Sergei Rebrov

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was mustard with Shevchenko at Dynamo. I remember people were generally very excited by his signing, we paid decent money for him back then as well. Shame it never worked out.
I was one of them....
But unfortunately, it was like a Theatre booking 'Cannon' without 'Ball' or 'Wise' without 'Morecambe' for their Summer show....it's just not the same!

Rebrov & Shevchenko were a *double act...

The only time we really got it right was Ardiles & Villa!

* just to prove the point that it doesn't ALWAYS work out, you only have to look at our misguided 'double act' signings of Etherington & Davies, then Dawson & Reid ...only Dawson really worked out there!!

I saw him play at Wembley for Ukraine and he was man of the match
Like any good player, if you play to his strengths he'll do well for you, not rocket science

His first season with us I thought he was pretty decent. Probably better than Schevchenko at the Filth. Hoddle took against him, destroyed his value so by the time we sold him it was for buttons.

Ex-Ukraine and Tottenham star vows to 'take a gun' to fight Russia in the streets of Kyiv​

A FORMER Tottenham star has vowed to help Ukraine after the country was invaded by Russia.​

By TOM PARSONS
17:46, Wed, Mar 9, 2022 | UPDATED: 17:46, Wed, Mar 9, 2022

Tottenham hero Sergei Rebrov has vowed to return to Ukraine to fight for his homeland as they defend themselves against the Russian attack – and the former striker has pledged that he will “take a gun.” Rebrov spent four seasons with Spurs at the turn of the century before moving to West Ham.

Ukraine came under attack last month as Russian president Vladimir Putin took the deadly decision to shatter peace in Europe and launch an assault by air, sea and land.

Cities including Kyiv, Kharkiv and Mariupol have since been besieged by Russian troops as civilians fight for their lives.

Over two million Ukrainians have now fled the country, with the humanitarian crisis growing by the day as supplies of food, water, heat and medicine grow scarce.

Rebrov is currently in the United Arab Emirates after taking up the role of manager at Al-Ain last summer.

But the 47-year-old admits he will be returning home soon to fight.

Tottenham hero Sergei Rebrov has vowed to return to Ukraine to fight for his homeland (Image: GETTY)
“I have a job here but as soon as my season is over, I will be back home with my people,” Rebrov told the Irish Independent.
“As soon as I can, I will go - I will fight. Everyone is going into the streets - we are united as a people.
“The world is asking how Ukrainians can protect their people. It’s because people will go in the streets and fight - everyone is united, we know what we have to do.
“Of course, we are not even thinking about football now, we are thinking about protecting our country.

“I am very proud of the people, the soldiers who are trying to save our country. We are on the right side, but we have to fight for our freedom.
“Of course I will take a gun in my hand. We will survive. We will win.
“I see no compromise as there is no compromise with Putin - he only wants to go to Kyiv and show he has occupied our country.
“He has no interest in compromise - we will fight for our people and stay to the end.
Sergei Rebrov spent a year with West Ham (Image: GETTY)
“We are now fighting for our country. We want to decide our fate - not have other people run our country or tell us what to do in the future.”
Rebrov won 75 caps for Ukraine during a 14-year international career and represented his country at the 2006 World Cup.
The former striker scored in the group stages against Saudi Arabia during that tournament as Ukraine went on to reach the quarter-finals.

“I have a job here but as soon as my season is over, I will be back home with my people,” Rebrov told the Irish Independent.

“As soon as I can, I will go - I will fight. Everyone is going into the streets - we are united as a people.

“The world is asking how Ukrainians can protect their people. It’s because people will go in the streets and fight - everyone is united, we know what we have to do.

“Of course, we are not even thinking about football now, we are thinking about protecting our country.

Back
Top Bottom