Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So here we are again Serge.

Are you actually good or shite because we still don't really know after more than 2 years tbh?
He was arguably our best player tonight, not that means so much in an overall team performance as poor as this.

He was easily our most influential player along with Sanchez on the right. I mean just look at the state of that midfield!! NOTHING!.
EK-Rv5ZXYAIpAR-

Only Rashford had more shots than him.
Only Rashford and Son had more dribbles
No one won more areial duels on th epitch
No one made more tackles on the pitch, double the number of the next man Verts.

He was arguably our best player tonight, not that means so much in an overall team performance as poor as this.

He was easily our most influential player along with Sanchez on the right. I mean just look at the state of that midfield!! NOTHING!.
EK-Rv5ZXYAIpAR-

Midfield: Certainly felt like that tonight... And for much of Bournemouth too.

Its Aurier who is at fault. Jose uses Asymmetric back four tactic where Aurier is the wingback in action. Vertonghen stays at the back defending. Since the attacking support from the left flank is limited coming from Vertonghen, Son has to work his arse off to work almost like a left box to box midfielder. This should come very fruitful for whoever that is on the right flank. But it hasn't. Aurier had so many chances to make key passes, dribbles, and crosses. Most wasted.

In Jose system we need to have a decent classic right full back that can pass well and cross well.

Its Aurier who is at fault. Jose uses Asymmetric back four tactic where Aurier is the wingback in action. Vertonghen stays at the back defending. Since the attacking support from the left flank is limited coming from Vertonghen, Son has to work his arse off to work almost like a left box to box midfielder. This should come very fruitful for whoever that is on the right flank. But it hasn't. Aurier had so many chances to make key passes, dribbles, and crosses. Most wasted.

In Jose system we need to have a decent classic right full back that can pass well and cross well.
Err then I think you will find that it’s José is at “fault” if you want to point fingers.

Ridiculous apportioning blame for that performance on Aurier when he had to work with Lucas who gave the ball away with his every touch, who was a total ghost.

Aurier's crossing last night was poor with most tamely going to the GK. However it was good for the previous matches and we should persist with him Saturday but rest him in Munich. I wonder if Son should be switched to his side and play Sess a much more defensive solution on the left. I would leave Moura out this time but play him in Munich instead of Son who needs a rest.

Time for Foyth to get a start under Jose.
Time for a system that actually works.

Surely by now, everyone knows that Winks and Sissoko doesn't work.

In this game, Aurier is asked to push up (just like in the previous three games under Mourinho). The specific issue in this game was Utd had this covered, they had two players fill the space vacated by Aurier. This also meant that Sissoko was therefore forced out wide to deal with this, it meant it left Winks in midfield completely isolated. WE HAD NO CONTROL BECAUSE WE HAD NO MIDFIELD.

In addition, there was Lucas who is simply useless without the ball (last night he was useless on it too). He simply gave away the ball almost every time he was on it, it meant we were unable to build any through him. It's not on Aurier. But as per usual fans opt for the tried and tested scapegoats.

If you want to scapegoat go for the Manager, if you want to target a player take aim at Lucas, or Toby for constantly being out of shape, for Vertonghen for not engaging or closing down the oppo.

Just let this sink in Fred ran the midfield, FRED!

For those who dont know what the problem was, Aurier wasted just far too many crosses

Bullshit. Our main problems were Lucas and Winks. Lucas kept giving the ball away and Winks was doing an amazing job as Dr. DoALittlePoo. Jose' was also at fault for keeping these 2 on for far too long.

Son and Kane also had poor games in attack along with most of our players, but Winks was the worst of the worst.

EK-Rv5ZXYAIpAR-

I don't mean to make Aurier scapegoat for all that was wrong yesterday. Absolutely not.

But saying him being "arguably best player" is a stretch to other side. Both of ManU goals came from his flank. In the situation of 2nd goal, Rashford just took him out of the situation like he woulnd't have been on the field, leaving Sissoko to do the tracking back and defending.

