Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not happening.

For lots of reasons, principally overall cost and indirectly linked would be a body that is fragile.

And ask yourself what would his motivation be?

No doubting his quality but this ship has sailed.

The thread that never dies.

giphy.gif

Bale was a one off. Yet Levy thinks this is a new business model. That's why they look at Grelish rather than a proper player. Winks, not good enough. Skipp not good enough. Everyone we are linked with is some "wonderkid". We need decent players NOW.

Even if Bale was available on a free transfer and £350k per week wages - hugely optimistic - we could for the same money get a younger £50m player on £100k per week for four years. That's not even considering that they'd have resale value and Bale wouldn't. The only reason we're even talking about this is nostalgia and there's no way that'll influence the club's decision: if Bale hadn't played for us we'd all be aghast at the idea of this transfer.

Levy would have him on a pay as you play contract, with his injury history he'll be on equiv. £30k a week. Cant see Bale agreeing an incentives contract.

That said, the shirt sales would bring in a huge wedge..

The question is also a bit, what does Bale want from his career?

Does he want to go in somewhere, play football and drag a team like Spurs over the finishing line, or is he looking for a paycheque?

If it's the former and we can get him in on a good deal, I think there could still be some value in bringing him in. If we can manage his injuries and get him to pass on some of his experience to the younger lads, it could work. Sort of the way that Davids is seen as a catalyst for Barca's success, despite him only being there for half a season. It might just spark something with a player like Kane or Winks, which could take them to the next level.

If he wants a big fat paycheque, then pass.

I can't pretend I wouldn't be thrilled to see him back in a Spurs shirt.

A lot of practical, good sense on this thread which I can't really disagree with, but he is genuinely world class and would still terrify defences. Imagine him tearing it up at the new stadium.

That said, he'll go to UTD.

Back
Top Bottom