Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay this is reminding me of when BAE said he watched games undercover at The Lane and joked he thought he was sitting next to Maradonna and Messi based on the criticism the players were getting.

So you don't peddle your opinion on players here? :pochrolleyes:

BAE's point was about supporting the team, rather than demanding from the stands that the players are infallible robots who never make mistakes.

Two former spurs on that list. We should be a bit more adventurous with our loan system.

In Bennetts case, most likely. Though saying that, I don't think he was ever "Highly rated" amongst youth watchers like Onomah, Winks, Kane, KWP etc. were and he's not even made a single squad appearance for Gladbach this season (Though no idea if he's been injured)

In terms of Madueke, he was 16. No one worth a damn is going to give him game time at that age (loan-wise). Nothing we could do with that one I am afraid, just someone who wanted to go PSV and try something new elsewhere. Just one of those where it was totally out of our hands.

Interesting Reo Griffiths isnt on the list either. Though, like I predicted, I imagine he'll have left Lyon and playing in English lower leagues within a few years. Not surprised Edwards isn't on the list by the way, he isn't particularly known all too well outside the Spurs bubble, can barely get in England youth teams and is playing for a team known for fighting relegation in the Dutch league whereas all those mentioned are at top clubs abroad.

He can do tricks. so what.
That's a talent for sure, just not the one I'd rate highly for a player (besides the point I think there's also a gross exaggeration of his skills).

Tricks? He is taking on and beating men in one of Europe's leagues, he's 19yo, he's got a lot of learning to do, but just being able to control the ball like that and beat players is a very good skill that many try and fail at. I mean, fuck me, it's like you haven't been watching Sissoko trundle around, creating the square root of fuck all for two and half years at a cost of 5m a year. Edwards is costing us about a 50th of that and produces about the same already.

Tricks? He is taking on and beating men in one of Europe's leagues, he's 19yo, he's got a lot of learning to do, but just being able to control the ball like that and beat players is a very good skill that many try and fail at. I mean, fuck me, it's like you haven't been watching Sissoko trundle around, creating the square root of fuck all for two and half years at a cost of 5m a year. Edwards is costing us about a 50th of that and produces about the same already.
I agree that Edwards brings as much value as Sissoko. But that doesn’t say much. Edwards is a pointless player. He’s a you tube freestyler and that’s his level. He’s not a footballer

I agree that Edwards brings as much value as Sissoko. But that doesn’t say much. Edwards is a pointless player. He’s a you tube freestyler and that’s his level. He’s not a footballer

He's clearly got some ability. Maybe with good coaching and maturity he can develop. Why don't we wait until he's at least out of teens before completely writing him off?

He's clearly got some ability. Maybe with good coaching and maturity he can develop. Why don't we wait until he's at least out of teens before completely writing him off?
Because I know how to evaluate a player. I know what I’m looking at.

I wrote him off a long time ago. I received abuse on here. Now the tide has turned.

Same thing happened with Onomah.

You’ll also notice that the players I back normally come through. I have an undeniably strong track record. Maybe if you stick at it you can develop one, I’d stay clear of the specious show ponies though.

I wrote him off a long time ago. I received abuse on here. Now the tide has turned.

You’ll also notice that the players I back normally come through. I have an undeniably strong track record. Maybe if you stick at it you can develop one, I’d stay clear of the specious show ponies though.
Who have you backed?

Our own manager likened the kid to Messi. Now I know in hindsight those comments were ill advised and clearly had an adverse effect on him, but for Poch to have made them comments at all, considering how reserved he normally is in personal praise of players, would lead me to believe Edwards at least at one point had something very special about him.

Our own manager likened the kid to Messi. Now I know in hindsight those comments were ill advised and clearly had an adverse effect on him, but for Poch to have made them comments at all, considering how reserved he normally is in personal praise of players, would lead me to believe Edwards at least at one point had something very special about him.

Didn't he just liken his style to Messi? As in he has low centre of gravity, relatively quick and can turn in a phone-box?

Those comments have really gotten taken out of context. I know and play football with many people who have that same style as Messi, low centre of gravity, small, quick feet, good dribblers etc.

Didn't he just liken his style to Messi? As in he has low centre of gravity, relatively quick and can turn in a phone-box?

Those comments have really gotten taken out of context. I know and play football with many people who have that same style as Messi, low centre of gravity, small, quick feet, good dribblers etc.
Yeah you might be right, but surely for a 17 year old to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Messi it had to have been a signal of how highly Poch rated him.

Back
Top Bottom