"Only Rashford had more shots" is extremely moot point - what did Aurier shots produce?? I mean would have Son been "influential" if he would have made 20 shots from 20 meters, all going at least 2 meters wide (or barely roll through to de Gea)??
Most aerial duels and most tackles - okay, this is well done, I agree.

So I think he was somewhere in the middle. Not the best player on the pich, not the worst (nor the sole reason we lost).

Midfield was our main issue yesterday, I don't think there could be two ways to assess this.
Also both Son and Moura were really inefficient. Baffles me how Son survived full 90...

I don't mean to make Aurier scapegoat for all that was wrong yesterday. Absolutely not.

But saying him being "arguably best player" is a stretch to other side. Both of ManU goals came from his flank. In the situation of 2nd goal, Rashford just took him out of the situation like he woulnd't have been on the field, leaving Sissoko to do the tracking back and defending.

"Only Rashford had more shots" is extremely moot point - what did Aurier shots produce?? I mean would have Son been "influential" if he would have made 20 shots from 20 meters, all going at least 2 meters wide (or barely roll through to de Gea)??
Most aerial duels and most tackles - okay, this is well done, I agree.

So I think he was somewhere in the middle. Not the best player on the pich, not the worst (nor the sole reason we lost).

Midfield was our main issue yesterday, I don't think there could be two ways to assess this.
Also both Son and Moura were really inefficient. Baffles me how Son survived full 90...
So if you read again what I wrote I was hardly endorsing the player, merely jumping to his defence.

Name me a player from the starting 11 that played better than him then and state specifically why.

It was a dreadful performance by the entire team, where the Manager should shoulder the responsibility for a) selecting the team and formation b) for not changing or even tweaking it c) for not having the players up for it. So I think it's wrong to go down the route of signalling out individual performances, I just think to signal our Aurier is a joke (even if it wasn't effective) given his involvement compared to complete and utter no shows form many others.

Dele's goal, despite being a moment of individual genius, was off the back of an Aurier shot that de Gea couldn't deal with properly as he used his feet to block it and it went directly back to Dele! So saying his shots didn't amount to anything is simply plain wrong.

It was specifically Sissoko's job to cove Aurier, Aurier is deployed by Mourinho to play ahead of him in a more advanced position. Sissoko is supposed to cover him from a deeper position. Now I'm not getting all over finger pointy at Sissoko either, as it means Sissoko has to be everywhere, it's Jose's selection that was simply woeful last night and he did fuck all to change it.

It's hard to blame José or Sissoko for the absolute dreadful crosses Aurier delivered yesterday.

If were gonna make ourselves reliant upon Serge being our sole creative conduit in attack that's our own stupid fault. He's a RB of questionable quality; not David fucking Beckham!

That is the problem with stats isn't it? He was meant to be marking Rashford!
No he wasn't, he was meant to be pushed on as an advanced wingback in a lopsided 3-2-3-2 as per his other three games where we go largely three at the back with him playing almost level with Lucas with Jan playing 3rd LCB but Lucas was so shite it didn't quite pan out that way.

Most of its ineffectiveness was actually down to Utd overloading the space behind, that pulled Sissoko out, sucked Toby in. They pressed us really well, in key areas of the pitch often committing three players into their press.

He had 2 shots out of 2 on target, his tackling was decent last night, but he was so wasteful on the ball in good positions. His crossing was shocking last night.

Also got competely done before the penalty, which the wee stats app doesnt seem to show.

Weird how Guido will back Serge to the hilt and still have pops at the ex-scapegoat, who actually can cross a football well.

He had 2 shots out of 2 on target, his tackling was decent last night, but he was so wasteful on the ball in good positions. His crossing was shocking last night.

Also got competely done before the penalty, which the wee stats app doesnt seem to show.

Weird how Guido will back Serge to the hilt and still have pops at the ex-scapegoat, who actually can cross a football well.

Once in a while.

Edit: I'd be eager to see assists per 90 stats comparing SA & KT.

Back
Top Bottom