set pieces...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i know the rumours that we dont practice set pieces at all but surely its something
we need to be practicing? we had how many corners and free kicks that amounted to nothing.
we should be getting at least 1 or 2 goals from those. in my opinion having watched loads
of guys have a go at taking them our best player is by far kranjcar.
jump on youtube and check for yourself.
problem is when he is on he seems to bring the team down somewhat, i dont know if its just a pace
thing or the fact that he hardly gets any game time but he always seems out of place to me
when he is on the field. BAE's free kick was brilliant, sure it didnt amount to a goal but it was
way better than anything else vdv or modric would have done. i say let BAE and kaboul
take the free kicks. we know BAE stays late at training to practice long distance kicks so if he
is the only one practicing them let him fucking take them!!!! common sense!!!
kaboul (like huddlestone) could probably kick a ball through a brick wall, so between him
and BAE we actually do have guys who should be taking free kicks.
obviously it creates a problem because if things go wrong they have to get back to defend
but shit if they could guarantee us even 4 more goals a season it would be worth it.

corners :harryfacepalm: i got no idea... no solution to that dilemma...

Statistically we must be one of the worst teams in the league where set pieces are concerned.

We should take corners like a quick free kick, sod putting everyone in the box and just play it as though anywhere else on the field.

Yeah, especially with Lennon involved in a short corner. I was really hoping Modric would play a short corner with him at one point yesterday but alas - cleared by the first man, again.

Benny should be taking more set pieces, was closest we have been to scoring a fk for ages. Also anyone but Modric taking them.

We've been terrible at set pieces forever, rumour has it that the latin translation of Audere est Facere is in fact not To Dare is to Do, but "Oh Dear, a Free Kick"

Hasn't Opta Joe got any stats on this? I think the last set peice we scored was Bale from a corner against Wigan away. (Oct?)

Its why Man utd got the upper hand yesterday, because when your playing below your level set peices can change the course of the game.

Modric yesterday, 3 set pieces atleast. One Kaboul got on the end of it, one hit Welbeck first man which I called before it happened and one he over hit and it went off for a throw in. For a professional footballer its getting embarrassing.

Here are some stats from whoscored.com. It doesn't break set piece goals down by free kick or corners but it shows we are in the bottom half of the league. Just think how many points we could have if we were in the upper third of the prem.

Team, Set Piece Goals
Manchester City 16
Manchester United 14
Norwich 14
Blackburn 14
Stoke 12
West Bromwich 11
Liverpool 10
Sunderland 9
Wolverhampton 9
Bolton 9
Chelsea 8
Swansea 7
Everton 7
Tottenham 6
Newcastle 6
QPR 6
Wigan 6
Woolwich 5
Fulham 5
Aston Villa 2

I hope to heck I'm wrong, but if my memory is up to scratch, I make it that the last direct free we scored in the league was Bale in the 3-1 loss at home to scum back in 2007. Now I'm hoping I've missed one out, but I genuinely can't recall another since.

It does annoy me that when we get free kicks around the box, all we seem to have is an obvious short one to Kaboul for him to lace one (usually wide)

It was hard being in the crowd and cheering yesterday when we got a free-kick or corner. Because you just knew that we wouldn't do diddly-squat with it.

It's a shame because Kaboul can seriously get his head on a good cross.

Modric always tries to float the ball in from a corner and that's when he gets it past the first man. We need to start whipping the ball into the box with a bit of pace.

Burko said:
Jenas scored one against Man U years ago that was pretty sweet, obviously in an unfortunate loss.
Good shout, I recall now. I think I've wiped out all our results against Man Utd cos they only seem to go one way

It's a shame because Kaboul can seriously get his head on a good cross.

Modric always tries to float the ball in from a corner and that's when he gets it past the first man. We need to start whipping the ball into the box with a bit of pace.

couldnt agree more

da1seggy said:
Burko said:
Jenas scored one against Man U years ago that was pretty sweet, obviously in an unfortunate loss.
Good shout, I recall now. I think I've wiped out all our results against Man Utd cos they only seem to go one way
Wasn't that in a 1:1 draw at old Trafford?

Back
Top Bottom