Should there be a singing stand?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our away support is absolutely fantastic, easily one of the best in the country and no one can deny this. However our home support is fast deteriorating and there's no getting away from that fact which I'm sure the members of this forum agree on.

Should there then be a stand dedicated to singing, where unlike the rest of the stadium those not singing are frowned upon? i wouldn't be surprised if this section then grew and started spreading which ultimately is what the 1882 movement is about. It's all very well singing and giving our youth lads a massive boost in the middle of nowhere on a cold winters evening (which by the way I think is fricking amazing and just sums up how awesome you guys are). However if we could bring it into league games I really think it could be the boost our team needs.

Other than this though what can be implemented? Also how can we convince the club to go through with something like this?

Personally I think the cloud hanging over the club, is why the home support has deteriorated. If we started winning and played attractive football, it would return to how it was. But everything is somewhat subdued.
In the answer to your question about a singing stand, then yes there should be and I hope they realise this when the new stadium finally arrives.

Our away support is absolutely fantastic, easily one of the best in the country and no one can deny this. However our home support is fast deteriorating and there's no getting away from that fact which I'm sure the members of this forum agree on.

Should there then be a stand dedicated to singing, where unlike the rest of the stadium those not singing are frowned upon? i wouldn't be surprised if this section then grew and started spreading which ultimately is what the 1882 movement is about. It's all very well singing and giving our youth lads a massive boost in the middle of nowhere on a cold winters evening (which by the way I think is fricking amazing and just sums up how awesome you guys are). However if we could bring it into league games I really think it could be the boost our team needs.

Other than this though what can be implemented? Also how can we convince the club to go through with isomething like this?
is there profit in it will it attract corperate funding i fear not pal were on our own

They normally end up as happy clapper zones or ultra weirdo agenda zones. Nice idea for about 5 minutes. But no. There's something patronising in it that puts people off.

I'm in my early 40's and I've been going to the lane since the late 70's. Most people that are season ticket holders are more or less around my age. This is because younger people can't afford a season ticket and the older supporters won't give up theirs, so the younger crowd can't get one.

Of the older cunts, very few like to go to a match and sing until their throats are hoarse but they love a moan! I love a sing song but reserve my moaning to the forums where I can express myself without resorting to what may be misconstrued as not supporting my team.

I often watch European games and I'm surprised at how loud, constant and uplifting the supporters of clubs from Greece, Switzerland and other Eastern European sides are in comparison to our home support nowadays. When I used to go to European games in the 80's, it was English fans that led the way in supporting and cheering our teams, we were true fans (fanatics).

Nowadays most people at the lane are old decrepit chazzers, I welcome the younger generation who want to sing and support the team even if I don't know all the words to the songs, I love singing along as much as I can. I would like everyone to sing but you youngsters need to understand most old cunts have a sense of entitlement to pay their money and moan till their hearts content. Until the new stadium is built and more space is made at home games then we're left with moany old chazzers I'm afraid!

We have 'singing stands' over here in OZ...we call them active supporter areas and there usually behind the goals..
Unwritten rules...everyone sings no one sits, seat numbers are irrelevant first in best dressed..
Downsides are it funnels all the ultras into one area which is generally over policed and as a result have to walk through metal detectors/ body searches to get in the stadium..
Best part is no stewards, active support have group leaders who liase with the club and they police themselves..

I'm in my early 40's and I've been going to the lane since the late 70's. Most people that are season ticket holders are more or less around my age. This is because younger people can't afford a season ticket and the older supporters won't give up theirs, so the younger crowd can't get one.

Of the older cunts, very few like to go to a match and sing until their throats are hoarse but they love a moan! I love a sing song but reserve my moaning to the forums where I can express myself without resorting to what may be misconstrued as not supporting my team.

I often watch European games and I'm surprised at how loud, constant and uplifting the supporters of clubs from Greece, Switzerland and other Eastern European sides are in comparison to our home support nowadays. When I used to go to European games in the 80's, it was English fans that led the way in supporting and cheering our teams, we were true fans (fanatics).

Nowadays most people at the lane are old decrepit chazzers, I welcome the younger generation who want to sing and support the team even if I don't know all the words to the songs, I love singing along as much as I can. I would like everyone to sing but you youngsters need to understand most old cunts have a sense of entitlement to pay their money and moan till their hearts content. Until the new stadium is built and more space is made at home games then we're left with moany old chazzers I'm afraid!
Scarface I generally agree with your point...
Except clearly that don't teach math at your high school..
U raise some half valid points but can't take you srsly because ur just such a tosser...

