You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts - Sign up here

Should Bale Return To Spurs?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pleb, 20 Nov 2017.

?

Should Bale Return To Spurs?

1. Yes

104 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

125 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. Unsure

40 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. For better or worse

I wasn't saying he's the best left back the world has ever seen but the early part of his career was playing left back, he would have had coaching that focused on position, player tracking and tackling.

There are plenty of midfielders who are shocking at tracking back and tackling, whilst not the best I would put money on him not being the worst by a long way.

• Agree x 1
  2. ArcspacE

BINNED AGAIN

I don't disagree although good teams can drag out many 1:0 wins and simply close out the game - we seem to be lacking this lately.

• Agree x 2
  3. CroSpurs

4. Stopspot

Now I'm a big fat dynamo!

I do think that the injury situation is the main culprit in this.

Our midfield in particular have been hit by injuries and illness all season. So we have never really been able to field our full strongest midfield all season. which have left our defenders more exposed than usual.

I am as big a fan of the Sissoko redemption as anyone but if our team was fully fit he would be either a bit player in the midfield depending on the formation, or one of the first names on the bench/to come off the bench in a game (super sub). But fair fucks to him he has stepped up when we have needed someone and done tremendously and arguably saved his career at the club.

But if there is one post we need to strengthen on in the summer it is central/defensive midfield. We need a shield in front of the defenders so that Winks and and Sissoko can focus on delivering the ball upfield and patrolling their respective flanks. Someone who can basically do what Wanyama did 2 seasons ago.

A wounded midfield means we sadly allow more goals to be scored against us than usual.

But this is most likely a discussion for another thread to be fair. Sticking to old Gareth from here on :baletroll:

5. Park Lane Mark Twain

You make a very good point, At Barcelona he will struggle for starts in a team like that and at Real Madrid his occasional purple patches/ dips in form will see them get the daggers out for him. Question is will it really bother Christian if he does have his heart set on a move?

Either way it'll be a fascinating summer for so many reasons. Chelsea smash & grab to stockpile if the law gives them their ban respite, Real Madrid going doolally, Man City want to sign 3 players according to Pep, Liverpool & what's available to them after blowing their load last summer, Man U's first signings under Solskjaer if he gets the gig, how we react after a year and a half of no signings etc there's a shit load of potential activity that I expect to go down

• Like x 1
  6. asterdroid

one year loan with a split in the wage cost o_O

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. mikes01666

Er... it might have something to do with winning the CL (over and over again?). Modric has 4 CL winners' medal.

OK the supporters don't tolerate underperformance for long. But most top players in the world would gnaw their own arm off to play for them.

8. Cranston

I think they may well end up loaning him and having to stump up some of his fees.

How the fuck did they end up paying this lad 600k a week. What a bunch of fucking cretins Real are.

• Agree x 3
  9. TeamSpirit™

Nope. We’ve got far bigger issues and our resources would be wasted splurging it on what is essentially a nostalgia purchase.

RB, CM and LB all bigger issues.

• Agree x 4
  10. Murphy

And potentially CB

11. 1882

He's about tge same age as Jan, give or take?
    So age shouldn't be a problem JUST yet... if they're GOOD Enough!

...and since when has having injuries put us off...?
    :dembele::dier::kanehand::roseunsure::tobyarm:

• Funny x 1
  12. For better or worse

i'm torn.

I like our youth policy and trying to get prospects, that's good from a business and sanctification POV and it could pay dividends in the future.

but

This season and when it was between us and Leicester, Bale could have been the difference, that player to push us that little bit more, to take control or responsibility, to change the game. I think we could have won the league with him in the team.

• Agree x 2
  13. 1882

I agree, the Bale of 2-3 years ago (when it was between us and Leicester) could've made the difference...
    this season's Bale, i'm not so sure...
    if we got him back now, it would be more for the 'feelgood' factor, which i'm all for... and in the occasional game where he could make a difference, I'm sure he would... but there's no way (like dembele) he'd have a full season in him... let alone one where he could influence the outcome of every game he played!

I'd have rather they spent the money working on medical technology where they could fuse both Dembele and Bale together with Son, to create some kinda super dynamo creative midfielder that was never injured!!
    now that would be awesome! :dembelelol::baletroll::sonlol:

• Funny x 1
  14. For better or worse

TBF, apart from seeing him in the CL final last year i've not watched him much. I just think we've been really close at times but lack that piece of individual brilliance to get us over the line.

15. Larry David

I went to the bernabau last season during a trip to Madrid, my Spanish isn’t great but the majority of their fans seem to absolutely despise him

16. TeamSpirit™

Whilst fans harassing him on his way out of the club facilities is bang out of order, he hasn’t helped himself. He’s been there what - 5.5 years - & He’s done very little to integrate himself in terms of language and culture, his Spanish teammates derisively call him “El golfista” plus he’s frequently injured. All whist being on exorbitant wages.

If you don’t make an effort to adapt to the culture of where you are fans will tend to give you less leeway in your bad moments.

Look at Roberto Soldado when he was here, he was doing all the right things off the pitch and that caused a large section of the Spurs fanbase to overlook his largely turd performances for ages.

• Agree x 1
  17. LuckyMe

I was thinking along the same lines. It's a lot a moving parts, assumptions, and very rough numbers, so I don't mean this quite literally, but let me have a when pigs fly moment here.

Say he's a 80m signing on 250k a week, whether through him taking wage cut or Real taking a hit. With a further assumption being that the rest of the squad will understand, we're bringing a serial winner, who'll - hopefully - help the other players get to the trophies, they crave. And thus not move the goal post for other contracts too much.

Call it 120m over 3 years.

Assume Poch ideally - as it would seem to always be with him in the market - like a winger/wide attacking player, which I feel is fair given the limited time afforded to Lucas and Lamela this season, plus no minutes to youth in those positions, contrary to elsewhere on the pitch, means we likely do not have anyone from within pushing in the immidiate future.

That's a 30m+ outlay, if we want someone who can influence the team immidiately. More if we want someone with homegrown status like Bale. Say 100k a week.

Call that 45m over 3 years.

Assume the statement in signing Bale means Toby has a rethink and signs on. That's a 25m outgoing becoming a 50m+ asset. Eriksen sees Bale walking in, Toby staying, and he signs as well. That's a, maybe forced due to contract 50m outgoing becoming a 100m+ asset.

120m - 45m - (50m - 25m) - (100m - 50m) = zero :levyeyes:

Have a look, Daniel, free signing right here :levywhoa:

Now, I'll get my coat and get back to seeing this when I close my eyes

[​IMG]

18. Notabadsquad

Bale ain't Ronaldo, both in terms of quality and commitment.

He is also nowhere as likely to stay fit.

On a pay as play premium on top of whatever yearly salary at a reduced rate it would be a 3 year punt maybe worth taking if it were an option.

Bale's asset and selling point is there are still only a few who are better than he.

19. Hulk

There are a very small chosen few like Modric and Ramos who are respected for their input but they, like Chelsea sell their own players out and ruin more careers than they boost. The only reason Bale is still there is they haven't been able to shift him.

Much rather be a a barca player who also wins things but could have the same manager for more than 6 months and not get eggs and bottles thrown at my 200k car leaving the stadium after every poor performance.
    Absolutely soul less shitstain of a club supported and bailed out by the king for more than a century.

20. Hulk

I don't like seeing him hit with the 'hes not fluent in spanish' stick tbh with, theres players like Aguero for example-in England longer than Bales been in spain and can't say their name and address in english yet they aren't beaten with that stick.
    Up to him what he wants to do with his spare time and his family-why would you want to hang out with the likes of Ramos and fucking marcelo anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted
If you see people ruining threads with off-topic discussion, arguing or personal abuse, use the 'Foul' link at the bottom of their post to vote for them to be sent off. More info