set pieces...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sean said:
da1seggy said:
Burko said:
Jenas scored one against Man U years ago that was pretty sweet, obviously in an unfortunate loss.
Good shout, I recall now. I think I've wiped out all our results against Man Utd cos they only seem to go one way
Wasn't that in a 1:1 draw at old Trafford?
Not sure, we obviously didn't win. :(

I remember it vividly, because he did a little ballerina shuffle type thing before he struck it.

Seriously though the Kaboul thing just doesnt work does it? I mean like not even close, i'd wager he has had about 20 of those free kicks this season and i'd be more scared being a linesman in those situations rather than the opposing goalkeeper :kaboul:

i still remember watching some France match, when the commentator said "another useless short corner by France, we should do like they do in england, they never use short corners"

obviously they had never seen Tottenham

Those stats are skewed by us scoring two from corners in one game against Bolton. I remember the first one from Modric never got above knee height, but for some reason Bolton didn't have a man near the front post to clear it, so Bale tucked it in. Against any other team this wouldn't have cleared the front man. We've actually got quite a few players with height in the side, so it's definitely the service, because we rarely even get a close header, let alone a goal from a corner or free kick.

Raitei said:
Pretty sure Bentley scored from a FK against Wigan in the 9-1

He also got one against Fulham in a 2-0 win on a very cold January evening. It took a deflection though.

I remember it well as I decided it would be a good idea to leave my coat in the car and spent the whole 90 minutes hopping up and down trying to keep warm.

Someone in the crowd kept shouting 'Schwarzer, you look like a tea-pot' when he had his arm on his hip. One of those 'you had to be there' moments...

I remember when our corners were the pride of the premier league.

Anderton pinging the ball over Hoddlesque style and Teddy smashing them in. Now the only person worrying is the ball boy having to get off his seat to collect the ball as it trickles into touch towards the near side net.

Be nice if the players, under our current management could take time out from running around a bit to maybe practice it a bit?

Modric seems to struggle with getting enough power on the ball from any dead ball situation.

I think we should go back to letting Bale take corners, he used to ping it in like a dart without much arc on the flight of the ball. Kaboul has the power and athleticism to outclimb most and get on the end of these.

I know Bale is an asset in the box but if we can't fucking get it in the box consistently, what's the point?

For me, Disco on the freekicks... trouble is, if VDV is on the pitch it seems he almost pulls rank and demands to take it.

these are our top 5 goal scorers this season

defoe - 11
ade - 9
bale - 8
vdv - 7
lennon - 3
modric - 3

none from set pieces!!!!!
so at least if we sign vertonghen this should improve,
he has scored 5 this season so far, and i cant see them being from
anything other than set pieces.

Kaboul got on the end of 3 corners yesterday, one was a free header that he should have done better with.

As for free kicks, I never want to see kaboul stand over them again! Every single one either goes wide or hits the wall or the charger.

Vertonghen likes to take a few free kicks and tends to run forward a fair bit. From corners he wouldn't make a difference because the ball would never be in a danger area anyway =[

Raitei said:
Vertonghen likes to take a few free kicks and tends to run forward a fair bit. From corners he wouldn't make a difference because the ball would never be in a danger area anyway =[
seems like a win/win to me... bale takes corners, vertonghen takes free kicks.

Back
Top Bottom