Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we are now likely to sign a striker in January on the cheap anyway as cover. Where was the harm in spending some money now so a new striker could at least adjust to the club so we don't have the panic button being hit in the January window & have another manager looking over his shoulder waiting for Danny's Dagger in the end of season run in.

This is exactly why we should have done whatever it took to get JRod in this window (read: swap Townsend), and assumed some risk regarding his recovery. It is that gamble that makes a player of his quality affordable. When he appears to be healthy and firing on all cylinders in January his price will only skyrocket and other clubs with injured strikers may be circling. Meanwhile, even a productive Ade might be packing his bags for Africa.

Did I mention he can play on the wing, is completely comfortable with Poch's system, and English?

and would surely be the most nuanced Spanish-English translator on the squad?

This is a very question-begging assertion. "One player short" means absolutely nothing, since that player would have taken another's role in the squad, in the XI, etc. Usefully predicting that effect is dodgy enough. Asserting it as a counter historical "fact" is outrageous.

Football is so complex a proposition that to say "if only we had x, we would have gotten two more points" is insulting in its cavalier simplicity.
Better players tend to translate into better results, on average

There is a point that better teams offer better results, an example of this would be when Greece & Denmark won the European Championships. Individually not great, yes in each team you might be able to name some great players but there are exceptions to the rule of 'better players translate to better results'.

Perhaps a better extrapolation is that better coaches make better teams, better teams make better players and as a result they become more successful. So when you apply that to us, we have to grow our own squad and improve the talent we have.

Yes, I do - if the chairman expects Champions League football from the team and manager every season. That's why Jol, Arry and AVB (most recently) were sacked. No one that I've read on here is demanding the title (happy to be shown a direct quote) - 4th place has always been our aim

I don't think they expect that. I think that's what they were hoping for, what they were aiming for, but not something they expected. Jol saw major investments in the squad and failed to deliver good results the season he got fired, but he's also rumoured to be a difficult man to work with. Harry did amazingly well, but the fall from glory after his court case and the England job debacle was terrible - he pretty much sacked himself. AVB played horrible, static, unspursy football, having WHL moaning and groaning pretty much every home game, and the team was worse and seemed less willing to work for AVB with every passing game, every passing week.

I fully agree with at least the last two sackings - know too little about the Jol one though. I wish Harry could continue wielding his magic - our football was amazing and results equally good - but with the way it turned out in the end there was no other option.

Agree - sell Bale for £90m and buy 7 players for £85m = £5m profit

no consideration for the fact that those 7 players wages will likely total 5 times Bale's....
I think in 2013 summer transfer window the wage difference was marginal .
7 players bought . With Bale , Gallas, Caulker, Parker, Huddlestone , Dempsey, Bentley let go.
A host of fringe players such as Bostock also went.
We also must except that everything does go up.
Also we made a 10 million profit in the window,
Thatcherism perfected .

I think in 2013 summer transfer window the wage difference was marginal .
7 players bought . With Bale , Gallas, Caulker, Parker, Huddlestone , Dempsey, Bentley let go.
A host of fringe players such as Bostock also went.
We also must except that everything does go up.
Also we made a 10 million profit in the window,
Thatcherism perfected .

I'll take it a level further than you then:

Player X is on £50,000 pw and has one year left on his contract - the cost of his contract is £2.5m
Player Y is signed in his place on £50,000 pw a new five year contract - the cost of his contract is £12.5m
= £10m total /or £2m per season to be deducted from your wages and transfer budget

I'll take it a level further than you then:

Player X is on £50,000 pw and has one year left on his contract - the cost of his contract is £2.5m
Player Y is signed in his place on £50,000 pw a new five year contract - the cost of his contract is £12.5m
= £10m total /or £2m per season to be deducted from your wages and transfer budget
Are you implying all wages are paid up-front on a 5-year contract?

Are you implying all wages are paid up-front on a 5-year contract?

No, a well run club should run budgets for 5 years though as that's a standard length contract for a major purchase.

The wages and transfer budget are one and the same.

The only thing levy can be criticised for imo is being too cautious, I think his financial model is always set pretty close to the worst case scenario.

The wages and transfer budget are one and the same.
Not really - not even on the annual report.

Most of our contracts are the usual 4+2 options, iirc - but even on a 5-year deal there is little guarantee the player would see it out completely

I believe we have paid the price previously for not bringing in the necessary quality, starting from transfer window January 2011

Better players tend to translate into better results, on average
Right. On average. Signing a top striker might have improved our point total, but it might also not have.

My disagreement is with the rhetorical certainty that third place was just a pricy striker away, say.

Right. On average. Signing a top striker might have improved our point total, but it might also not have.

My disagreement is with the rhetorical certainty that third place was just a pricy striker away, say.

I think it's clear we had a choice 4-5 seasons ago as well:

Route a) Spend big and possibly get into the Champions League for a few seasons, whilst knowing that one slip would set us back big time.

Route b) Save money for the training ground, stadium and developing youth team players and attempt to build a club that compete long term.

There was no real compromise between the two save for the odd gamble in the transfer market.

Back
Top Bottom