Signing you were most excited about but was actually shit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Signing you were most excited about but was actually shi

I always remember around the time Postiga joined I was listening to a Talksport phone in. We Spurs fans were all living in that horrible time of false dawns.
Always hoping the next season would be better than the last, before seeing all our hopes and dreams go pop in a puff of reality.

A Spurs fan called up and as I recall it went something like this:

'I just wanted to talk about us Spurs fans and how we spend every pre-season thinking the next one is going to be better.
This club is always letting us down, we're never going to be the team we were back in the 60s. I'm fed up of listening to all the optimistic Spurs fans banging on and then two games into the seasons it's here we go again.
We need to face facts, were never going to be good enough. We have our moments but we've got to stop living in the past'

There was various chat after this about all the disappointments over the years, lots of agreement from the host.

Then the real gem from the Spurs fan.

'Of course, now we've got Postiga we are making a statement. This season will be different because the Postman will deliver'

The 360 in that one call was beautiful and summed up being a fan at that time in a nutshell. Beautiful.

Of course Postiga could barely deliver a letter next door but then went on to score against England in the Euro's effectively knocking us out.

That was like watching a car crash in slow motion... :gazza2:

Postiga here too. He's clearly a talented player, just not the type of player we needed at the time.

Rebrov....signing him was a real coup- a big name foreign on the overward curve albeit we soon stopped that...but also he just looked all wrong in a tottenham kit- it just looked to big for him - it just didnt fit well

(Actually when was the last johnny foreigner from the eastern block ( wow old school poltic terms you can beat them them) actually any good- I will exclude the Croats from this as Old Yugoslavia were always slightly off the Warsaw Pact radar)

I would think that would be equivalent of say nowadays say Newcastle buying say Cavani or someone like that

and he ended up doing as well as his mate over here in fairness

Otherwise...I would say Hutton recently- £9m notes for a sweaty right back- looks madness now- but he was very highly rated by those in the know and I am sure it was he who played against the Italians and looked like Cafu...albeit a bit butterscotch and pasty ( and that is not butterscotch in the urban slang vibe either..in case Hutton reads this...)

Not sure about people saying Gio was actually shit. He's a very talented player, and normally plays reasonably well. He just has a terrible attitude and likes a drink or two, which has caused a lot of problems, and clearly hasn't settled

Good call on Hutton. "The white Cafu" lmao.

I was gonna say Rebrov and Bentley.

linnet_spur said:
Not sure about people saying Gio was actually shit. He's a very talented player, and normally plays reasonably well. He just has a terrible attitude and likes a drink or two, which has caused a lot of problems, and clearly hasn't settled

Normally plays reasonably well? I must have missed those games!

The game against Shamrock Rovers, the ten minutes he played at Wigan, that's about all I can think of when I can remember thinking Gio played well.

linnet_spur said:

Ha ha ha.....I'm consistently amazed at the amount of slack Gio gets

I wonder if anyone would think he was good if he was from Wigan and called Bob Smith

WindyCOYS said:
linnet_spur said:

Normally plays reasonably well? I must have missed those games!

Unfortunately Gio only plays well during the international break.

Loz said:
Peter Beadle

Ahh, we have a winner!!

I remember being at a pre-season friendly at Dagenham Utd (as was) Beadle made his debut, can't remember anything else about the game other than the most obvious chant of all from the Spurs end;

"Watch out, Beadle's about..."

Never saw him again... oh the irony!!

1882 said:
Loz said:
Peter Beadle

Ahh, we have a winner!!

I remember being at a pre-season friendly at Dagenham Utd (as was) Beadle made his debut, can't remember anything else about the game other than the most obvious chant of all from the Spurs end;

I bet he was handy! :rimshot:

Thelonious said:
1882 said:
Loz said:
Peter Beadle

Ahh, we have a winner!!

Didn't get much of a cheer, but he got a little hand.

Burko said:
Thelonious said:

I remember him missing an absolute sitter, and looking so embarrassed, he did a full on nose-palm!

I thunk you!

1882 said:
Burko said:
Thelonious said:

I remember him missing an absolute sitter, and looking so embarrassed, he did a full on nose-palm!

I thunk you!
You've got to hand it to him though, he kept plugging away.

Dumitrescu - his first handful of games were brilliant then everyone realised he stepped over the ball, feinted left and went right...Ince was dry humped by him for 45 minutes then stopped diving in and the dream was over.

More recently it is difficult to look beyond Gio - although he might not be shit...he is clearly very talented just hasn't worked for us.

That is a different criteria but then I'm playing my own game!

Postiga for me in recent memory I would say Hutton and Bentley. I really was perplexed as to why we signed Bentley with Lennon here but then he seemed like a real character and seemed so happy to play for Spurs. I remember his goal against Woolwich and his reaction after the match you couldn't help but pull for him sadly he has went to shit.

Jason Dozzell is getting too much stick on here, the man will always be a Spurs legend in my eyes as he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Southampton in what was my first Spurs game back in 96. Quality player

In all seriousness I'm going to join the masses and say Rebrov although a more recent one for me I'd say is Steven Pienaar. Also Wayne Routledge is another one

boneycrisp said:
Jason Dozzell is getting too much stick on here, the man will always be a Spurs legend in my eyes as he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Southampton in what was my first Spurs game back in 96. Quality player

In all seriousness I'm going to join the masses and say Rebrov although a more recent one for me I'd say is Steven Pienaar. Also Wayne Routledge is another one

Good shout on Routledge he really was quality for Palace was excited to get him and he was penciled in at RM I think he got hurt in his first game then some unknown bloke named Lennon came on and the rest was history

For me, Rebrov. It was a massive coup back then, he had shredded Europe into pieces with Sheva in an amazing Dynamo Kyiv team who made it to the Champions League semi-final. As far as I can remember his first season wasn't too bad, and the fact that Hoddle didn't seem to like him much didn't help either, but in any case it was a huge disappointment.

A lot of people mentioned Postiga, and also Ricardo Rocha, but about them I can't say I was dissapointed, because I knew exactly what they were worth and I was certainly not excited to see them with a Tottenham shirt. :joejordan:

Back
Top Bottom