SPURS-FANS-STAND-BAN!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only thing that stokes a next generation of loud n proud , football obsessed attendees is an influx of teens and early 20's, but sadly modern football prices that demographic out of the game..... As the arrival of the EPL did to me overnight and for a chunk of the mid 90's.
I agree with you.
You see young kids with their parents, but you don't really see groups of teenagers or groups of people in their early 20s. I have only seen a few groups in this age group.

But maybe it has always been the case that people in the their late teens and 20s stop going so much when they discover drink and drugs. But that the higher prices have made going less appealing and less likely.

I agree with you.
You see young kids with their parents, but you don't really see groups of teenagers or groups of people in their early 20s. I have only seen a few groups in this age group.

But maybe it has always been the case that people in the their late teens and 20s stop going so much when they discover drink and drugs. But that the higher prices have made going less appealing and less likely.

For me it's the income gap between M&D paying for things and yourself being old enough to afford them for yourself.

I hate to sound like an old fart, but when i was a school kid I could fund a trip to WHL (Train from Essex + ticket) on a week's paper round money. EPL arrived and within 12 months, what was a £7 ticket shot up to around £20 and so started the rot... That was me fucked until I had the proverbial 'proper' job.

Maybe some of the 70s and 80s crew can comment:

Were there more packs of teens and early 20s on the terraces back then?

You think that died with the advent of the EPL?

....Or is it's fading a more recent thing than that?

Also what is persistent? There are people complaining that they can't see when we have a chance. Next step is everyone locked to their seat. No standing even for a goal.
Persistent is bound to be subjective and each steward is likely to have a different opinion on what constitutes it. It’s most likely to be whether the “persistent offender” passes the attitude test and how arsed the steward is about being a jobsworth.

Last edited:
The City game put to bed the prices and age groups being the issue.
Probably the best home atmosphere since the 84 final.

Sadly that won’t happen again because half the people who stood and sang have been turfed

For me it's the income gap between M&D paying for things and yourself being old enough to afford them for yourself.

I hate to sound like an old fart, but when i was a school kid I could fund a trip to WHL (Train from Essex + ticket) on a week's paper round money. EPL arrived and within 12 months, what was a £7 ticket shot up to around £20 and so started the rot... That was me fucked until I had the proverbial 'proper' job.

There were always big groups of teenagers and twenty somethings at football in the 70s and 80s. Just listen to the crowds and you can hear the youth in the voices.

In 76-77 I used to earn £17 a week in a part time job and that used to fund me home and away.

I was back row of the middle tier in the Paxton for the City game and I didn’t sit down once. Atmosphere was good.

Super excited to be in the park lane for the Huddersfield game and people were barely stood up, being moaned at by families when they were. First 25 mins until we scored the atmosphere was good but after that it was painful.

The 17,500 stand is a great idea but it needed to be sold as a singing section or whatever. Anyone that went to the lane knew you if you were a family you generally went to the Paxton or west stand but now we’ve had thousands of ST’s sold to people who only have STs because they paid for one at Wembley. There will always be some that sing but over time, once the novelty of the new stadium wears off, I really fear for the atmosphere.

The 17,500 stand is a great idea but it needed to be sold as a singing section or whatever
The stupid thing is that it was sold as that, and our second game showed what it can do.....by game three the club have handed out bans for persistent standing. Persistent? THREE games in?

You get Moura and Son geeing up the crowd, and they arent allowed to respond.

Have the club had a meeting with the players to explain that actually, DeBruyne was right and we want it to be just like Wembley?

Could have just gone to Straftford after all Levy if you where going to have stewards and fans kicking off and no atmosphere. Pathetic state of affairs.

Last edited:
Don’t worry everyone can sit down, and maybe a happy clapper on every seat.
Clearly the club thought the City crowd was a tad too riff raffy and loud.

We can always play that drum over the PA again, maybe bring that band from the concourse into the South Stand and get people to have running man dance offs.

As long as you stay for two hours after and ploug money into the bars, after taking a right hook from one of the clubs stewards for celebrating a goal for too long.....some cunt with a puppet behind you can’t see the pitch for his funny YouTube video you see.

Will be lovely to have West Ham sing us under the table and mug us off....at least our world class acoustics will show the whole world how loud they were. I wonder if they will be allowed to stand? Hmmmmm

And in the summer we can go and watch some cunting Yank shit with some cunts called the something Rams vs the something Pheasants, and eat corn dogs and whoop and high five.

Inspired by Dortmund they said....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Spursy
Well fucking done you wankers
Could not agree more. Well said.

