Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing against rotating FBs as long as the better FB plays in all big games unless he's injured or suspended. Trippier had no business playing against Sane and Sterling FFS, we were all very concerned about this days before the game.
There is an obvious argument with that regard (that is because he is just a poor player, doesn't matter the quality of the opposition) but there is also the argument that teams that leave space behind their FB's (City, Dortmund, Madrid, Liverpool etc.) means there is an opportunity for Tripps to get behind, he can't get past on his own (against anyone!!) as he doesn't possess the skill set, but we have been able to get him behind a higher played back-line by playing him in a ball for him to run onto, we have done this to reasonably good effect (exploited it to the full against Marcello at Wembley). The alternative is to play Tripps against a narrow low block (typically a lesser side, deemed easier to beat) and I'd say the problem is even worse, the inability to not commit the oppo defence leads to a game of no penetration, all because he can't go 1v1. Aurier can, Auier brings more to that game.

As an aside I don't know why we aren't player KWP instead of Tripps, I think he's better and is less of a compromise to our style that Tripps is, but that's a different debate.

There is an obvious argument with that regard (that is because he is just a poor player, doesn't matter the quality of the opposition) but there is also the argument that teams that leave space behind their FB's (City, Dortmund, Madrid, Liverpool etc.) means there is an opportunity for Tripps to get behind, he can't get past on his own (against anyone!!) as he doesn't possess the skill set, but we have been able to get him behind a higher played back-line by playing him in a ball for him to run onto, we have done this to reasonably good effect (exploited it to the full against Marcello at Wembley). The alternative is to play Tripps against a narrow low block (typically a lesser side, deemed easier to beat) and I'd say the problem is even worse, the inability to not commit the oppo defence leads to a game of no penetration, all because he can't go 1v1. Aurier can, Auier brings more to that game.

As an aside I don't know why we aren't player KWP instead of Tripps, I think he's better and is less of a compromise to our style that Tripps is, but that's a different debate.
You've decided from 1 game that KWP is better than Tripps? Dear God.

You've decided from 1 game that KWP is better than Tripps? Dear God.
Dear God!

Yep, that would be absolute fucking nonsense to judge a player on one appearance, good job I've watched KWP for years, seen many, many games of his. Just because you have only see him play once doesn't means others haven't. Get back in your cage.

I've also watched every single minute of our dearest Trips has played for us, I was pretty much the first one on here to claim just what a pony of a player he is and low and behold it's taken two years for most Spurs fans to catch up to this fact. Too busy wanking over his assist stats he accumulated at Hull and Watford.

I think he is better because he plays the way Rose and Walker have been able to play, as his quick (at his age he may be not as athletic enough i.e. keep up the sprints and intensity for a full 90 in the PL, just don't know this yet??). He's far more skilful than Tripps and KWP can take on his opposite number (in his only game he has managed to successfully take on his man twice, which is twice more than Tripps has been able to achieve in 19 appearances this season and his 24 previous appearances for us that's 43 games for us and he is yet to take on a single person successfully!!!). We have a style of play, an identity that is much talked about and admired, a massive part of that identity is the role of our fullbacks, all of our FB's fit this identity, quick, aggressive, athletic, stretching the oppo by staying wide and/or taking on and getting behind/thru the oppo defence, every single one of our FB's fits this description with the exception of Frodo, that is why I'm saying KWP is better than him.

Get back in your cage.

Last edited:
I think it's a little far fetched to think KWP is better than Trippier because you've seen him play kids football more than most people.

I like KWP and saw him at the youth World Cup play on the wrong side of defence and still look good but the fact that Pochettino hasn't trusted him enough to start more games or bring him on in games is an indication to where he's at.

Its just like the praise Edwards is getting despite playing barley half hour of men's football in his career. Yet apparently he's better than Sissoko. (not aimed at you)

I hope KWP gets his loan next month. He deserves the game time, hopefully a premier league loan to somewhere like Brighton. Ready to come back in the summer and fight Aurier for his place in the team.

Dear God!

Yep, that would be absolute fucking nonsense to judge a player on one appearance, good job I've watched KWP for years, seen many, many games of his. Just because you have only see him play once doesn't means others haven't. Get back in your cage.

