Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s true that we weren’t good collectively, but that doesn’t entirely absolve Aurier, and it certainly hasn’t absolved Trippier from criticism when we’ve been similarly collectively bad.

Two very good examples are the constant reference to the City game where Sane gave him a tough time, and more recently Barca and Wolves.

In none of those games did Truppier get his pants pulled down like Aurier did Sunday so often. We were atrocious against City in that game, but some are still banging on about Sane going past Trippier a couple of times (like he hasn’t don’t that to everyone). Same Barca, we were so fucking naive tactically, but I read Trippier getting blamed for shit that wasn’t even his fault, like the opening goal.

Against Wolves we collapsed collectively, and Foyth gave away two totally unnecessary penalties. Did I read “we were collectively shit so I’m absolving Trippier from any blame”? No, I read - and I quote - “This is all on Trippier”.

Over the last two years, Trippier has been the most productive right back (assists, key passes, chances etc) in the PL and the five major European leagues.

He’s played (and often been pivotal) a part in the majority of our best results in that time (ManU 3 time, Woolwich twice, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real, etc)

Aurier’s rarely put two consecutive half decent games together. Cost us points against Inter away, and certainly doesn’t contribute close offensively to what Trippier does. Even KWP equaled Auriers assists tally last season in one game.

I’ve actually tries to figure out who we could realistically sign across Europe that would fit our profile and style and be an improvement all round on Trippier and I’m struggling to come up with any - that we could sign - that would be a guaranteed upgrade.

I don’t even mind Aurier, but there’s no tangible evidence he’s ever been or going to be better than Trippier as an all round package.

If we hadn’t signed him, and given all those minutes and game time to KWP, maybe we’d be close to an upgrade now, maybe, but we didn’t, so we aren’t.

I think the big difference between Wolves and Woolwich games were that we won the Wolves game. There were good performances from certain players so when you're 0-3 up and go to shit, it's easy to see where it happened.

Against Woolwich, literally NO ONE had a good game. Therefore it'd be silly to single anyone out. Aurier didn't have a good game, you'll find no one saying he did. If Trippier had played, I would have said the same thing. Zero protection and played as bad as every single player on the ptich. I would blame Poch or at least the collective group before singling out any single player against Woolwich. I posted the stat about Dele but I haven't gone off on one because there were a number of factors that prevented him from doing what he's best at.

This is where we differ in numbers. I have never been against Trippiers numbers offensively. It's just not my preferred style of full back. I prefer watching a full back (or wing back) bomb up and down athletically, causing problems with their pace. Offensively they might not provide those numbers Trippier does due to his technique but I feel it's a useful weapon in other ways.

But we're never going to agree on that. I would like KWP to get given game time. For whatever reason it hasn't happened. Whether Poch doesn't think he's up to the level to play consistently or feels he's perhaps too weak? I have no idea. Only Poch will know. I assume he probably didn't think Trippier was good enough to replace Walker and have KWP deputise so signed Aurier. Trippiers level seemed to increase but he had a problem of having a £20,000,000 right back which he probably feels he could salvage. The decision to at least NOT loan out KWP is a confusing one, but I assume it's because he can't rely on Rose due to fitness and KWP can play their.

I think the big difference between Wolves and Woolwich games were that we won the Wolves game. There were good performances from certain players so when you're 0-3 up and go to shit, it's easy to see where it happened.

Against Woolwich, literally NO ONE had a good game. Therefore it'd be silly to single anyone out. Aurier didn't have a good game, you'll find no one saying he did. If Trippier had played, I would have said the same thing. Zero protection and played as bad as every single player on the ptich. I would blame Poch or at least the collective group before singling out any single player against Woolwich. I posted the stat about Dele but I haven't gone off on one because there were a number of factors that prevented him from doing what he's best at.

This is where we differ in numbers. I have never been against Trippiers numbers offensively. It's just not my preferred style of full back. I prefer watching a full back (or wing back) bomb up and down athletically, causing problems with their pace. Offensively they might not provide those numbers Trippier does due to his technique but I feel it's a useful weapon in other ways.

But we're never going to agree on that. I would like KWP to get given game time. For whatever reason it hasn't happened. Whether Poch doesn't think he's up to the level to play consistently or feels he's perhaps too weak? I have no idea. Only Poch will know. I assume he probably didn't think Trippier was good enough to replace Walker and have KWP deputise so signed Aurier. Trippiers level seemed to increase but he had a problem of having a £20,000,000 right back which he probably feels he could salvage. The decision to at least NOT loan out KWP is a confusing one, but I assume it's because he can't rely on Rose due to fitness and KWP can play their.

I wasn't really having a dig at you, I think you and I both agree our midfield is the real basket case, but there's a definite faction on here that are scapegoating Trippier.

I don't really understand this "athletic bombing" argument and never have. Surely the whole point of a fb bombing forward is to have some end product, and I don't just mean pure assist numbers, I mean play a part in transition and game play in forward areas, it's not juts pure assists, it's the general quality of everything Trippier does up there that is superior to what Walker did or Aurier does. And though he's not the most athletic in appearance, it's not like he's slow and doesn't get up and down continually. He took Walker's prime rotation spot on merit in the latter part of 16/17, for those reasons, and was selected over him for England last summer similarly.

He makes the odd mistake when quick and skilful players run at him, but so does Aurier and so did Walker (who got exposed by Mendy of Lyon half a dozen times in two legs - one time costing a goal).

I just don't see many RB's out there who can contribute to the way Poch clearly wants FB's playing and be athletic gods and Lahm intelligent defensively too.

I believe that if we could get a midfield back some of the peripheral issues would dissipate.

Not because of his 2 goal masterclass tonight but surprised to read we would be willing to let him go (if true?). He had a shaky start with some mistakes but has been steadily improving game by game.

giphy.gif

On suspicion, released without charge and The Sun.

Problem is he has history - found guilty of assaulting a police officer outside a nightclub in Paris in 2016. So a worry the story might have legs

Also a worry that he was in custody causing him to miss ManU game per Sun

Last edited:
On suspicion, released without charge and The Sun.
Very true, though can’t say I really know much about the ins and outs of domestic abuse arrests. Alas, the lack of charge may be lack of evidence or her insisting nothing happened despite that perhaps not being the case.

Regardless, this made him miss the bloody United match entirely. Fuck knows how Poch is going to react to this, but it might not be good.

Fuck this guy. Total thug. Sell him immediately.

Second time he's been accused of assault and he's had numerous other incidents and doesn't even perform, no reason to keep him whatsoever.

Very true, though can’t say I really know much about the ins and outs of domestic abuse arrests. Alas, the lack of charge may be lack of evidence or her insisting nothing happened despite that perhaps not being the case.

Regardless, this made him miss the bloody United match entirely. Fuck knows how Poch is going to react to this, but it might not be good.

I guess we'll find out more in the coming days.

Would make sense as to why he wasn't on the bench against United though and we decided to go with two centre backs (WHERE THE FUCK IS KWP!?)

Back
Top Bottom