Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever mitigation we put up for Aurier in terms of the team, the equalising goal was pretty shabby bit of defending, and at that point, that first ten minutes after half time, the game had calmed down a bit.

I don't hate Aurier as a player, my issue is more with people that criticise every tiny facet of Trippier and claim Aurier's massively better defensively, when there's absolutely mountains of evidence to suggest that Aurier's really not much better defensively overall.

I honestly can't remember a game where a team got behind our RB as often as they did yesterday, I literally lost count after about 6 times. So even if we were shit as a team, surely the idea is that the defensively superior Aurier should help limit the damage?

And here's the kicker, at least with Trippier, you'd know you are getting some offensive/midfield pay-off, he helps us play in forward areas, he often sees more ball than anyone in our team, Aurier rarely got over the halfway line yesterday.
Belerin did exactly the same on the other side.

The fact of the matter is we were a team defined by our fullbacks with Walker and Rose dominating the oppo. 2 seasons ago. Selling Walker (for which I support if a player wants out. Doing what we did probably enable to help us maintain our other players from leaving to Utd etc it was a good stance to take) and not having Rose fit or mentally right *insert whatever the fuck is wrong with him* we are no longer this team. We do not pin back the oppo our entire shape is different as a result. Our flanks (FB's) are our weakest part of the team, this has also been compounded by not having Dembele and Wanyama available at their best levels too, the relationship with the covering DM/CM is as important defensively as it is playing out from the back too).

Trippier is still by far one of our worst players, we are a more balanced team with Aurier in the side, NOTHING & I mean NOTHING will persuade me otherwise. But we can and should look to find a better RB. Davies is not as good as Rose when he was at his best, looks like Rose simply isn't the Rose he was before his injury and The Sun exclusives, we can and should be looking for a better LB.

If it was me I'd flog Tripps, keep Aurier and look for a better player than Aurier (KWP is a player I love but I'm not convinced with his physicality yet). Rose has to be sold if he can't get onto the pitch, I mean he is not even challenging that spot now, either because he's not good enough or injured, Davies has been great all things considered given his limitations and having to basically play almost every week whilst Rose fucks about. To sell both LB's would be a risk, so Rose I would sell.

The biggest issue is that our whole homegrown quota is screwed. I'm shit at keeping up with this bollocks but as I understand it Davies doesn't count as homegrown because he was trained under the Welsh FA, despite that Swansea play in the English FA (how fucked is that). Tripps is counted as Homegrown(??) if so that fucks us if we sell him, so we are stuck with him, which is annoying as I think we can make some big money off him (although his price is dropping like a stone given how he is playing).

What a pickle but if it's just a quality thing then Tripps and Rose should be sold and replaced.

Belerin did exactly the same on the other side.

The fact of the matter is we were a team defined by our fullbacks with Walker and Rose dominating the oppo. 2 seasons ago. Selling Walker (for which I support if a player wants out. Doing what we did probably enable to help us maintain our other players from leaving to Utd etc it was a good stance to take) and not having Rose fit or mentally right *insert whatever the fuck is wrong with him* we are no longer this team. We do not pin back the oppo our entire shape is different as a result. Our flanks (FB's) are our weakest part of the team, this has also been compounded by not having Dembele and Wanyama available at their best levels too, the relationship with the covering DM/CM is as important defensively as it is playing out from the back too).

Trippier is still by far one of our worst players, we are a more balanced team with Aurier in the side, NOTHING & I mean NOTHING will persuade me otherwise. But we can and should look to find a better RB. Davies is not as good as Rose when he was at his best, looks like Rose simply isn't the Rose he was before his injury and The Sun exclusives, we can and should be looking for a better LB.

If it was me I'd flog Tripps, keep Aurier and look for a better player than Aurier (KWP is a player I love but I'm not convinced with his physicality yet). Rose has to be sold if he can't get onto the pitch, I mean he is not even challenging that spot now, either because he's not good enough or injured, Davies has been great all things considered given his limitations and having to basically play almost every week whilst Rose fucks about. To sell both LB's would be a risk, so Rose I would sell.

The biggest issue is that our whole homegrown quota is screwed. I'm shit at keeping up with this bollocks but as I understand it Davies doesn't count as homegrown because he was trained under the Welsh FA, despite that Swansea play in the English FA (how fucked is that). Tripps is counted as Homegrown(??) if so that fucks us if we sell him, so we are stuck with him, which is annoying as I think we can make some big money off him (although his price is dropping like a stone given how he is playing).

What a pickle but if it's just a quality thing then Tripps and Rose should be sold and replaced.

I find your ability for to detach yourself from objectivity on the whole RB issue admirable. This notion that we deteriorated because we swapped out Walker is ridiculous. As soon as Trippier came in in the second half of 16/17 we actually got better, absolutely smashed teams back end - in fact I can't remember a period like that spell when we seemed to beat teams 5/6/7 nil almost weekly.

You keep saying Aurier is better, but why ? What possible evidence do you have. He keeps having bad games defensively and offers a fraction offensively that Trippier does. Chelsea and City have won the league the last two seasons with FB's like Delph and Moses FFS.

To say that (FB) is our weakest area is ludicrous when we are a team that doesn't have a midfield any more. That is effecting every thing we do, the way we play now, the way we defend, the way we can't control games any more. Losing Wanyama was absolutely massive. He was outstanding 16/17, and gave us that pivotal stability for those around him to play. Add to that the deterioration of Dembele, the occasional flirtation with Winks, Dier's immense limitations with and without the ball, fucking cart horse on PCP that is Sissoko - how can you say FB is more worrying than midfield. We don't have a single midfielder who's a) good b) physically in tact. c) trusted by Poch

What ever you think of the FB's, Trippier's the most offensively productive in Europe right now, and his defending is certainly no worse than the likes of Delph, TAA, Moses, Alonso, Bellerin, who have won leagues or sitting above us right now. Replacing him and what he brings is going to be fucking difficult, which is why our 25m new signing hasn't managed to do that.

Conversely there are teams mid table with better midfields than we have. Hell, there are midfielders in the bottom half I'd swap with some of ours.

I find your ability for to detach yourself from objectivity on the whole RB issue admirable. This notion that we deteriorated because we swapped out Walker is ridiculous. As soon as Trippier came in in the second half of 16/17 we actually got better, absolutely smashed teams back end - in fact I can't remember a period like that spell when we seemed to beat teams 5/6/7 nil almost weekly.

You keep saying Aurier is better, but why ? What possible evidence do you have. He keeps having bad games defensively and offers a fraction offensively that Trippier does. Chelsea and City have won the league the last two seasons with FB's like Delph and Moses FFS.

To say that (FB) is our weakest area is ludicrous when we are a team that doesn't have a midfield any more. That is effecting every thing we do, the way we play now, the way we defend, the way we can't control games any more. Losing Wanyama was absolutely massive. He was outstanding 16/17, and gave us that pivotal stability for those around him to play. Add to that the deterioration of Dembele, the occasional flirtation with Winks, Dier's immense limitations with and without the ball, fucking cart horse on PCP that is Sissoko - how can you say FB is more worrying than midfield. We don't have a single midfielder who's a) good b) physically in tact. c) trusted by Poch

What ever you think of the FB's, Trippier's the most offensively productive in Europe right now, and his defending is certainly no worse than the likes of Delph, TAA, Moses, Alonso, Bellerin, who have won leagues or sitting above us right now. Replacing him and what he brings is going to be fucking difficult, which is why our 25m new signing hasn't managed to do that.

Conversely there are teams mid table with better midfields than we have. Hell, there are midfielders in the bottom half I'd swap with some of ours.
I've gone into it enough, go to the trippier thread, fill your boots with all of my comments and analysis, there are pages of the stuff. I'm done with it mate, bored fucking shitless with it. Please, why do you fucking go on with this shit? If you can't see that our FB's BOTH sides aren't a problem then you have one hell of a blind spot.

1. Trippier is gash! Can't play out from the back, panics when pressed, can't defend for shit, has got rapped in numerous games (not just the odd one). In attack, he just concedes possession as the vast majority of the time his crosses go to no-one and are easily defended. LOW % shite, football that makes my eyes bleed.
2. Aurier is technically a better player - We can get better than him, he's not the golden ticket but is better than Tripps and at least gives us a better balance
3. Walker is the best RB in the League by a big, big distance.

But enough of this shit now.
giphy.gif

I've gone into it enough, go to the trippier thread, fill your boots with all of my comments and analysis, there are pages of the stuff. I'm done with it mate, bored fucking shitless with it. Please, why do you fucking go on with this shit? If you can't see that our FB's BOTH sides aren't a problem then you have one hell of a blind spot.

1. Trippier is gash! Can't play out from the back, panics when pressed, can't defend for shit, has got rapped in numerous games (not just the odd one). In attack, he just concedes possession as the vast majority of the time his crosses go to no-one and are easily defended. LOW % shite, football that makes my eyes bleed.
2. Aurier is technically a better player - We can get better than him, he's not the golden ticket but is better than Tripps and at least gives us a better balance

giphy.gif

From the position of our FBs being the strongest aspect of our side they are now a liability

All of them unless Danny can regain fitness and form

Trippier and Davies are gash as was Aurier yesterday but possibly hope for Aurier with Poch
Only possibly though and I’d sooner get rid

From the position of our FBs being the strongest aspect of our side they are now a liability

All of them unless Danny can regain fitness and form

Trippier and Davies are gash as was Aurier yesterday but possibly hope for Aurier with Poch
Only possibly though and I’d sooner get rid
Can't have a pop of Davies, I think he's given his maximum and he's always available to play without or little rotation. On the whole, he's solid but we can get a lot better. We have to be aiming for what we had when Rose and Walker were dominating a couple of seasons ago.

giphy.gif

We are talking about it because we are in the thread of one of the two right backs competing for a place, who’s just had yet another mare.

As far as your three points, it’s like instead of accepting when you’ve been proven wrong, you’re now doubling down on the made up bullshit, but we all know you’ve got a pair of 4’s.

Can’t play out, panics when pressed? You know we are talking about Trippier not Dier don’t you?

We are talking about it because we are in the thread of one of the two right backs competing for a place, who’s just had yet another mare.

As far as your three points, it’s like instead of accepting when you’ve been proven wrong, you’re now doubling down on the made up bullshit, but we all know you’ve got a pair of 4’s.

Can’t play out, panics when pressed? You know we are talking about Trippier not Dier don’t you?
No, we are talking about it because you tagged me.

Everything that needs to be said about Tripps and Auier I've written about, I couldn't have made myself any clearer. Nothing has made me change my view regarding these two players. I'm not "wrong" you happen to disagree with my opinion that's all.

I still see a better, more talented footballer in Aurier than I do in Tripps, I've formed this opinion based on watching every single minute of football both have played, in the flesh and on TV for Spurs.

Nothing has made me change my view on how we played with Walker & Rose with compared to now too.

Nothing has made me change my mind on our other FB's KWP, Davies (Rose). (I was delighted with Tripps performances for England in the Wolrd Cup, something he hasn't played like for Spurs, I was hoping he could repeat those performances for Spurs, he simply hasn't, he's been shit).

This and all the other stuff I've typed could be turned into a book on the subject, fill your boots if it interests you, but that's it. I'm done, there nothing else to write about every base has been covered it's just repeating the same shit. So other than praising or slating their performances following a game I'm bored, it's boring.

Everything that needs to be said about Tripps and Auier I've written about, I couldn't have made myself any clearer. Nothing has made me change my view regarding these two players. I'm not "wrong" you happen to disagree with my opinion that's all.

I still see a better, more talented footballer in Aurier than I do in Tripps, I've formed this opinion based on watching every single minute of football both have played, in the flesh and on TV for Spurs.

Nothing has made me change my view on how we played with Walker & Rose with compared to now too.

Nothing has made me change my mind on our other FB's KWP, Davies (Rose). (I was delighted with Tripps performances for England in the Wolrd Cup, something he hasn't played like for Spurs, I was hoping he could repeat those performances for Spurs, he simply hasn't, he's been shit).