I've also watched every single minute of our dearest Trips has played for us, I was pretty much the first one on here to claim just what a pony of a player he is and low and behold it's taken two years for most Spurs fans to catch up to this fact. Too busy wanking over his assist stats he accumulated at Hull and Watford.

I think he is better because he plays the way Rose and Walker have been able to play, as his quick (at his age he may be not as athletic enough i.e. keep up the sprints and intensity for a full 90 in the PL, just don't know this yet??). He's far more skilful than Tripps and KWP can take on his opposite number (in his only game he has managed to successfully take on his man twice, which is twice more than Tripps has been able to achieve in 19 appearances this season and his 24 previous appearances for us that's 43 games for us and he is yet to take on a single person successfully!!!). We have a style of play, an identity that is much talked about and admired, a massive part of that identity is the role of our fullbacks, all of our FB's fit this identity, quick, aggressive, athletic, stretching the oppo by staying wide and/or taking on and getting behind/thru the oppo defence, every single one of our FB's fits this description with the exception of Frodo, that is why I'm saying KWP is better than him.

Get back in your cage.
You're talking about youth games and friendlies? And you've determined he is better than a full back that has put in consistent performances in the premier league for years based on that? I think you're the one that needs to get back in a cage you utter pleb.

You're talking about youth games and friendlies? And you've determined he is better than a full back that has put in consistent performances in the premier league for years based on that? I think you're the one that needs to get back in a cage you utter pleb.
Trips hasn't put in consistent performances though, he's played well in no more than 3 may be 4 games at most for us, the rest he has been fairly shit, many games we have had to make an entire formation change just to cover his deficiencies and stop the oppo targeting him, the oppo do this, target him, because he's SHIT, our weakest link, our worst player. Oh, unless by "consistantly" you mean constantly shit.

A player can still be judged on his ability to play football no matter what game they are playing, if you think otherwise then there is absolutely no point in making any comment whatsoever, because by saying that you remove the debate from talking about any player unless they have played games for first team football and played in PL, clearly you expect them to play more than one game in this scenario, so how many arbitrary games does someone have to play before they can even be discussed/mentioned/talked about, 5, 10, 20? Half our fucking squad is made up of players that were playing youth football or came from another league before playing for Tottenham Hotspur, but in your world we can't judge these players on their ability because you say so. Let's just remember this when you next pipe up talking about anyone from our academy, anyone from another teams academy or any new player we are looking to buy who's not played in the PL before, don't think you will be posting much if this is the case, I suppose every cloud has a silver lining.

Trips hasn't put in consistent performances though, he's played well in no more than 3 may be 4 games at most for us, the rest he has been fairly shit, many games we have had to make an entire formation change just to cover his deficiencies and stop the oppo targeting him, the oppo do this, target him, because he's SHIT, our weakest link, our worst player. Oh, unless by "consistantly" you mean constantly shit.

A player can still be judged on his ability to play football no matter what game they are playing, if you think otherwise then there is absolutely no point in making any comment whatsoever, because by saying that you remove the debate from talking about any player unless they have played games for first team football and played in PL, clearly you expect them to play more than one game in this scenario, so how many arbitrary games does someone have to play before they can even be discussed/mentioned/talked about, 5, 10, 20? Half our fucking squad is made up of players that were playing youth football or came from another league before playing for Tottenham Hotspur, but in your world we can't judge these players on their ability because you say so. Let's just remember this when you next pipe up talking about anyone from our academy, anyone from another teams academy or any new player we are looking to buy who's not played in the PL before, don't think you will be posting much if this is the case, I suppose every cloud has a silver lining.
There's a difference between somebody saying "oh look that kid from the academy looks like he has potential" and somebody saying "this kid that's played 1league game is better than a proven premiership player". If you can't see the difference then you're a lost cause(you are anyway but this just turns it up a notch).

I’m not sure if KWP would be better at RB than Trippier as he’s never had the chance to prove it.
He was targeted at Newcastle and coped.
I said in the summer that we should be careful about hyping Trippier. He’d played a handful of games.
I also said he’s a few months younger than Walker.
He’s not going to improve.
Personally I think next season Aurier will either take over from him, as he’d would be more settled, learnt some English and had a pre season and be fitter and leaner.

