Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or the 6 games he played in a month in Nov-Dec where he played better than any other RB has this season before getting injured.

He has shown, when given a run, he improves.

I think hes much better in Europe, but cant say Id be fussed which one of them plays at Anfield or City for example.......could be a revelation or fucking mess for either. I dont see them differently or one as far superior, other than Tripps crossing.

I like both, but lets not kid ourselves Aurier is miles ahead in anything

Auriers crosses for Vertonghen in the first leg and for Lamela last night were really good crosses tbf. I cant remember the last time Trippier played a good ball into the box in open play.

Most games Trippier delivers good crosses, but they are called punts into the box. Serge delivered an excellent cross last night around 85 minutes in. It was his only cross.

He is miles behind Trippier on delivery, no point even trying to deny that really

Trippiers crossing isn't even the best part of his game. He's not even that good at it. Better than your average full back, sure, but your average full back can also defend.

It's his passing down the channels and in between lines that he's great at and in some games THAT is very useful. Think the FA Cup semi final against United to Eriksen to set up Dele, in the league this season against United to Eriksen to set up Lucas, Watford away in the league a few years back to set up Kane etc. - the pass that gets our better players in space to either create or score.

Serge is fairly crap, but a funny guy.....Trippier is a serious northerner, so I guess its a case of let the hate reign.

One cost 3M, one cost 23M......defensively you cant tell them apart, both positionally suspect, both excellent on their day, both horrific off it.
One cant take throw ins, and the other has a masterful cross.

If you rate Aurier, but think Trippier is shit, there is something wrong with you.

Oh fuck off. Every time you post one of your shit opinions, you cant resist a little dig at anyone with a differing view.

How about I spark you out?

Trippiers crossing isn't even the best part of his game. He's not even that good at it. Better than your average full back, sure, but your average full back can also defend.

It's his passing down the channels and in between lines that he's great at and in some games THAT is very useful. Think the FA Cup semi final against United to Eriksen to set up Dele, in the league this season against United to Eriksen to set up Lucas, Watford away in the league a few years back to set up Kane etc. - the pass that gets our better players in space to either create or score.

This is the Trippier you clowns have all forgotten about......shall we judge players abilities by their poorest form shall we?

I've said it before many times but I think our fullbacks, whoever they may be, suffer from the constant rotation that Poch seems to favour. Who knows what Aurier can do until he gets an extended run in the team.

I think people are acting like he didnt play 17 PL games last season....like nearly half the season, plus 6 CL games
Lets not start making shit up. Think Trippiers shit all you like, but Aurier is hardly an unknown quantity.

The fact is, he simply hasnt shown to be a step up from what he have.
If we get a new RB, and Trippier is so poor, shouldnt we notice a difference on his debut?
Let alone after two seasons

Last edited:

I like and agree with the rest of your post, but I really don't understand the exacting standard of defending that Trippier is judged to be failing by some people?

I mean Walker is not a great defender. In his first season at City the first points they threw away was because Walker got rattled and sent off. Inn the CL this year their trouble has all come from him being torn up, and not by Messi, but by kids like Ferland Mendy. And he was dropped recently for another run of games where he'd been poor, culminating in the Palace game which could end up costing them the title.

The stuff he used to do here was comical. Like he'd be jockeying someone and then get distracted by another runner and just leave the player with the ball he was jockeying and run off after the runner. He'd often get tied up by tricky runners like Zaha, Bolasie etc. He was always playing people onside because he's not that bright.

I know you didn't use Walker, and maybe you agree that Walker wasn't a great defender either. I accept Walker's pace and physicality did sometimes help mask his poor football brain, but I look around the PL and I don't see this plethora of defensively outstanding RB's. Recently our top 4 rivals have had people like Moses, Valencia, Young, TAA (great going forward and no doubt will improve defensively). Azpelaceuta's probably the only top level RB defensively in the top half of the table? But he's nowhere near as involved in Chelsea's game play as Trippier is ours.

