Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His best performances for us have surpassed the best we have seen of Walker in my opinion. Aurier is of course inconsistent, but physically he is an absolute monster (pace, strength, stamina etc), so no doubt he will become the best right back in the world under Poch. Let Poch work his magic!

Easily his best overall performance in our shirt. Did everything well. Solid at the back. Always took advantage of the space in front of him.

The only knock on him is the timing of his crosses. Have to think that’ll get better as he builds chemistry with the rest of the squad.

Let’s hope this is the first of many.

Tottenham Hotspur right-back Serge Aurier suspects that his team-mate Moussa Sissoko might be tweaking Mauricio Pochettino's instructions when he passes them on for comic effect.

The right-back has settled in quickly since his £24m summer move from PSG and has been alternating on the right with Kieran Trippier. The Ivory Coast international feels his integration has been good but there's still some way to go.

"I'm still finding my feet here, still getting into the rhythm of the team but I really couldn't be happier.

"It's true that it wasn't difficult for me to settle in because I knew some of the players before I arrived, so that helped with my integration and perhaps it was a little quicker than normal," he said in the club's matchday programme.

GettyImages-854204196.jpg

Moussa Sissoko and Serge Aurier are close friends

One player who Aurier is close to is Sissoko, a friendship which was forged years ago.

"Moussa is someone who has helped me a lot since I've been here. I'd already played with him at Toulouse a few years ago, we were very close there and fate brought us together again here, so I was really happy when I arrived and he was here waiting," explained Aurier.

"It's not just Moussa - Hugo Lloris has also helped me to settle in, as well as the other French speakers in the changing room like the Belgian guys. They've all made that process so much quicker."

GettyImages-159364020.jpg

Serge Aurier and Moussa Sissoko during their Toulouse days

Aurier added that while most of his team-mates have been passing on Pochettino's instructions correctly, he joked that Sissoko may have been changing them slightly.

"When I don't understand something, for example, they come and tell me what the coach wants from me if I haven't completely understood," he said.

"With Hugo it's perhaps a bit more about the serious instructions, whereas Moussa tends to joke a lot more and sometimes I get the impression that he's not telling me the exact truth, but I'm still very thankful to him!"

He's definitely got pace.
I assume you mean fast pace

I've seen him done for pace a few times now

Look I'm not wanting to be down on him... I absolutely want him to be a first class full back and be a success for us.

Just without my Spurs tinted shades on I'm circumspect about how quick he genuinely is....personally I couldn't offer a definitely.

Problem is, he tends to go all in when tackling, so if a player rides it (like March did twice yesterday) he's playing catch up.

He isn't Walker when it comes to pace. But he's certainly not slow. Just needs to be coached better defensively.

Thought he was good yesterday. Always available (though for some reason many missed him out), got a goal and put in some great crosses.

Could someone please show him how to take a throw in. Schoolboy stuff.
This, I agree with.
Anyone suggesting he doesn’t have pace is talking out their hole. He is quick. Not Walker quick, but we knew what we were losing when he sniffed the oil money. He’s also unlikely to get too much quicker, unless he enters the Wes Morgan school of rapid progress & regression in equilibrium.
He’s useful. And maybe a better all round footballer than Kyle. He’s a decent signing.

A mistery to me how this guy is behind Trippier in pecking order, he must be feeling very insulted.
I don't think he is behind. There is clear rotation going on, something Poch has always done when two fit FB's are available. He's played in more CL than Tripps. Tripps has only played more games (5 more) those games amassed before Aurier joined the club, his first game I think was against Dortmund at Wembley, since then their has been rotation and he has also served a suspension following his red card in his PL debut against West Ham.

I don't think he is behind. There is clear rotation going on, something Poch has always done when two fit FB's are available. He's played in more CL than Tripps. Tripps has only played more games (5 more) those games amassed before Aurier joined the club, his first game I think was against Dortmund at Wembley, since then their has been rotation and he has also served a suspension following his red card in his PL debut against West Ham.
Nothing against rotating FBs as long as the better FB plays in all big games unless he's injured or suspended. Trippier had no business playing against Sane and Sterling FFS, we were all very concerned about this days before the game.

Nothing against rotating FBs as long as the better FB plays in all big games unless he's injured or suspended. Trippier had no business playing against Sane and Sterling FFS, we were all very concerned about this days before the game.

Yep must agree.

Trippier is a good player but it did seem strange for him to start on Saturday.

I thought there was a strong argument for Aurier's inclusion, not that our full backs were the cause of our defeat.

It is the context behind our concerns that has to shine through though.

Back
Top Bottom