This and all the other stuff I've typed could be turned into a book on the subject, fill your boots if it interests you, but that's it. I'm done, there nothing else to write about every base has been covered it's just repeating the same shit. So other than praising or slating their performances following a game I'm bored, it's boring.

Got to be worried when the guy who thinks Sissoko’s great is “agreeing” your post, no?

The problem is we ain’t picking up two ready made, home grown fullbacks, anytime soon. It took ages to get Walker & Rose up to the levels of performance they were putting up week in, week out. That all got fucked when Sheikh City rolled up with their promises of fortunes and medals.
Poch has a fine record with fullbacks though,but I suspect we may have to wait a little while for the next superstars in that position. This homegrown problem we have is an absolute stinker. It’s also bizarre seeing as our lads make up half of the fucking national team. How are other clubs around us not properly in the shit with it?

The whole team was shit. I'm not singling out individuals and it'd be fucking stupid to do so.

he's been shit since he's been here mate and it'd be fucking stupid to not say so. that's not to say he won't do a sissoko and here's hoping he will...

mate, what are you doing? two games? he's been here eighteen months... two games?

Have you not been following the conversation?

I said I wasn't singling out any individuals after Woolwich because the whole team was shit. Aurier was no worse than Dele Alli. (who completed 2 passes the whole of the second half outside of kick offs).

He was fine against Chelsea and Inter Milan when the team played well. Singling him out after the Woolwich game proves a clear agenda. Especially when the team was set up incorrectly and all performed substandardly. I couldn't give a toss what he performed like last season. Before the Woolwich game, I can't think of a single performance from Aurier this season that was relatively poor. In fact the majority of us were wanting him in the team over Trippier before his injury as he had been performing well in the cup competitions

I said I wasn't singling out any individuals after Woolwich because the whole team was shit. Aurier was no worse than Dele Alli. (who completed 2 passes the whole of the second half outside of kick offs).

He was fine against Chelsea and Inter Milan when the team played well. Singling him out after the Woolwich game proves a clear agenda. Especially when the team was set up incorrectly and all performed substandardly. I couldn't give a toss what he performed like last season. Before the Woolwich game, I can't think of a single performance from Aurier this season that was relatively poor. In fact the majority of us were wanting him in the team over Trippier before his injury as he had been performing well in the cup competitions

It’s true that we weren’t good collectively, but that doesn’t entirely absolve Aurier, and it certainly hasn’t absolved Trippier from criticism when we’ve been similarly collectively bad.

Two very good examples are the constant reference to the City game where Sane gave him a tough time, and more recently Barca and Wolves.

In none of those games did Truppier get his pants pulled down like Aurier did Sunday so often. We were atrocious against City in that game, but some are still banging on about Sane going past Trippier a couple of times (like he hasn’t don’t that to everyone). Same Barca, we were so fucking naive tactically, but I read Trippier getting blamed for shit that wasn’t even his fault, like the opening goal.

Against Wolves we collapsed collectively, and Foyth gave away two totally unnecessary penalties. Did I read “we were collectively shit so I’m absolving Trippier from any blame”? No, I read - and I quote - “This is all on Trippier”.

Over the last two years, Trippier has been the most productive right back (assists, key passes, chances etc) in the PL and the five major European leagues.

He’s played (and often been pivotal) a part in the majority of our best results in that time (ManU 3 time, Woolwich twice, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real, etc)

Aurier’s rarely put two consecutive half decent games together. Cost us points against Inter away, and certainly doesn’t contribute close offensively to what Trippier does. Even KWP equaled Auriers assists tally last season in one game.

I’ve actually tries to figure out who we could realistically sign across Europe that would fit our profile and style and be an improvement all round on Trippier and I’m struggling to come up with any - that we could sign - that would be a guaranteed upgrade.

I don’t even mind Aurier, but there’s no tangible evidence he’s ever been or going to be better than Trippier as an all round package.

If we hadn’t signed him, and given all those minutes and game time to KWP, maybe we’d be close to an upgrade now, maybe, but we didn’t, so we aren’t.

Back
Top Bottom