There's a difference between somebody saying "oh look that kid from the academy looks like he has potential" and somebody saying "this kid that's played 1league game is better than a proven premiership player". If you can't see the difference then you're a lost cause(you are anyway but this just turns it up a notch).
Don't put a sentence in quotation marks that wasn't said by the person because it means that you are making shit up, and we wouldn't want that would we?

I am making the judgement based on what I have seen from watching the two players play football, because that's what they do, play football and that is what I am judging them on. I have detailed as to what have bought me to that conclusion on both players.

You might disagree with what I've seen in KWP, you might disagree with what I've not seen with Tripps, that's fine but please don't apply some made up rules about when and when not to compare two footballers. Just by doing so you render any talk of academy, new players, young players and potential transfer of players never played in PL completely and utterly redundant. As already stated I've watched him for a few years now (probably seen him play more than Tripps).

You can't dismiss out of hand saying it doesn't count because you have only seen him play once before, you can't dismiss this out of hand because he's from the academy, just as you can't dismiss another footballers ability or non-ability if they have played in a different league or if they are a young player from another league.

This entire Forum is made up of discussion on players, what people think of them, players from Spurs academy, to players we have bought, who a good and who are shit. Players from other academies to players from other Clubs and countries. So please don't try and make up rules on when we can and can not to assess players. Please do not make up rules and how we should asses players. If you disagree with the assessment fine, say so and why otherwise you are talking utter bollocks.

Just a couple of banned questions and answers based in your alternative football universe........
Q: What do you think of Winks when he first played? A: Can't talk about that.
Q: What do you think of Onomah? A: Can't possibly make a comment because he's only played 96min of PL
Q: What do you think of Dele when we first bough him? A: Can't talk about that he's only 19 and has never played PL game.
Q: Do you think Onomah could have done no worse than Sissoko? Can't possibly make that comparison because Josh has only played 96mins of PL and Sissokou is an experienced PL player and France international.
Q: Do you think Winks deserved his England call up? Impossible to comment on such things as he has only just broken out into the side, only completed 5 full games.
Q: What do you think of Dier when he joined us? Can't talk about that as he's only 20, never played PL and only ever made 13 first team appearances for Sporting.
Q: Do you think Edwards deserves a start, say in stead of GKN? A: Not allowed to make such stupid assessments because Edwards is from the academy and has never played PL in his life, whilst GKN is a.......Oh hold on he's only played 9 times for Spurs, supposed we can't talk about him too, not enough games to assess the player, even though his other game s played were in France, that too wouldn't count because it's not the PL.

Don't put a sentence in quotation marks that wasn't said by the person because it means that you are making shit up, and we wouldn't want that would we?

I am making the judgement based on what I have seen from watching the two players play football, because that's what they do, play football and that is what I am judging them on. I have detailed as to what have bought me to that conclusion on both players.

You might disagree with what I've seen in KWP, you might disagree with what I've not seen with Tripps, that's fine but please don't apply some made up rules about when and when not to compare two footballers. Just by doing so you render any talk of academy, new players, young players and potential transfer of players never played in PL completely and utterly redundant. As already stated I've watched him for a few years now (probably seen him play more than Tripps).

You can't dismiss out of hand saying it doesn't count because you have only seen him play once before, you can't dismiss this out of hand because he's from the academy, just as you can't dismiss another footballers ability or non-ability if they have played in a different league or if they are a young player from another league.

This entire Forum is made up of discussion on players, what people think of them, players from Spurs academy, to players we have bought, who a good and who are shit. Players from other academies to players from other Clubs and countries. So please don't try and make up rules on when we can and can not to assess players. Please do not make up rules and how we should asses players. If you disagree with the assessment fine, say so and why otherwise you are talking utter bollocks.

