to the flight of the ball.
I could be wrong hence asking for a link.

Lloris - 6
Didn't have to do much and didn't save the goal.

KWP- 7.5
Decent performance. Didn't play any killer balls but he showed a willingness to beat players on the dribble that Trippier lacked.

Toby - 7.5
Clearly he didn't have a lot of help in the back four.

Sanchez - 6
Not terrible, but I don't know what he was doing on the goal. Clearly didn't have the awareness to realize a player was running in behind.
A long 50 yard pass over the top Sanchez was tight to the centre forward as he should have been rose was at fault for the goal

Just seen the replay put up and am ready to admit I was wrong.
:pochbye:

The stats and scoreline show a comfortable victory but watching it I believe it was far from that. With injuries, suspensions and late purchases, our start was always going to be difficult. Watching the match I was thinking we could play for a few hours and not score it just looked like that for much of the match. We were playing a promoted team and they had many new players and we really should not needed such a late goal/s to win it.
Poch still has many problems to sort out to get us playing anything like our best during his reign. Eriksen not able to play 90 mins is a worry and not sure how long before Dele and Lo Celso ready to start. Yesterday no one seemed able to take responsibility until Eriksen came on to break through and instead played the safe ball. Some poor shooting did not help either. Match best forgotten, 3 points and move on.
Thought Walker Peters played well but disappointed with Moura and Lamela who both looked good in pre season.

If Rose continued to cover, he'd have got the ball. Rose completely switches off and then when he scrambles back, he makes yet another error by going to ground.

Round about the 15 second mark, Rose sort of hesitates for no reason. Everything he done after that didn't help his cause.

In f act, just by watching that clip I am not even sure Sanchez could EVER make a header to clear it. It's a wildly overhit ball which McGinn gambled on fair play to him. Sissoko poor for not tracking him. Rose poor for failing to cover and going to ground.

Rose fucked up but Sanchez and Winks both also at fault to varying degrees.

It was also blind luck, too, and a heads up play by McGinn to get on the end of it.

KWP surprised me with his outstanding performance. Stand out player apart from Eriksen.
Without Eriksen coming on we don't win that football match. So he's the only logical candidate for MotM.

#eriksenmuststay

Last edited:
I've not watched the replays, but what I'm not sure about is why the left back is taking the blame for not getting to a player attacking the right hand channel? If Davo was tight against the highest man where was Toby?

Been watching the match highlights on OS a few times - fair point re Alderweireld.

Alderweireld is coming back, but far too slowly, so he cannot influence events.

Have been worried he might be slowing down with age - will be watching whether that's the case in the next few games.

Certainly true he should have been running back as fast as he could, and either he isn't or he can't get the speed a CB needs.

I've not watched the replays, but what I'm not sure about is why the left back is taking the blame for not getting to a player attacking the right hand channel? If Davo was tight against the highest man where was Toby?
If Rose continued to cover, he'd have got the ball. Rose completely switches off and then when he scrambles back, he makes yet another error by going to ground.

Round about the 15 second mark, Rose sort of hesitates for no reason. Everything he done after that didn't help his cause.

In f act, just by watching that clip I am not even sure Sanchez could EVER make a header to clear it. It's a wildly overhit ball which McGinn gambled on fair play to him. Sissoko poor for not tracking him. Rose poor for failing to cover and going to ground.

Here's the replay, if you pause it at 46 seconds and do a rock and roll sort of thing you'll see Toby is covering the long ball over KWP.
Sanchez is tight to the attacker, whose looking to get the ball to feet, which Sanchez HAS to cover, so as not to allow the attacker to control it, turn, look up and pick a pass.
If you look at it as the ball is played (46 secs) Danny is looking at the ball and can see Mcginn and should have tucked in a lot earlier and been alive to the danger.

My issue is that it was obvious even to me who has never played the game, that Mings was going to have to go long even before he received the ball. We had a good press on and he had no options. Plus his body shape and subsequently his first touch screamed that was what he was doing. If I could tell then surely the players should have seen it and reacted accordingly. I still think it's harsh laying the bulk of criticism on Danny who had to track from his left back position all the way across the area to attempt the challenge. I think probably KWP and Toby should shoulder at least equal blame.

Here's the replay, if you pause it at 46 seconds and do a rock and roll sort of thing you'll see Toby is covering the long ball over KWP.
Sanchez is tight to the attacker, whose looking to get the ball to feet, which Sanchez HAS to cover, so as not to allow the attacker to control it, turn, look up and pick a pass.
If you look at it as the ball is played (46 secs) Danny is looking at the ball and can see Mcginn and should have tucked in a lot earlier and been alive to the danger.

If we should blame anyone, I'd go with Toby. As a midfielder you can't alway track down a deep run, and then you would like your defenders to take over, as they should be able to see the danger immediately. If Toby hadn't taken a position that wide, he could have taken over Wesley and pushed Davinson towards McGinns run.

If we should blame anyone, I'd go with Toby. As a midfielder you can't alway track down a deep run, and then you would like your defenders to take over, as they should be able to see the danger immediately. If Toby hadn't taken a position that wide, he could have taken over Wesley and pushed Davinson towards McGinns run.
I agree with the highlighted bit.
Danny's starting position was too wide and he had plenty of time to see McGinn, tuck in and cover his run, regardless of any midfielder. In the video you can see him "looking through" McGinn to see the ball.
I still think that Toby had to cover the long ball over the top of KWP.

I agree with the highlighted bit.
Danny's starting position was too wide and he had plenty of time to see McGinn, tuck in and cover his run, regardless of any midfielder. In the video you can see him "looking through" McGinn to see the ball.
I still think that Toby had to cover the long ball over the top of KWP.

I don't think it should be our LBs job to track down a midfielder running through the middle (posibly a tat closer to the line in KWPs side). TBF Rose did catch him, his decision to go down was unfortunately the wrong one. Toby's position so much deeper than KWP would still allow him to cover had he started in a more central area.

Its the fist game that I have seen something in KWP that convinces me he may be the answer. I know he played well against Newcastle but I was not convinced. He seemed to play within himself on Saturday suggesting there is more to come.

Would love to be proved wrong on this one and there is a good PL player there, seems to have a great attitude.

I don't think it should be our LBs job to track down a midfielder running through the middle (posibly a tat closer to the line in KWPs side). TBF Rose did catch him, his decision to go down was unfortunately the wrong one. Toby's position so much deeper than KWP would still allow him to cover had he started in a more central area.

I disagree with this in the context of the goal.
If a LB sees a runner, coming through the middle, with no one else around he absolutely has to track him, tuck in to cover the run etc.
As a defender you have to try and cover the immediate danger, McGinn in this case, there was no other danger/attacking players around.
I' not blaming Danny for going down, he was trying to block a shot and got it wrong, it's his starting position that was at fault. There was no need whatsoever to be that wide.

Back
Top Bottom