Scarface I generally agree with your point...
Except clearly that don't teach math at your high school..
U raise some half valid points but can't take you srsly because ur just such a tosser...

Well if I didn't learn Maths at school, clearly you have yet to grasp the English language because almost every post I've bothered reading of yours has multiple spelling errors but I don't hate on you so why are you hating on me??

Well if I didn't learn Maths at school, clearly you have yet to grasp the English language because almost every post I've bothered reading of yours has multiple spelling errors but I don't hate on you so why are you hating on me??

That actually made me laugh, clip was actually fucking hilarious.. Blame my IPad for the spelling errors...
Still if your in your early 40's I'll eat my left arm...

the ever-so-slightly annoying thing is, there HAS been a 'singing' stand all along... the Park Lane Lower and Shelfside have ALWAYS been the focal point for the noise...
...but something's changed there too... if PARK LANE/SHELF aren't singing, then no one else in the ground has the courage/common sense to start up songs of their own! ...jesus, once upon a time even the Paxton & OLD West Stand made themselves heard! But that's a LONNNNNG time ago!

Am I missing something, the park lane/shelf side are supposed to be these areas. For the most part people stand for the whole game and sing a reasonable amount. What is this obsession with having a designated area for the future when it already exists :avbwtf:. What needs to be changed is attitude( look how bad citeh fans have become), pricing, younger fans and safe standing in these areas. This odd idea of a singing section should not be talked about; it just is not what is best for our club.

That isfucking hilarious.

Why was I thinking of Carlito when I watched that?

There is a natural gravitational pull to certain sections of the ground... I have always been drawn to the Park Lane Lower/Shelfside, for PRECISELY the reasons mentioned... ie; the atmosphere! when you start to see people around you NOT there for that reason, it has an affect on those who ARE...

now whether we 'officially' designate it an all-singing-all-dancing area or not, the truth is, those tickets are usually on general sale, and as such, anyone can turn up, whether they wanna sing or moan...
I doubt they'd officially designate a moaners section (Paxton upper would be a start) so they're also unlikely to name a singing stand especially...

what they could do however, is put a ticketing notice on certain areas (like they do when there is a restricted view in the East Stand) to say that in all likelihood, these areas will be full of happier chaps who are going to be singing their lungs out for 90 minutes, and only positive vibes allowed... if they wish to proceed with their purchase, with this in mind, and participate, then the more the merrier.... if however they'd prefer to sit with their arms folded, moaning non-stop, or worse still, tweeting selfies with the pitch behind them, then please do us all a favour, and kindly re-direct yourself to the West Stand, ta!

the ever-so-slightly annoying thing is, there HAS been a 'singing' stand all along... the Park Lane Lower and Shelfside have ALWAYS been the focal point for the noise...
...but something's changed there too... if PARK LANE/SHELF aren't singing, then no one else in the ground has the courage/common sense to start up songs of their own! ...jesus, once upon a time even the Paxton & OLD West Stand made themselves heard! But that's a LONNNNNG time ago!

Park Lane and Shelf haven't always been the place to be, especially not the Park Lane.

In my youth I'm sure it was the Paxton, great crowd surges when Gazza/Lineker etc scored! Then in the mid-90s there were all those odd years where the Paxton and Park Lane were being redeveloped. I remember playing Fulham in the FA Cup (late 90s?!) - they had the whole Paxton Lower as the away end!! Soon after that it got relaunched as a 'Family' stand. Now that's been dropped but the 'damage' was done.

Personally I think the Paxton should be OUR end again. Like self-pity have the kop, United have Stretford etc. I'd love to see that.

Agree @ Biff ...I remember many happy-a-surge in the Paxton Lower... (a Samways & Walsh quickfire double against the Arse springs out as a particular high! ...I'm sure there was a firework launched from somewhere that night, r was I thinking of the away game at Highbury?? anyway, I digress...)

The Shelf was where many of the Paxton naturally gravitated towards - me being one of them (and i'm sure @ Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor will tell you all about when the West Stand used to rock, pre re-build!)
The Park Lane was always the away end when I were a lad, and I certainly remember the likes of Millwall filling it in the late '80s... but let's face it, when there was all standing, you could fit pretty much the entire Park Lane blocks 32-34 in or around the shelf, and as time has gone (and seating arrived) everyone seems to have just spread out... THAT'S also part of the problem!

Back
Top Bottom