Just a couple of banned questions and answers based in your alternative football universe........
Q: What do you think of Winks when he first played? A: Can't talk about that.
Q: What do you think of Onomah? A: Can't possibly make a comment because he's only played 96min of PL
Q: What do you think of Dele when we first bough him? A: Can't talk about that he's only 19 and has never played PL game.
Q: Do you think Onomah could have done no worse than Sissoko? Can't possibly make that comparison because Josh has only played 96mins of PL and Sissokou is an experienced PL player and France international.
Q: Do you think Winks deserved his England call up? Impossible to comment on such things as he has only just broken out into the side, only completed 5 full games.
Q: What do you think of Dier when he joined us? Can't talk about that as he's only 20, never played PL and only ever made 13 first team appearances for Sporting.
Q: Do you think Edwards deserves a start, say in stead of GKN? A: Not allowed to make such stupid assessments because Edwards is from the academy and has never played PL in his life, whilst GKN is a.......Oh hold on he's only played 9 times for Spurs, supposed we can't talk about him too, not enough games to assess the player, even though his other game s played were in France, that too wouldn't count because it's not the PL.
This whole post shows to everyone that you still don't get it.

As I said before, there's a difference between judging a youth players potential based on the little you've seen compared to judging a youth players first senior game and determining he is better than a first team player that has done in for years in the league.

Hell even if you had said that you think KWP is a better option than Trippier based on the skill set you've seen then fine....but to say he is a better player than Trippier based on 1 senior game is idiocy of the highest order.

This whole post shows to everyone that you still don't get it.

As I said before, there's a difference between judging a youth players potential based on the little you've seen compared to judging a youth players first senior game and determining he is better than a first team player that has done in for years in the league.

Hell even if you had said that you think KWP is a better option than Trippier based on the skill set you've seen then fine....but to say he is a better player than Trippier based on 1 senior game is idiocy of the highest order.
I've I've repatedly said, I'm not forming my opinion on ONE fucking game! I've watched him for about 2 or 3yrs, more games than I've seen Tripps maybe. I'm NOT judging KWP's "potential" I'm judging him on his ability as a footballer TODAY, so for the 4th or 5th time feel free to disagree with the opinion, but please fuck off trying to make up rules of how and when to view and assess a player based on their background, age, country or whatever else you deem eligible or not. (There are some players currently younger than KWP that are currently being discussed as best in the world right now, having only played a handful of Snr games, best you let the powers that be know that judgments of this nature can't possibly be made as set out by your rules).

I've I've repatedly said, I'm not forming my opinion on ONE fucking game! I've watched him for about 2 or 3yrs, more games than I've seen Tripps maybe. I'm NOT judging KWP's "potential" I'm judging him on his ability as a footballer TODAY, so for the 4th or 5th time feel free to disagree with the opinion, but please fuck off trying to make up rules of how and when to view and assess a player based on their background, age, country or whatever else you deem eligible or not. (There are some players currently younger than KWP that are currently being discussed as best in the world right now, having only played a handful of Snr games, best you let the powers that be know that judgments of this nature can't possibly be made as set out by your rules).
That's where we differ. I can't judge a players ability as a footballer based on youth games and u21 internationals but you can. I can on the other hand judge the players potential based on the the eye test but not enough to state that he is better than players that have played top tier football for years and played to a good level.
Can he be better than Trippier? maybe.
Is he better suited to our style of play? Maybe.

To make such a definite statement and say he is better than Trippier now imo is moronic.

Every time he plays you can see how good of a footballer he is. Comfortable with both feet, clever runs and clever passes. His forward run, give and go in the second half should have resulted in a great assist for Son if he hadn't skied it.

Still has the occasional defensive lapse, but I'm honestly just going to put that down to the fact he isn't consistently playing in the team. He needs to be given a run now. So much better then Trippier in pretty much every department.

The only issue I have with KWP is his defensive positioning when the ball isn't on his side of the ground. He seems to tuck in way too much and leave the winger on his side with acres of space to run into if there's a crossfield ball played out to him. Otherwise kwp has far more technical ability and pace than trippier, he can certainly beat a man. I'd like to see poch play him on the wing if he can't get game time at FB.

We just seem so much more at it when we have aurier playing. He has the speed, aggression and ability to get out of a press with a clever turn or just a sheer burst of pace that Kieran 'lay it off to eriksen' trippier simply doesn't have in his locker. He also has a decent final ball. Maybe not as great as trippier but certainly better than we usually saw from walker.

If he's not tired he should play every game.
I do like trips, but let's not ever play him against anyone higher than 10th in the table again please

Back
Top Bottom