So what are we going to call it?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1150.jpg

There was a Michael Cox (gooner) article about Eric Dier yesterday, there was a very telling parargraph in it...

"The 2-0 victory confirms Tottenham will finish above Woolwich for the first time since before Wenger took charge but Pochettino is keen to state that Spurs have far loftier ambitions than that. In truth, Woolwich’s ‘St. Totteringham’s Day’ celebrations became pronounced in the years when they weren’t regular title challengers, almost as a consolation for genuine success. There’s a sense that this Tottenham side aren’t looking over their shoulders, but instead looking up the league table towards the summit."

That's very revealing. I like it alot. I figured the day was all about enjoying the hate, but this makes way more sense. I already started to agree with most of the 'fuck em, ignore it' responses, but this closes the argument shut.

Agree with the above... by sheer definition, St Totteringham's Day meant they were looking behind them (annoyingly as it turned out, at us) but this is a new way of looking at success... you don't judge it by someone else's failure... or else we'd have been having a St Hammering's Day for the past 25 years... but we haven't... 'cos we're better than them... (West ham and Arseanal) in both senses of the phrase.

On the pitch, our finishing above Woolwich has been a long time coming... but off it, we've (I hope) shown more class and decency about us in the 21 years of having to fucking hear about it from them... but now, now we finally have finished above them, they don't quite know what to do... but i'm sure they're expecting a similar backlash...
But maybe we don't give them what they expect or want.

In fact, I hope we don't come up with some poxy name for it... 'cos that just makes them relevant... which they're not! That is way more powerful than acknowledging them every fucking year, rather than concentrating on our own future, and hopefully the success that comes with it!

The old adage is still true; "There's one thing worse than a bad loser... a bad winner"
Woolwich and their fucking online poll fanbase have proved to be both down the years... let's not stoop to their levels, eh?

What we could have...is the name for the day when they give their old fart of a manager a new contract. Now that would be funny, & the correct name for it would split their fans even wider.

Such a glorious glorious day yesterday. Just singing "you're fucking shit" was enough....

It doesn't need a name. It doesn't need acknowledging as I prefer not to acknowledge them as an entity. Enjoy it for what it is, a great win over the most hated of rivals and move on.

Which, unfortunately coincided with Trippier being subbed... it must've confused the hell out of him to hear that as he walked off!
...if we're not careful, 'Tripps' will get the hump 'cos he thinks the fans hate him, then he'll be off an'all... and we'll have no right-wing backs by the start of next season!!

Back
Top Bottom