Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Several players have had a poor start to their Spurs career but with Aurier it always looked that he had the skill and potential but just kept making big mistakes that left us conceding goals. That was always something that can be eliminated and whilst all defenders make mistakes, let's hope his are now behind him.

really trying not to... biting my tongue... he's still a spurs player so of course i hope he comes good... maybe start with practising throw-ins?

I can't remember seeing any team get behind any right back as often as Woolwich did to Aurier today. And it's not even as if it's because Aurier was up the pitch attacking.

Now, I know it's not all his fault, we were shite and he got very little help from Sissoko et al, but I also know that wouldn't stop the Tripier thread being full of "not good enough" "ripped to pieces" bullshit.

Would genuinely love to hear Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 's opinion on Aurier's performance today.

I can't remember seeing any team get behind any right back as often as Woolwich did to Aurier today. And it's not even as if it's because Aurier was up the pitch attacking.

Now, I know it's not all his fault, we were shite and he got very little help from Sissoko et al, but I also know that wouldn't stop the Tripier thread being full of "not good enough" "ripped to pieces" bullshit.

Would genuinely love to hear Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 's opinion on Aurier's performance today.
Why me? Because I don't rate Tripps? I don't get why you reference me, unless.........well, you know you are holding a torch for Tripps. Tell me I'm wrong.

The answer you seek you already have, your words = "Now, I know it's not all his fault, we were shite and he got very little help from Sissoko".

The way we set up, our formation was totally wrong. We played a narrow diamond against a team that attacks using the wings, we handed the wings to them on a plate. When we changed to 4-3-3 that threat went almost immediately and we scored two goals. We remained not very good but they didn't continue to attack down our flanks with anything like the success they were getting prior.

Why me? Because I don't rate Tripps? I don't get why you reference me, unless.........well, you know you are holding a torch for Tripps. Tell me I'm wrong.

The answer you seek you already have, your words = "Now, I know it's not all his fault, we were shite and he got very little help from Sissoko".

The way we set up, our formation was totally wrong. We played a narrow diamond against a team that attacks using the wings, we handed the wings to them on a plate. When we changed to 4-3-3 that threat went almost immediately and we scored two goals. We remained not very good but they didn't continue to attack down our flanks with anything like the success they were getting prior.

That is exactly my point.

You don't apply the same criteria. You slaughtered Trippier for Barcelona, and they didn't get behind him nearly as much as Woolwich did today, and they didn't have Messi and against Barca we had a CM2 against their CM3, they also attack using flanks, as well as having vastly superior players, unlike today where at least Aurier had the lateral protection of a CM3 throughout - not a cm2 and a lazy AM up ahead - and we were sat deep in our own half. We played the same against Chelsea and Sissoko covered Aurier.

If that had been Trippier today it would have been all his fault that Woolwich repeatedly got behind him and he would have been "targeted" and the "weak link" blah blah.

That is exactly my point.

You don't apply the same criteria. You slaughtered Trippier for Barcelona, and they didn't get behind him nearly as much as Woolwich did today, and they didn't have Messi and against Barca we had a CM2 against their CM3, they also attack using flanks, as well as having vastly superior players, unlike today where at least Aurier had the lateral protection of a CM3 throughout - not a cm2 and a lazy AM up ahead - and we were sat deep in our own half. We played the same against Chelsea and Sissoko covered Aurier.

If that had been Trippier today it would have been all his fault that Woolwich repeatedly got behind him and he would have been "targeted" and the "weak link" blah blah.
No mate, had Trippier played the result would have been the same.

Tripps has been shit in those games and got called out for it. Aurier was poor today but so were at least 8 or 9 other players.

But if it makes you feel better the thread all yours, start bashing Aurier with all you might and fury.

Tripps has been shit in those games and got called out for it. Aurier was poor today but so were at least 8 or 9 other players.

But if it makes you feel better the thread all yours, start bashing Aurier with all you might and fury.

But it would have all Trippier's fault, wouldn't it ? It would have been added to the "games that Trippier's cost us" no ?
Have ever seen a game where anyone's got behind Trippier as many times as Woolwich got behind Aurier today?

The berating of Foyth early in the game after his own blatant fudge up was a disgrace.

It set the tone for his clueless afternoon, probably rocked Foyth's confidence too when what he needed was help getting settled.

He's gone back down in my estimation, I know he's played a lot lately, but that attitude is simply not on IMO.

Ben Davies is Mr Average in all aspects of his game. Aurier is great for physicality and energy, but shit at positioning and tackling. As a result, we have two bang average full-backs. Both need replacing if we want to reach the next level

I'd sell them both, get in a quality right back and use KWP as cover

The berating of Foyth early in the game after his own blatant fudge up was a disgrace.

It set the tone for his clueless afternoon, probably rocked Foyth's confidence too when what he needed was help getting settled.

He's gone back down in my estimation, I know he's played a lot lately, but that attitude is simply not on IMO.
Foyth shouldnt have started in the first place. Poor decision from Poch if Toby wasnt injured. Young guy who has a habit of making retarded mistakes was not what we needed in a big game. Not that Aurier was much better either.

Foyth shouldnt have started in the first place. Poor decision from Poch if Toby wasnt injured. Young guy who has a habit of making retarded mistakes was not what we needed in a big game. Not that Aurier was much better either.
Forth has a habit of playing very well. Toby has done what Foyth did twice this year already. (Toby has played more minutes of football this season than anybody in our side if you include Internationals, it’s more than feasible why he was rotated, would love to have seen the comments if he’d pulled s hammy for the 3rd successive season on the trot)

Whatever mitigation we put up for Aurier in terms of the team, the equalising goal was pretty shabby bit of defending, and at that point, that first ten minutes after half time, the game had calmed down a bit.

I don't hate Aurier as a player, my issue is more with people that criticise every tiny facet of Trippier and claim Aurier's massively better defensively, when there's absolutely mountains of evidence to suggest that Aurier's really not much better defensively overall.

I honestly can't remember a game where a team got behind our RB as often as they did yesterday, I literally lost count after about 6 times. So even if we were shit as a team, surely the idea is that the defensively superior Aurier should help limit the damage?

And here's the kicker, at least with Trippier, you'd know you are getting some offensive/midfield pay-off, he helps us play in forward areas, he often sees more ball than anyone in our team, Aurier rarely got over the halfway line yesterday.

Agree. Aurier bawling at Foyth for not tracking the runner was disgraceful. Yes Foyth should have tracked back but then Aurier was responsible for the free kick after letting a pass go under his foot.

I thought we had turned a corner with Aurier, he has put some decent displays in this season and his reaction at full time against Inter showed to me that he does care. Let's hope yesterday was a one off and we see a return to consistently solid performances rather than the awful display he turned in yesterday

Back
Top Bottom