Trippier's had some really solid defensive games against some of the best players around, Mane, Hazard, Ronaldo etc

I don't really see a clear kind of defensive stupidity in him, he generally reads things well enough, generally tries to do the right things, plays the offside well, he's just not the strongest always and he's not lightning quick.

Lads they are full backs, just like Walker, they can be good, can be shit, its just who they are

No more extremism, supporting one or the other, there isnt much between them - move on

Lads they are full backs, just like Walker, they can be good, can be shit, its just who they are

No more extremism, supporting one or the other, there isnt much between them - move on

Well one's really gotta go this Summer so it's a valid discussion as to who you think that should be. I'm Aurierist personally and world move Trippier on, an opinion I posted a year ago when it was less fashionable.

Sounds like many would be happy to start next season with Aurier and KWP as the RB options all of a sudden
KWP/Trippier (in that order).

Aurier had a good(ish) game last night, but one good game does not a WB make (as Keats would say)

Was that foul throw last night due to him not keeping both feet on the ground or taking too long?

Most games Trippier delivers good crosses, but they are called punts into the box. Serge delivered an excellent cross last night around 85 minutes in. It was his only cross.

He is miles behind Trippier on delivery, no point even trying to deny that really
Hang on, you think that 10 crosses per game that don't find a Spurs shirt is better than 1 cross that does!!?! How does that work?

I’ve said several times I like both, and I wouldn’t have any real joy or panic at seeing either at Anfield.
Pretty much par, Trippier has a better cross.

Don’t know how anyone can feel that view is so wildly wrong, or that Aurier hasn’t had a chance to be better than Trippier.

Trippier is playing poorly generally this season, but the re writing of history that he’s total shit is just bizarre.

I’m out

Since the beginning of last season in all competitions:

Serge Aurier - 3,383 minutes played - 4 goals, 6 assists - A goal or assist every 338 minutes. (Just under 4 games)

Kieran Trippier - 5,287 minutes played - 1 goal, 13 assists. A goal or assist every 377 minutes. (Just over 4 games)

I mean, you can barely separate them in all honesty. I think both could be upgraded.

Kyle Walker-Peters - 880 minutes - 1 goals, 5 assists. A goal or assist every 146 minutes (Every 1 and a half game)

Sorted.

:levylol:

In comparison to some of the 'better rated' right backs in the league:

Kyle Walker - 6,859 minutes played - 2 goals, 8 assists - A goal or assist every 686 minutes (Every 7 and a half games)

Trent Alexander-Arnold - 4,937 minutes played - 4 goals, 9 assists - A goal or assist every 379 minutes (Just over 4 games)

Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 3,201 minutes played - 0 goals, 3 assists - A goal or assist every 1,067 minutes (Just under 12 games)

Last edited:
Since the beginning of last season in all competitions:

Serge Aurier - 3,383 minutes played - 4 goals, 6 assists - A goal or assist every 338 minutes. (Just under 4 games)

Kieran Trippier - 5,287 minutes played - 1 goal, 13 assists. A goal or assist every 377 minutes. (Just over 4 games)

I mean, you can barely separate them in all honesty. I think both could be upgraded.

Kyle Walker-Peters - 880 minutes - 1 goals, 5 assists. A goal or assist every 146 minutes (Every 1 and a half game)

Sorted.

:levylol:

In comparison to some of the 'better rated' right backs in the league:

Kyle Walker - 6,859 minutes played - 2 goals, 8 assists - A goal or assist every 686 minutes (Every 7 and a half games)

Trent Alexander-Arnold - 4,937 minutes played - 4 goals, 9 assists - A goal or assist every 379 minutes (Just over 4 games)

Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 3,201 minutes played - 0 goals, 3 assists - A goal or assist every 1,067 minutes (Just under 12 games)

So despite having a poor season and two injuries, Trippier assists over the last 18 months still absolutely piss over everyone else’s, including mighty Kyles

Interesting for a championship player

Back
Top Bottom