Southampton (A) - 28th Dec

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with the sentiments - if his argument is weak then challenge and expose it with a superior argument.

I think the sin bin option is there to self police the forum from the most vulgar of comments, not create a safe-space for snowflakes who get offended or 'triggered' by mild irritants.

The idea of "self policing" fails when some people blatantly have multiple accounts they use to spam sin-bin. Not only that but there's various "cliques" on the forum who will work together to get certain people banned. On top of that you run into "enemy of the month" scenarios where if you say 1 stupid thing people will hound every post you make for a short while.

It's a nice idea and for the most part it works well, but isn't perfect by any means. Several times I've weighed up whether replying to someone is worth the probable sin-bin and just put them on ignore instead.

You've obviously not met me

People treat each other like cunts all the time and call it "banter".
I've offered to meet you- so have no worries at all that if you took me up on it, I wouldn't have an issue with you. I'm up north on 16th & 17th January if you want me to buy you a pint.

Banter is one thing. Calling people nonces, faggots, suggesting suicide etc goes beyond general good humoured cuntery & strays Into sinister & uncomfortable ground for most normal folk.

Agree with the sentiments - if his argument is weak then challenge and expose it with a superior argument.

I think the sin bin option is there to self police the forum from the most vulgar of comments, not create a safe-space for snowflakes who get offended or 'triggered' by mild irritants.

Yes but you presume that he is prepared to enter discussion. He isn't, well not at least any time I've challenged him. I presume its because, as i said, his comments aren't given much thought initially. It equates to being spam ultimately and in my mind the forum is here for engaging opinion AND debate.

People are entitled to express themselves and let off steam, but if that's all they offer then they are not really adding anything to the community imo.

Yes, i could just ignore him, like you ignore that mild itch in your undercrackers. But before you know it there is an infestation, and you're back to see the nurse for a tube of ointment. Besides is it not the duty of any community to self regulate themselves?

It's pretty simple though really, I've never acted like a cunt on here and I've never been binned, go figure.

Yeah he ignored me the other day when I pulled him up on a comment and asked him a further question, I just view it that he just showed himself up. That's the beauty of free speech, idiots will always reveal themselves in the end.

Not sure if it is the duty of a community to self regulate itself or not,all I know is that if people can't be sensible how they go about things or can't regulate or police themselves then invariably some sort of authority will take charge and people won't like the consequences and freedoms lost.

I've offered to meet you- so have no worries at all that if you took me up on it, I wouldn't have an issue with you. I'm up north on 16th & 17th January if you want me to buy you a pint.

Banter is one thing. Calling people nonces, faggots, suggesting suicide etc goes beyond general good humoured cuntery & strays Into sinister & uncomfortable ground for most normal folk.

Quite agree

We all have differing points of view and I really don't care if I'm called a cunt, twat etc but being called a nonce/paedo goes beyond the pale as is bringing up suicide etc

I do think Case should take really strong action this time as it's the same people doing it and spoiling a good forum!

Back
Top Bottom