Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok, putting aside his size or lack of it. Why is Edwards not playing for any of the England youth teams? Two summers ago, he was on the bench for the u19 team. So he has made no progress at all with the England set up. And he's nowhere near the u21 team.

Last edited:
Obviously Transfermarket have got their facts wrong! Like you Guido, I have seen Marcus Edwards up close and he is really small mate. He is always the smallest player on the pitch. You shoulda gone to Specsavers.
There is a reason why he has not progressed that much. it's because he is really small.
If he ever plays in the premier league we will all be able to see just how small he is. And that is all I have to say on the matter.
I too have seen him up close, watched him play MANY a games. Yes mate, he's very small. But you know what he's BIGGER than David Silva and he's BIGGER than Bernado Silva! I wonder just how good the Silva's will be when they "bulk up a bit"? They might really be able to prove what they are all about.

Obviously Transfermarket have got their facts wrong! Like you Guido, I have seen Marcus Edwards up close and he is really small mate. He is always the smallest player on the pitch. You shoulda gone to Specsavers.
There is a reason why he has not progressed that much. it's because he is really small.
If he ever plays in the premier league we will all be able to see just how small he is. And that is all I have to say on the matter.

I believe Barcelona have a smaller player.

Lionel ?

Been in contact with both Silva' s Edwards the 7 dwarfs and Lester piggot , an identity parade arranged by Hertfordshire police tomorrow where they will all stand side by side the winner ie the smallest wins a night with Bridget the Midget.

I too have seen him up close, watched him play MANY a games. Yes mate, he's very small. But you know what he's BIGGER than David Silva and he's BIGGER than Bernado Silva! I wonder just how good the Silva's will be when they "bulk up a bit"? They might really be able to prove what they are all about.
Why is Edwards playing for Excelsior then? What's holding him back?

Bernardo is 4yrs older than Edwards. 4yrs ago Bernado was still playing for the B team (he made his ONLY first team appearance that year) what was “holding back” Bernado back then?
You make a fair point. However, Bernado was on loan to Monaco as a 20 year old and was purchased from Benfica for£15m half way through that loan season. After that, two more seasons at Monaco and two so far at City. So Marcus is a fair way behind Bernado at the same age. Would he be able to get into Monaco's first team this coming season? I wish the boy well anyhow.

You make a fair point. However, Bernado was on loan to Monaco as a 20 year old and was purchased from Benfica for£15m half way through that loan season. After that, two more seasons at Monaco and two so far at City. So Marcus is a fair way behind Bernado at the same age. Would he be able to get into Monaco's first team this coming season? I wish the boy well anyhow.
No, he was 21 when he went on loan to Monaco making 15 appearances (I think that's a good number). So Edwards with 14 appearances for Excelsior has had more Senior apps (15 in total) than Bernado and he's still 20!!

No, he was 21 when he went on loan to Monaco making 15 appearances (I think that's a good number). So Edwards with 14 appearances for Excelsior has had more Senior apps (15 in total) than Bernado and he's still 20!!
Dammit Guido, you're turning me into SpursDem.
Bernado was born on 10 Aug 1994. He signed on loan to Monaco on 7 Aug 2014 when he was three days short of his 20th birthday. Therefore during his loan season he was 20 years old.

Bernado was born on 10 Aug 1994. He signed on loan to Monaco on 7 Aug 2014 when he was three days short of his 20th birthday. Therefore during his loan season he was 20 years old.

People mature mentality and emotionally at different ages. Skipp at 17/18 looks comfortable out on the pitch and in front of a camera being interviewed, while Edwards is only just getting to that stage.

Last edited:
Your maths was better than mine for Silva’s birthday but that still shows Edwards having played one more Snr level football game than Silva before their 21st birthday. Career path isn’t that different is it?!?

So in summary he’s heavier, taller and has made 1 more Snr appearance than Bernado (at the same age in their career). If he can emulate the work rate shown by Bernado we will have a genuine world beater on our hands.

People mature mentality and emotionally at different ages. Skipp at 17/18 looks comfortable out on the pitch and in front of a camera being interviewed, while Edwards is only just getting to that stage.

Some interesting late bloomers in this list:

Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Klose etc weren't even/ had barely started their professional careers at around 19-21.

I was making mental comparisons with Skippy as well. Skipp was practically a man at the age of 17. Which kind of explains why he's already played in the first team. Edwards on the other hand couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag. That's why he's at Excelsior.

Some interesting inside knowledge about Edwards if anyone is interested.

My mate is one of the physio's at Brentford. Edwards has been with them the last few days training.

My friend said everything that we have already heard about him. My friend had no knowledge of Edwards before last week.

He said is attitude is terrible. He struts around with his shorts down his arse and looks completely disinterested.

My friend spent some time giving him some treatment on an existing injury and he told him that he enjoyed his time living in Rotterdam and playing on Holland. He is rather quite but this comes across as arrogance.

Edwards wasn't really too keen to do much work. The Brentford fitness test broke Edwards and he chose not to continue.

As we have heard before, the coaching staff can see he has the potential to be an excellent player but are worried how is attitude will effect the squad. Brentford sent Edwards back but my friend is unsure if he will be back.

Just thought I'd share that. Better than all the itk transfer bollocks I suppose.

Some interesting inside knowledge about Edwards if anyone is interested.

My mate is one of the physio's at Brentford. Edwards has been with them the last few days training.

My friend said everything that we have already heard about him. My friend had no knowledge of Edwards before last week.

He said is attitude is terrible. He struts around with his shorts down his arse and looks completely disinterested.

My friend spent some time giving him some treatment on an existing injury and he told him that he enjoyed his time living in Rotterdam and playing on Holland. He is rather quite but this comes across as arrogance.

Edwards wasn't really too keen to do much work. The Brentford fitness test broke Edwards and he chose not to continue.

As we have heard before, the coaching staff can see he has the potential to be an excellent player but are worried how is attitude will effect the squad. Brentford sent Edwards back but my friend is unsure if he will be back.

Just thought I'd share that. Better than all the itk transfer bollocks I suppose.

I really hope this lad makes it. Especially if he does come across as arrogant but that could easily be shyness or awkwardness judging by what your friend says.

Such a good technical footballer. Times on his side if he keeps working at his game and the less natural areas to him.

Just not sure it will be in a Spurs shirt that we see the best of him.

I really hope this lad makes it. Especially if he does come across as arrogant but that could easily be shyness or awkwardness judging by what your friend says.

Such a good technical footballer. Times on his side if he keeps working at his game and the less natural areas to him.

Just not sure it will be in a Spurs shirt that we see the best of him.
The fact Edwards didn't return to Tottenham before going to Brentford would suggest Spurs aren't fussed about him. My mate said it's normal for a player to be assessed before going out to another club.

Back
Top Bottom