Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The foul throw thing is bullshit. Every game I watch, the touchline gets stomped on in 2 out of 3 throws. Referees ( in all sports) watch for tendancies with certain players. Serge has the rep for this, and they watch for it. They gotta call something, or they would be accused of not earning their pay.

The foul throw thing is bullshit. Every game I watch, the touchline gets stomped on in 2 out of 3 throws. Referees ( in all sports) watch for tendancies with certain players. Serge has the rep for this, and they watch for it. They gotta call something, or they would be accused of not earning their pay.
Sorry, can't agree.

The fact that he does it (and it's not just stepping over the line, it's the ball not coming over his head as well), does not make it less of an infraction.

We can't pick and choose which laws to pay attention to. It's an easy fix to the laws to make a throw legal when one foot is on the line. This will then be abused with people stepping over the line.

The lawmakers can't win! There has to be a line somewhere!

My biggest disappointment with him has been his speed, I thought he was a quick FB, he doesn't appear to have much pace.
Couldn’t agree more

Technically he is a far superior than Tripps

Couldn’t agree less.

Tripps technical ability is outstanding , everything he does when addressing the ball is spot on.

Whereas technically Aurier is an awful footballer

Technique isn’t the be all and end all .... look at Sissoko .... but it is trippiers strong suit

Couldn’t agree more

Couldn’t agree less.

Tripps technical ability is outstanding , everything he does when addressing the ball is spot on.

Whereas technically Aurier is an awful footballer

Technique isn’t the be all and end all .... look at Sissoko .... but it is trippiers strong suit
Tripps has no technical ability whatsoever. It's why when receiving the ball he always passes it straight back where it came from, he never lets it run across his body for instance and then attempt to play the ball past the oppo. It's so poor that an oppo player can read him like a book and know exactly what he's going to do with it. This gets compounded as he, in fact, ends up hiding having been closed down and then hurried into mistake after mistake and then takes up poor positions to receive the ball (which means Toby or whoever has one less option to pass out to), all our defender's playout from the back, with one exception HIM, he on his own makes us so vulnerable to turnover it's comical.

The one thing he has in his locker from a technical standpoint is his ability to hit a first-time cross, I quite like this despite the fact it rarely comes to anything as it's still an incredibly low percentage opportunity he is trying to fashion. I like it because it's played the first time and hit early the oppo are not quite set but nothing changes from the fact its low percentage as hell.

When I talk about the technical ability of a player, I'm referring to how good a player is with the ball at his feet. He's terrible with the ball at his feet, our worst player.

I agree with you that Sissoko has poor technical ability, I'd also venture towards Rose as well but both of these players dominate their oppo 1v1 (Rose more so while Sissoko is learning or becoming comfortable/confident with this). Tripps doesn't/can't - He's shite.

Tripps has no technical ability whatsoever. It's why when receiving the ball he always passes it straight back where it came from, he never lets it run across his body for instance and then attempt to play the ball past the oppo. It's so poor that an oppo player can read him like a book and know exactly what he's going to do with it. This gets compounded as he, in fact, ends up hiding having been closed down and then hurried into mistake after mistake and then takes up poor positions to receive the ball (which means Toby or whoever has one less option to pass out to), all our defender's playout from the back, with one exception HIM, he on his own makes us so vulnerable to turnover it's comical.

The one thing he has in his locker from a technical standpoint is his ability to hit a first-time cross, I quite like this despite the fact it rarely comes to anything as it's still an incredibly low percentage opportunity he is trying to fashion. I like it because it's played the first time and hit early the oppo are not quite set but nothing changes from the fact its low percentage as hell.

When I talk about the technical ability of a player, I'm referring to how good a player is with the ball at his feet. He's terrible with the ball at his feet, our worst player.

I agree with you that Sissoko has poor technical ability, I'd also venture towards Rose as well but both of these players dominate their oppo 1v1 (Rose more so while Sissoko is learning or becoming comfortable/confident with this). Tripps doesn't/can't - He's shite.
That’s not technique for me. That’s what your doing with the ball mentally before during or after receiving it

And this is what sets players apart. Technique is the physical form attributed to HOW you play the ball

Like a good golf swing

When you start combining awareness and vision with sound technique then you start to have the mouldings of excellent footballers

Trippiers failings is not his physical technique which is actually excellent

I’m not disputing that he couldn’t be a bit more adept once he has it (at his feet as you say) but that just goes back to being clever with the ball.

His actual technique is sound

That’s not technique for me. That’s what your doing with the ball mentally before during or after receiving it

And this is what sets players apart. Technique is the physical form attributed to HOW you play the ball

Like a good golf swing

When you start combining awareness and vision with sound technique then you start to have the mouldings of excellent footballers

Trippiers failings is not his physical technique which is actually excellent

I’m not disputing that he couldn’t be a bit more adept once he has it (at his feet as you say) but that just goes back to being clever with the ball.

His actual technique is sound
I get what you are saying and agree to a small element.

I just can't attribute the words "good technique" to a player that can't play the ball when put under pressure, can't dribble, can't lay the ball off/control it with that first touch that creates space/time to by-pass the oppo.

Tottenham defender Serge Aurier wants to quit the club this month with PSG and AC Milan both expressing interest in signing him before the European transfer window shuts.

The Ivory Coast international has made it clear to team-mates that he would welcome a chance for a fresh start.

Tottenham defender Serge Aurier wants to quit the club this month with PSG and AC Milan both expressing interest in signing him before the European transfer window shuts.

The Ivory Coast international has made it clear to team-mates that he would welcome a chance for a fresh start.

It would feel like a fresh start if he started playing here. The parth is cleared for him to become a starter with Tripps gone.

Anyway, he tends to play with his head under his arm, so it wouldn't be the biggest loss. Only problem is depth and quality at RB ATM.

If its him that wants to leave, then so be it.

Says alot about someone if they're not willing to compete against a few kids for a starting role at right back.

Absolutely let him go if he wants to go. There's no point wasting money on someone who's heart isn't in it.
I guess it's quite telling on his character if he doesn't want to fight for his place as he's got the chance now to step up and make a claim on first choice RB.

I retained higher hopes for him than most, but do we try and get our money back and go hard for a replacement in Jan? ....The quandary being dare we risk everything on KWP a) making the grade and b) not getting injured.

Tricky. Not like we know we can rely on Foyth once back fit.

Last edited:
Why is everybody taking a Daily Mail article at face value? Do we have any actual quotes from anybody associated with the club that would indicate Aurier wants to leave?

Why is everybody taking a Daily Mail article at face value? Do we have any actual quotes from anybody associated with the club that would indicate Aurier wants to leave?

...Do we ever?

Just speculating over the speculation. Just the usual....

Back
Top Bottom