I agree with you.

It's the prices that kill of people in there 20s. The 1882 bit in the middle of the park lane should have been very cheap under 25. Instead the club went for the money. What a fucking shower.

YES . never felt alone or stood out.....

YES. my season ticket doubled in price (which meant i gave it up)

Nah, the price now is ridiculous

I think we are "missing" a generation of supporters. Cost is a factor but there is so much more going on today that wasn't available in the 70s and 80s. I might be generalising but teenagers today are more interested in living their lives electronically, everything is available at a touch of a button.
TV and the Premier League has made football fashionable and elitist, and far too easy to watch the game from home. Gone are the days when you just turned up and paid on the door. We're not the only ones that suffer because of football tourists, the game is now a brand and a product and is 'sold' accordingly. Difficult, in fact, nigh on impossible to turn the clock back. Doubt the authorities would want to, all those nasty hooligans to deal with!

if You don’t want to stand all game then you shouldn’t sit in the south stand, it’s like a vegan going to the butchers to buy dinner, if you wanna sit or bring your kids who can’t stand sit in the Paxton, the game that was about glory is becoming more about profit and a new breed of fans who want to sit and watch the “mighty” spurs in between a vegan hot dog and a snack of pop corn, won’t be long before they make half time half an hour to give every cunt the chance to refill on tofu :dembelefingers:

I think we are "missing" a generation of supporters. Cost is a factor but there is so much more going on today that wasn't available in the 70s and 80s. I might be generalising but teenagers today are more interested in living their lives electronically, everything is available at a touch of a button.
TV and the Premier League has made football fashionable and elitist, and far too easy to watch the game from home. Gone are the days when you just turned up and paid on the door. We're not the only ones that suffer because of football tourists, the game is now a brand and a product and is 'sold' accordingly. Difficult, in fact, nigh on impossible to turn the clock back. Doubt the authorities would want to, all those nasty hooligans to deal with!

I work in a school and most of the kids and staff think football is a computer game- FIFA

I stood on the shelf late 70s and most of the 80s and can confirm that there were hundreds of teenagers/young adults in that area.Around 1982 it was £2.20 to get in ( or £1.10 if you were under 16!!)This golden age led to thousands of us becoming life long diehard yids.
On another note the away support was massive back then with an average age of no more than 30,I was at Liverpool two weeks ago and the average age of our support must have been 50( I too brought the average up)
So now it is way way too expensive for kids to get in(and even if they could they would be spread out and forced to sit) and it is impossible for them to access away tickets.I fear all the predictions of gloom about our new stadium will prove sadly accurate and it will become popcorn south central.The game we grew up with and loved has gone only to replaced by a sanitised, corporate version.Shame.

Next home game should sit silently for the first 20 minutes, regardless of action, celebrate any goals seated with polite applause, then the whole ground should stand up and sing in full voice...”is this what you wannnnnnnt Tottenham Hotspur is this what you want”

Sadly, it is what they want, so back to the drawing board.

I’d love the manager and players to comment openly should the atmosphere go sterile.

I stood on the shelf late 70s and most of the 80s and can confirm that there were hundreds of teenagers/young adults in that area.Around 1982 it was £2.20 to get in ( or £1.10 if you were under 16!!)This golden age led to thousands of us becoming life long diehard yids.
On another note the away support was massive back then with an average age of no more than 30,I was at Liverpool two weeks ago and the average age of our support must have been 50( I too brought the average up)
So now it is way way too expensive for kids to get in(and even if they could they would be spread out and forced to sit) and it is impossible for them to access away tickets.I fear all the predictions of gloom about our new stadium will prove sadly accurate and it will become popcorn south central.The game we grew up with and loved has gone only to replaced by a sanitised, corporate version.Shame.

Exactly. I enjoyed Palace (opening game) & City (CL) but Huddersfield was comparatively poor because of heavy handed stewarding and is likely to be the norm. Does anyone actually think Brighton will be a good atmosphere?

I haven't been able to get a seat in the South Stand as yet. Just curious and not a dig in any way. But, can the 1882 crowd see the game if those immediately in front of them were to stand up ? Or is there a staggered step up to the 1882 section.

Built a proper ground for who it makes you wonder?
No offence but where was Sons personal fan club before Wembley?

I saw a news clip about hip hop clubs in posh areas not letting in people who looked....well, too hip hop.
One of them said, “they want the best music, and the best DJs but not the real crowd”

Funny thing here is, we built in ine of the poorest boroughs in the country, and banged on about community, but we dont want locals
:harrysmile:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom