Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's about tge same age as Jan, give or take?
So age shouldn't be a problem JUST yet... if they're GOOD Enough!

...and since when has having injuries put us off...?
:dembele::dier::kanehand::roseunsure::tobyarm:

i'm torn.

I like our youth policy and trying to get prospects, that's good from a business and sanctification POV and it could pay dividends in the future.

but

This season and when it was between us and Leicester, Bale could have been the difference, that player to push us that little bit more, to take control or responsibility, to change the game. I think we could have won the league with him in the team.

but

This season and when it was between us and Leicester, Bale could have been the difference, that player to push us that little bit more, to take control or responsibility, to change the game. I think we could have won the league with him in the team.
I agree, the Bale of 2-3 years ago (when it was between us and Leicester) could've made the difference...
this season's Bale, i'm not so sure...
if we got him back now, it would be more for the 'feelgood' factor, which i'm all for... and in the occasional game where he could make a difference, I'm sure he would... but there's no way (like dembele) he'd have a full season in him... let alone one where he could influence the outcome of every game he played!

I'd have rather they spent the money working on medical technology where they could fuse both Dembele and Bale together with Son, to create some kinda super dynamo creative midfielder that was never injured!!
now that would be awesome! :dembelelol::baletroll::sonlol:

I agree, the Bale of 2-3 years ago (when it was between us and Leicester) could've made the difference...
this season's Bale, i'm not so sure...
if we got him back now, it would be more for the 'feelgood' factor, which i'm all for... and in the occasional game where he could make a difference, I'm sure he would... but there's no way (like dembele) he'd have a full season in him... let alone one where he could influence the outcome of every game he played!

I'd have rather they spent the money working on medical technology where they could fuse both Dembele and Bale together with Son, to create some kinda super dynamo creative midfielder that was never injured!!
now that would be awesome! :dembelelol::baletroll::sonlol:

TBF, apart from seeing him in the CL final last year i've not watched him much. I just think we've been really close at times but lack that piece of individual brilliance to get us over the line.

I went to the bernabau last season during a trip to Madrid, my Spanish isn’t great but the majority of their fans seem to absolutely despise him

Whilst fans harassing him on his way out of the club facilities is bang out of order, he hasn’t helped himself. He’s been there what - 5.5 years - & He’s done very little to integrate himself in terms of language and culture, his Spanish teammates derisively call him “El golfista” plus he’s frequently injured. All whist being on exorbitant wages.

If you don’t make an effort to adapt to the culture of where you are fans will tend to give you less leeway in your bad moments.

Look at Roberto Soldado when he was here, he was doing all the right things off the pitch and that caused a large section of the Spurs fanbase to overlook his largely turd performances for ages.

A signing like him would attract other players surely? Including getting some of the players we already have to stay ... looking at Toby here.

I was thinking along the same lines. It's a lot a moving parts, assumptions, and very rough numbers, so I don't mean this quite literally, but let me have a when pigs fly moment here.

Say he's a 80m signing on 250k a week, whether through him taking wage cut or Real taking a hit. With a further assumption being that the rest of the squad will understand, we're bringing a serial winner, who'll - hopefully - help the other players get to the trophies, they crave. And thus not move the goal post for other contracts too much.

Call it 120m over 3 years.

Assume Poch ideally - as it would seem to always be with him in the market - like a winger/wide attacking player, which I feel is fair given the limited time afforded to Lucas and Lamela this season, plus no minutes to youth in those positions, contrary to elsewhere on the pitch, means we likely do not have anyone from within pushing in the immidiate future.

That's a 30m+ outlay, if we want someone who can influence the team immidiately. More if we want someone with homegrown status like Bale. Say 100k a week.

Call that 45m over 3 years.

Assume the statement in signing Bale means Toby has a rethink and signs on. That's a 25m outgoing becoming a 50m+ asset. Eriksen sees Bale walking in, Toby staying, and he signs as well. That's a, maybe forced due to contract 50m outgoing becoming a 100m+ asset.

120m - 45m - (50m - 25m) - (100m - 50m) = zero :levyeyes:

Have a look, Daniel, free signing right here :levywhoa:

Now, I'll get my coat and get back to seeing this when I close my eyes

flyingpig-cover.png

Bale ain't Ronaldo, both in terms of quality and commitment.

He is also nowhere as likely to stay fit.

On a pay as play premium on top of whatever yearly salary at a reduced rate it would be a 3 year punt maybe worth taking if it were an option.

Bale's asset and selling point is there are still only a few who are better than he.

Er... it might have something to do with winning the CL (over and over again?). Modric has 4 CL winners' medal.

OK the supporters don't tolerate underperformance for long. But most top players in the world would gnaw their own arm off to play for them.
There are a very small chosen few like Modric and Ramos who are respected for their input but they, like Chelsea sell their own players out and ruin more careers than they boost. The only reason Bale is still there is they haven't been able to shift him.

Much rather be a a barca player who also wins things but could have the same manager for more than 6 months and not get eggs and bottles thrown at my 200k car leaving the stadium after every poor performance.
Absolutely soul less shitstain of a club supported and bailed out by the king for more than a century.

Whilst fans harassing him on his way out of the club facilities is bang out of order, he hasn’t helped himself. He’s been there what - 5.5 years - & He’s done very little to integrate himself in terms of language and culture, his Spanish teammates derisively call him “El golfista” plus he’s frequently injured. All whist being on exorbitant wages.

