Signing you were most excited about but was actually shit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Signing you were most excited about but was actually shi

John Scales annoyed me, he was class before he joined and then just decided he didn't want to play football anymore

Milenko Acimovic was a disappointment, Rebrov wasn't actually as bad as the press he gets to be honest, scored some quality goals for us, Hoddle just didn't fancy him.

I think the follow-up thread to this should be;

"How many hitherto very good players have Tottenham ruined?"

REBROV
POSTIGA
GIO
VEGA was supposed to be the Swiss Beckenbauer when he first joined wasn't he?
PALACIOS (though I realise that such distressing family reasons probably had as much to do with his loss of form)
PAV?
DOHERTY pretty much met my expectations!

...jeez, I reckon we'd have managed to turn RvP shit had he joined us... (it was definitely mooted we were in for him before he 'did a Bergkamp'!)

Blanchflower said:
You could easily come up with a list players the Alex Ferguson has 'ruined'

Ah yes, but for every Kleberson there's a Ronaldo!

I realise most clubs have their occasional disappointments (who predicted Shevchenko being so shit for Chelsea) ...I just wonder what our success/failure rate actually is compared to others??

It feels more like players somehow FIND their form/realise their potential once they leave us, and all of a sudden look like World beaters... step forward Messrs Bent, Zamora & Little Lord Etherington!!

1882 said:
Blanchflower said:
You could easily come up with a list players the Alex Ferguson has 'ruined'

Ah yes, but for every Kleberson there's a Ronaldo!

I realise most clubs have their occasional disappointments (who predicted Shevchenko being so shit for Chelsea) ...I just wonder what our success/failure rate actually is compared to others??

It feels more like players somehow FIND their form/realise their potential once they leave us, and all of a sudden look like World beaters... step forward Messrs Bent, Zamora & Little Lord Etherington!!

Bent is still what he always was - a decent-ish goal scorer in a defensive team that plays with one up front on the counter attack, we've never been that team

Zamora was along time ago, his progression to being an okay PL player didn't happen overnight when he left us

Etherington is a lower level PL player, I suspect your judgement of how good he is might be slightly clouded as the fucker always seems to score against us

Rebrov didn't really turn into a disaster until his second season though, he scored 9 goals his first season, that was as many as any of our forwards scored last year.

1882 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Prince Boateng in our squad these days. Etherington can stay where he is, he's hardly good enough for the mighty Spurs is he?

paulhasissues said:
Dozzell.

I was convinced he would lead us to glory single handed. He didn't.

...and of course when they make the film of his life story, then there's only one player who can portray him accurately; JERMAINE JENAS!

Mind you, was it just me, or did Dozzell remind anyone else of David Howells 'blacked-up'??

2065.jpg
2066.jpg

:shades: ...hello... anyone? :unsure: nope... last chance...? :harryfacepalm: ah, just me then!

I'd throw in Moussa Saib, we'd chased him for ages & he was supposed to make it all work, could mention Gica Popescu too, but he did score a winner against the Arse

Postiga for me. I remember he scored goals in pre season for us and I got all exicited about this new young striker we've got, than when the season came he was shit.

dwallm said:
I'd throw in Moussa Saib, we'd chased him for ages & he was supposed to make it all work, could mention Gica Popescu too, but he did score a winner against the Arse

He left us to become Barca captain!!

Blanchflower said:
John Scales annoyed me, he was class before he joined and then just decided he didn't want to play football anymore

This is symptomatic of a number of players in the 90s and 00s, who were either aging by the standards of the day but who were elsewhere 'proven' but seemingly showed up to grace our treatment table, for a pension-inflating pay cheque or to be let go for a song and resurrect their careers elsewhere. So many examples its mind-boggling how we're not languishing somewhere in League 1.

I do not agree on Jenas , his first two seasons were not at all that poor and tbf he played some blinders.

But he never was consitent enough but you cant compare him to the other ones, certainly not Postiga who in the end was Mediocre at best for almost every club he played for and the NT

1882 said:
paulhasissues said:
Dozzell.

I was convinced he would lead us to glory single handed. He didn't.

...and of course when they make the film of his life story, then there's only one player who can portray him accurately; JERMAINE JENAS!

Mind you, was it just me, or did Dozzell remind anyone else of David Howells 'blacked-up'??

2065.jpg
2066.jpg

:shades: ...hello... anyone? :unsure: nope... last chance...? :harryfacepalm: ah, just me then!

Dozzell does look angry, maybe he reliased that Howells trying to invade his brand space.

Actually, on reflection, if David Howells and Chris Armstrong had a kid... THEN we're talking Dozzells!! (they were all in the same mid-table, not-much-better-than average side in the mid-90's remember!)

Back
Top Bottom