Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

giphy.gif
What’s funny?
You are bemoaning our style of play, but you think Aurier and Dele are playing well and we don’t need a striker because the answer is “under Jose’s nose” in terms of using Dele to replace Kane.

:goonermong:

Agree but if no one is making an angle or run, it is better to lose possession 70 yards from goal than 30 yards. Especially so late in the game.
Just kicking it up field gives the ball straight back to them, being sat so deep it just takes a few seconds for the ball to come back. So unless we've got pressure on the ball if we lump it up field it's just coming back. Sure there are always cases that support a hoof, for instance, Eriksen against City in the 2nd leg 1/4 springs to mind but this was the last action of the game, and maybe had it gone for a throw there wouldn't have been even time to take it???

The only way to ensure the other team doesn't score is to have the ball for as long a spell as is possible, yes that would also be as high up the pitch that is possible. This is why Sissoko is important in closing out games, he can carry the ball a long way, it's basically the only thing we can do if there is no outlet/up the pitch. I think that's what Aurier was trying to do or wanted to do, also think he was trying to draw a foul. (this too would have wound the clock down, break up their momentum and give us the ball, where if we were doing it right we would have no doubt taken our time over, pushed a few yards higher up the pitch and passed back to Lloris).

However, that said where that does matter and where it does cause teams a major issue in that exact same position is if we had committed players up the pitch, that's to assume that Aurier was attacking and in that scenario, players pushed up to support the attack and then he lost possession, this scenario, from that position, would be bad place to lose possession.

What’s funny?
You are bemoaning our style of play, but you think Aurier and Dele are playing well and we don’t need a striker because the answer is “under Jose’s nose” in terms of using Dele to replace Kane.

:goonermong:
Dele, Gedson and Winks in a midfield 3. Then GLC, Winks and Dele in a midfield 3 after Gedson's substitution. Guido loves Dele and Winks. Dele's relentless aggressive pressing. Winks' outstanding progressive passes stats. Guido complains about our style of football. 41% possession against Southampton. Southampton.

Just kicking it up field gives the ball straight back to them, being sat so deep it just takes a few seconds for the ball to come back. So unless we've got pressure on the ball if we lump it up field it's just coming back. Sure there are always cases that support a hoof, for instance, Eriksen against City in the 2nd leg 1/4 springs to mind but this was the last action of the game, and maybe had it gone for a throw there wouldn't have been even time to take it???

The only way to ensure the other team doesn't score is to have the ball for as long a spell as is possible, yes that would also be as high up the pitch that is possible. This is why Sissoko is important in closing out games, he can carry the ball a long way, it's basically the only thing we can do if there is no outlet/up the pitch. I think that's what Aurier was trying to do or wanted to do, also think he was trying to draw a foul. (this too would have wound the clock down, break up their momentum and give us the ball, where if we were doing it right we would have no doubt taken our time over, pushed a few yards higher up the pitch and passed back to Lloris).

However, that said where that does matter and where it does cause teams a major issue in that exact same position is if we had committed players up the pitch, that's to assume that Aurier was attacking and in that scenario, players pushed up to support the attack and then he lost possession, this scenario, from that position, would be bad place to lose possession.

Again all true, I don't blame Serge for the goal, there was still a lot to do before they scored. I was talking in general terms about maybe better game management when needed.

In that image there is a case of
A) It being a foul for a pull on Serge
or
B) A simple pass to Dele

Again all true, I don't blame Serge for the goal, there was still a lot to do before they scored. I was talking in general terms about maybe better game management when needed.

In that image there is a case of
A) It being a foul for a pull on Serge
or
B) A simple pass to Dele
Freeze frame bollocks mate. View it in normal speed, or even slow it down frame by frame and no player has the ball under full control. Aurier trying to get himself between ball and man but it being held back (not a foul though) but means he can't get a pass off, not one where he can guarantee an accurate one at least.

But we are 3 vs 1 when he loses possession.

Freeze frame bollocks mate. View it in normal speed, or even slow it down frame by frame and no player has the ball under full control. Aurier trying to get himself between ball and man but it being held back (not a foul though) but means he can't get a pass off, not one where he can guarantee an accurate one at least.
Yep, when he lost possession there were 2 on him, you can see the second lad running towards him in the still.

Your video link didn't work for me, not that it matters as I said before I don't blame him.

I was surprised that it didn't even go to VAR to see of there was a foul. On the other hand they didn't VAR the Sanchez (or was it Tangaga) handball.

Yep, when he lost possession there were 2 on him, you can see the second lad running towards him in the still.

Your video link didn't work for me, not that it matters as I said before I don't blame him.

I was surprised that it didn't even go to VAR to see of there was a foul. On the other hand they didn't VAR the Sanchez (or was it Tangaga) handball.
Agree.

At the point of losing the ball, it's 3vs 1 in our favour.

I don't think it was a foul though and they won the ball fair and square.

The thing is mate, and I've detailed it within this thread, it is a false narrative has built up around this player. Exactly the same happened to Sissoko.

I'm not asking for you list examples from every game but to be fair you haven't listed one from any game.

His defensive deficiencies are not a "false narrative", mate. Jesus Christ.

You can just go watch the vaaast majority of games last season and most this season, when still under poch, and you'll see him not be arsed to even track back.

Just go dip in to one and you'll see.

That, apart from his reckless sliding tackles and bad/rash judgement.

You're acting like the guy has been running down wingers and making killer tackles/ interceptions all day long. Nah.

He's had good games, but overall, since he's been here, his defensive instincts have been woeful.

Seemingly being sharpened under Mou, so I'm happy.

Re. Sissy, I love the guy and he's been a net plus for us.

Hopefully SA can continue to impress and do the same if he stays.

Last edited:
Watch the vaaast majority of games last season and most this season under poch and you'll see him not be arsed to track back

His defensive deficiencies are not a "false narrative", mate. Jesus Christ.

You can just go watch the vaaast majority of games last season and most this season, when still under poch, and you'll see him not be arsed to even track back.

Just go dip in to one and you'll see.

That, apart from his reckless sliding tackles and bad/rash judgement.

You're acting like the guy has been running down wingers and making killer tackles/ interceptions all day long. Nah.

He's had good games, but overall, since he's been here, his defensive instincts has been woeful.

Seemingly being sharpened under Mou, so I'm happy.

Re. Sissy, I love the guy and he's been a net plus for us.

Hopefully SA can continue to impress and do the same if he stays.
.........and I have watched every minute of every game, so what?

You don't have to, no one is forcing you, it's not an obligation. It's just everyone that's said what you have said has yet to identify a single example of him actually doing said crime. I tongue in cheek asked if you were going to be the first person to give examples and you haven't. That's all. It's no biggie, it's just a common theme that his detractors can't actually give specific examples of him being shit. You have at least stayed in the conversation, whilst others simply left the room unable to answer.

He's made errors (all players do) I've pointed to them I've no issue discussing them, he's not the greatest RB out there, I've consistently stated this.

But I've also consistently said he's our best RB and have said this for a long time. That doesn't elevate him into Cafu as those who only seem to deal in binary form say. If someone is better than Tripps that doesn't make them World Class, it just means they are better. But I have been able to detail why specifically I think he's better, rather than just saying "I watch football". I gave this explanation many, many months ago and everything that we are seeing today I referenced. I was able to detail why I thought Tripps was shit too.

I believe it's only fair on the player that when we are calling them shit that we detail why. Those that disagree they can then hopefully also state why and visa-versa.

Back
Top Bottom