If you don’t make an effort to adapt to the culture of where you are fans will tend to give you less leeway in your bad moments.

Look at Roberto Soldado when he was here, he was doing all the right things off the pitch and that caused a large section of the Spurs fanbase to overlook his largely turd performances for ages.
I don't like seeing him hit with the 'hes not fluent in spanish' stick tbh with, theres players like Aguero for example-in England longer than Bales been in spain and can't say their name and address in english yet they aren't beaten with that stick.
Up to him what he wants to do with his spare time and his family-why would you want to hang out with the likes of Ramos and fucking marcelo anyway?

I don't like seeing him hit with the 'hes not fluent in spanish' stick tbh with, theres players like Aguero for example-in England longer than Bales been in spain and can't say their name and address in english yet they aren't beaten with that stick.
Up to him what he wants to do with his spare time and his family-why would you want to hang out with the likes of Ramos and fucking marcelo anyway?
Aguero is more protected in that regard by City than Bale is by Real. Aguero is almost never expected to give interviews or be in the limelight. Whereas Real throw Bale to the wolves on the regular.

This is a likely factor in the lack of "outrage" over Aguero's English skills.

As we have a special relationship with real Madrid and they want rid of Bale but he does not want to go or take a pay cut we could do them a favour and take him on loan and pay only part of his wages.
Well stranger things have happened or have they?

There are a very small chosen few like Modric and Ramos who are respected for their input but they, like Chelsea sell their own players out and ruin more careers than they boost. The only reason Bale is still there is they haven't been able to shift him.

Much rather be a a barca player who also wins things but could have the same manager for more than 6 months and not get eggs and bottles thrown at my 200k car leaving the stadium after every poor performance.
Absolutely soul less shitstain of a club supported and bailed out by the king for more than a century.

We may not like it (clearly you don't) but most players would want to join Barca or RM to further their career and improve by playing with other top class pros, be coached by an elite coach, CL every season with a real chance of winning it, and in Bale's case 1/2 million a week after tax.

No idea where Barca came from but I was responding to your original quote "I really cannot understand any top player joining that shithouse, flat track bully club"

I can. For the reasons above.

We may not like it (clearly you don't) but most players would want to join Barca or RM to further their career and improve by playing with other top class pros, be coached by an elite coach, CL every season with a real chance of winning it, and in Bale's case 1/2 million a week after tax.

No idea where Barca came from but I was responding to your original quote "I really cannot understand any top player joining that shithouse, flat track bully club"

I can. For the reasons above.
Good for you, I wouldn't and was I using barca as a better example of a successful world renowned club where you don't need to sell your soul and put up with the shite you would at Madrid.
Real are Chelsea on steroids-win something, sack the manager, don't win anything-sack the manager, ups and downs, big turnaround in personnel constant upheaval, I think they are a fucking joke-medals or not I think Bale will look back at his time there and be bitter regardless.

Good for you, I wouldn't and was I using barca as a better example of a successful world renowned club where you don't need to sell your soul and put up with the shite you would at Madrid.
Real are Chelsea on steroids-win something, sack the manager, don't win anything-sack the manager, ups and downs, big turnaround in personnel constant upheaval, I think they are a fucking joke-medals or not I think Bale will look back at his time there and be bitter regardless.

Ok, we disgaree. They're certainly not joke medals!

I think Bale will sit with his grandchildren in about 40 years time and say to "didn't really do much as an international, got to the semis of the Euros once". However did get these three Champions League medals, was coached by Zidane while I played for Real Madrid, also got a couple of league titles, Cups etc.

Most players would kill to tell these stories.

Bitter? I don't think so.

Addition: Real Madrid: the club of di Stefano, arguably the greatest footballer ever. Won the old European Cup five times on the bounce. ANY player will want to be associated with them.

Last edited:
As we have a special relationship with real Madrid and they want rid of Bale but he does not want to go or take a pay cut we could do them a favour and take him on loan and pay only part of his wages.
Well stranger things have happened or have they?
We don't have a special relationship with Madrid, there was some agreement to work together on marketing stuff and some vague mention of youth players being exchanged on loan but it never came to anything.

The agreement was never once mentioned here. It was basically Levy trying to spin the deal, making it look like he wrangled something more out of Florentino Pérez than he really had. Judging by the amount of times it gets mentioned his cunning plan worked

Ok, we disgaree. They're certainly not joke medals!

I think Bale will sit with his grandchildren in about 40 years time and say to "didn't really do much as an international, got to the semis of the Euros once". However did get these three Champions League medals, was coached by Zidane while I played for Real Madrid, also got a couple of league titles, Cups etc.

Most players would kill to tell these stories.

Bitter? I don't think so.

Addition: Real Madrid: the club of di Stefano, arguably the greatest footballer ever. Won the old European Cup five times on the bounce. ANY player will want to be associated with them.
Agree to disagree mate but they are a far cry from the Puskas and Di Stefano days now and they are guilty of starting the decline of the modern game with ridiculous financial bullying-The chelseas psg and citys of this world have followed in their footsteps and they're turbocunts to a man imho.
He may well talk about his medals and that volley in the final last year and yes hes made ludicrous coin out of it but right now I would say the man is incredibly unhappy at that club, it hasn't gone how he planned ie taking over the mantle from Ronaldo and its not going to happen. I would say he would jump at the chance to play for a Bayern or United or anyone like that for the final years of his career to feel some love for the game again.
You only have to go through their history of fucking players and managers out on their ear after not doing a lot wrong.

Back
Top Bottom