Sergei Rebrov

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a player that everyone remembers as a total waste of space but, having recently re-watched the 2000/01 season review, I don't think he was that bad. He scored 12 goals in 36 appearences (some of which were quite spectacular), created goals as well and I think he would have built on that if he had been given another season of regular first team football but, for some reason, Glenn Hoddle preferred a 35 year old Teddy Sheringham and Rebrov never got a look in from that point.

If we compare him to Dennis Bergkamp, who got 16 goals in 41 appearances in his first season, Rebrov's first season isn't too far off that and, if we had kept on playing him, he could have improved and given us many years service just like Bergkamp did for Woolwich.

Yes, I know Rebrov didn't fare so well at the clubs he joined after us but some players find it very difficult to get their self-belief back once they lose it; some are able to bounce back once they're dropped, others aren't. Just off the top of my head, Illie Dumitrescu, Nigel Clough, Justin Fashanu all had promising careers until they had the misfortune to move to the wrong club or fall out of favour under the wrong manager and they were never able to wipe the Ls off their foreheads and get back to where they were before.

What do you guys think? Could Rebrov have been our Dennis Bergkamp if he had been given more time in the team? Did we shoot ourselves in the foot by casting him aside for Hoddle's OAPs?

This is a player that everyone remembers as a total waste of space but, having recently re-watched the 2000/01 season review, I don't think he was that bad. He scored 12 goals in 36 appearences (some of which were quite spectacular), created goals as well and I think he would have built on that if he had been given another season of regular first team football but, for some reason, Glenn Hoddle preferred a 35 year old Teddy Sheringham and Rebrov never got a look in from that point.

If we compare him to Dennis Bergkamp, who got 16 goals in 41 appearances in his first season, Rebrov's first season isn't too far off that and, if we had kept on playing him, he could have improved and given us many years service just like Bergkamp did for Woolwich.

Yes, I know Rebrov didn't fare so well at the clubs he joined after us but some players find it very difficult to get their self-belief back once they lose it; some are able to bounce back once they're dropped, others aren't. Just off the top of my head, Illie Dumitrescu, Nigel Clough, Justin Fashanu all had promising careers until they had the misfortune to move to the wrong club or fall out of favour under the wrong manager and they were never able to wipe the Ls off their foreheads and get back to where they were before.

What do you guys think? Could Rebrov have been our Dennis Bergkamp if he had been given more time in the team? Did we shoot ourselves in the foot by casting him aside for Hoddle's OAPs?

Spurs made a basic mistake in buying Rebrov - they didn't check his record.

At Dynamo Kiev he was part of a striking duo with Andrei Shevchenko who terrorised the CL with string running and the duo scored goals.

However the Ukrainan league was (and probably still is) weak. And that mean that aside from the CL matches in the season before we bought him (and the season before that), Rebrov only played about FOUR Ukrainean league matches. Which of course meant that he only needed to focus on CL for which he was absolutely match fit to play in - whilst the opposition were generally just recovering from playing a tough match the weekend before, and that's the reason that Rebrov in particular (but also Shevchenko) looked great in CL but didn't translate their form as well in the clubs they went to.

There is no doubt that Rebrov had lots of talent, but he was of slight build and had never needed to work as hard as or play as many games as he was being asked to do at Spurs - and hence couldn't produce the form we bought him for.

So maybe if he had been given a 6 month training course (and it would need to be that much to transition him into a top athlete) before coming to Spurs he could have become a top player. But I'm really not convinced !

Yeah, Shevchenko really struggled at Milan...
(Last column is his goal tally)

Screenshot-20191022-230937-org-wikipedia.jpg

:sonhmm:

Last edited:

I saw him a few times and thought he was a tidy player in a not very good side
Over priced but not his fault for that

always felt we played him in the wrong position, he always seemed to me to be out wide,
thought he should have been played up front between lines of penalty box

was part of a terrible squad with a manager (Graham)known for defensive stability rather than attacking flair.
I'm surprised Hoddle didn't or couldn't utilise him more.

Didn't help that he was 5 ft 6 and George Graham signed a wimbledon goalkeeper alongside him to punt long balls to him all day long.

For what it's worth I seem to recall that a lot of his goals came in big match situations. As opposed to someone like Darren Bent who's goals always seemed to be consolations or the last goal in a 4-0 win.

I thought Hoddle would have been able to get more out of him but it wasn't to be.

He didn't do it for me, although he looked good in his debut, and was unlucky to hit the bar with a brilliant shot, that's all I remember about him, TBH

Fuck him, he was shit and a complete tosser

When asked, by a Russian journalist, how Pavlyuchenko should adapt to British life, the former Ukraine forward Rebrov said: 'A lot of dark skinned people lived near White Hart Lane so the crime rate was high.'

He also claimed that if Pavlyuchenko didn't want to be a 'robbery victim' he should avoid walking around the area close to the Spurs ground.

Spurs made a basic mistake in buying Rebrov - they didn't check his record.

At Dynamo Kiev he was part of a striking duo with Andrei Shevchenko who terrorised the CL with string running and the duo scored goals.

However the Ukrainan league was (and probably still is) weak. And that mean that aside from the CL matches in the season before we bought him (and the season before that), Rebrov only played about FOUR Ukrainean league matches. Which of course meant that he only needed to focus on CL for which he was absolutely match fit to play in - whilst the opposition were generally just recovering from playing a tough match the weekend before, and that's the reason that Rebrov in particular (but also Shevchenko) looked great in CL but didn't translate their form as well in the clubs they went to.

There is no doubt that Rebrov had lots of talent, but he was of slight build and had never needed to work as hard as or play as many games as he was being asked to do at Spurs - and hence couldn't produce the form we bought him for.

Where have you got that stat from?
He played around 30 league matches a season, every season at Dynamo.
He wouldn't have had to play so many matches at Spurs as we were dogshit and never in Europe around that time

Where have you got that stat from?
He played around 30 league matches a season, every season at Dynamo.
He wouldn't have had to play so many matches at Spurs as we were dogshit and never in Europe around that time

Can't rember the exact site as I looked him up a couple of years ago but seemed a legitimate source of stats - and also seemed to explain why he seemed to tired to play even one game a week at Spurs so I accepted the info

Fuck him, he was shit and a complete tosser

When asked, by a Russian journalist, how Pavlyuchenko should adapt to British life, the former Ukraine forward Rebrov said: 'A lot of dark skinned people lived near White Hart Lane so the crime rate was high.'

He also claimed that if Pavlyuchenko didn't want to be a 'robbery victim' he should avoid walking around the area close to the Spurs ground.

I remember that article from back in the day and a Martin Samuel comment that when he played for us someone got "mugged" but it certainly wasn't Rebrov.

Back
Top Bottom