Signing you were most excited about but was actually shit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All this Tottenham brilliance recently has got me to thinking of just how dark the days were for most of the 90's and 00's. But even then I remember getting properly excited about signings. Maybe even more than now because the weight of expectation was enormous. Hope and desperation were hard to separate. Could this player be the start of a new era of better fortunes?

The player I was most excited about joined us in 1998. He'd played at Inter, and for me the idea of us signing a former Inter full back felt like a massive step in the right direction. A defender who can defend. Steel. Attack from the back etc etc. I can't remember how many games he played, but it was fuck all before we shipped him out. Take a bow, Paolo Tramezzani.

Re: Signing you were most excited about but was actually shi

Got to be Rebrov for me as well. Record signing at the time when I was really getting into football and THFC in particular.

What.a.let.down.

spooky said:

Boom! Nail. Head. Spot on.

Going back a few years, John Chiedozie (sp) was brilliant before he came to the Lane, don't recall him doing a bloody thing once he got here.

Reptile_16 said:
spooky said:

Boom! Nail. Head. Spot on.

Going back a few years, John Chiedozie (sp) was brilliant before he came to the Lane, don't recall him doing a bloody thing once he got here.

Scored a cracker in a 4-1 home win against Chelsea, though not as good as the howitzers scored by Graham Roberts + Paul Miller in the same game. To be fair to Chedders I thought he did ok till he got a bad back injury that he never really recovered from

dwallm said:
Scored a cracker in a 4-1 home win against Chelsea, though not as good as the howitzers scored by Graham Roberts + Paul Miller in the same game. To be fair to Chedders I thought he did ok till he got a bad back injury that he never really recovered from

Furry muff. :harrysmile:

David Bentley.

I thought he was exactly what we wanted when we signed him.

Dos Santos isn't far off either.

There have been worse signings than both of those two, but those two really had me excited when we signed them.

Gio.

Bentley is a sort of, he helped a lot for a season or so and just disappeared after that.

I was well buzz about Zamora coming from all the times me and my sisters ex used to bang on about him, he was doing wonders at Brighton. Bobby Z what happened!

Rebrov. His name is synonymous with the topic for me. In a way Bent was a Rebrov, but I wasn't at all expecting him to do well. Same goes for Postiga.

Bentley - Thought coming into a better team he would provide something different for us, quality delivery etc but fuck me.

Dr Oyvind said:

Leonhardsen?

Only joking. Rebrov all day. Anyone else remember the double page spread about his life story so far in the Standard? I was almost wanking to it on the tube.

Rebrov and postiga for me also sir Les didn't set the world alight when he joined.

Back
Top Bottom