Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch DID say in the summer that everyone has been given a clean slate so I do hope some of these guys are given the chance to impress. Being surrounded by better players will make you look better, hide your weaknesses and above all, we all love to see a promising talent succeed.
With the exception of Janssen, who simply had a clean plate.

giphy.gif

Still looks like a 13 year old playing in the men's league

I remember this following bit from the brilliant piece told by Mason shared in his thread:

"I remember having a conversation with academy manager John McDermott and him telling me he didn’t expect me to be playing in the Premier League until I was 22, because of the way my body was developing. Some boys are physically mature at 16, but with me that wasn’t the case."

He's got plenty of time to get there. As long as he gets his head right and keeps it that way.

I remember this following bit from the brilliant piece told by Mason shared in his thread:

"I remember having a conversation with academy manager John McDermott and him telling me he didn’t expect me to be playing in the Premier League until I was 22, because of the way my body was developing. Some boys are physically mature at 16, but with me that wasn’t the case."

He's got plenty of time to get there. As long as he gets his head right and keeps it that way.
Quite. They can't all be Lukaku, eh?

Or Joseph Minala
:adegrin2:

SAF also told Lingard he wouldn't be ready until like 24 too.

Rare but happens.

Terrific article:

Privacyinstellingen op VI.nl
Spurs mercenary Edwards comes loose at Excelsior: 'What he can do is not normal'
22 Feb 2019
18:
A Tottenham Hotspur player at Excelsior. Pingeldoos Marcus Edwards (20) starts to feel at home in Kralingen. Get acquainted with the British weapon of Woudestein, which played a leading role last Sunday during the crucial 2-1 victory over FC Emmen. "I'm not here to disappoint people."

The embrace with his father shows pure football happiness in his most vulnerable form. Marcus Edwards celebrates his goal and assist and the oh so important win of Excelsior at FC Emmen at the edge of the field with his support and support. The attacker promised on Friday a goal and an assist and fulfilled his agreement. 'I always do everything I promise' is his simple explanation.

Edwards has to tell his story afterwards for the NOS camera. "No, I would rather not have done that," he confesses. Media attention is nothing for him, he just wants to ping old-fashioned, drive opponents to despair and entertain the audience. It does not stop him from excelling for Excelsior. "I talk with my feet, not with my mouth."

When the Friday morning training in the Van Donge & De Roo Stadium has ended and the players exhaustively find the locker room after a long, intensive session, one player is in the spotlight to kick some balls towards the goal. 'Look, he is busy again,' points trainer Adrie Poldervaart. Marcus Edwards does not want to go inside yet. "This is the Marcus we have seen since the winter break." Last year he was the silent, somewhat withdrawn Englishman who did not seem to be able to ground in Rotterdam. The mystery-Edwardsthey already called him. A stray strange bird. Now he is thawed and he can call himself an undisputed basic player, the hope of Excelsior in the complex relegation battle and a hand binder for Eredivisie defenders. 'This is an incredible player', Vitesse coach Leonid Slutsky remarked after Edwards gave a quick course of slalom to the Arnhemmers immediately after the winter break.

Edwards came to Excelsior in August, stowed by Tottenham Hotspur. He was there like a thunder in a clear sky. In a place that he never thought he would ever be. A mega talent from London in Kralingen, that sounds like a penguin in the desert. With his thoughts he sometimes seemed to be in the English capital, a dreamer on and off the field. Edwards dribbled with the ball on a string, showing himself a comic book hero from a bygone era. His return, however, was low and co-defenders were not there. Was this a mega-talent, once by Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino renamed 'mini-Messi' because of his dribbling?
"He's just twenty." The face of Adrie Poldervaart exudes something natural. The four words of the Excelsior coach tell the story. "Now let's not forget that this is a young boy. Everyone immediately saw that this is an exceptional talent, but he came into a strange country with new people around him and suddenly played against seniors. '

Poldervaart saw the metamorphosis of Edwards from nearby at the training camp in Spain. "I had received an English article about English top talents. Among others about him and about Jayden Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. Supported with statistics and conclusions. I doubted for a long time whether I should let Marcus read, it was quite critical. But I did it anyway. Go and read thisI told him. We also spoke. The penny has fallen, he has to do more than he used to. You see that he is doing better now, is also doing more with others. I like to see it. Jeffry Fortes and Lorenzo Burnet have played an important role in this. I call Lorenzo and Marcus the Two Brothers on the 4th Floor. Fortes and Burnet took care of Edwards in Spain. You should not exaggerate that, but putting him at ease is important. He has become more social. "

Time to ask the protagonist a few things, but that is not a simple task. During the interview request, press chef Vincent Wernke had already warned: 'Marcus does not like the press and does not like to talk.' From the first moment that he was in Rotterdam, you saw the Englishman ostentatiously dodging journalists. The right time and the right comment seem necessary to reach him. A challenge has been born. Also because Edwards has a flat London accent, so that a conversation in understandable and understandable English is not a matter of course.

When the attacker walks out of the field with his small passes, Poldervaart calls him. Edwards greets kindly, in his eyes the fear is visible for what is to come. The trainer puts him at ease and mediates, although no agreements have been made about this in advance. "Marcus, I know you do not like the press, but we have now picked one for you that is of your height, that does not matter." Nothing has been lied to. According to his player passport, Edwards is 1 meter 76, but if you see him working from the tribune, you estimate him smaller. The interviewer is officially three centimeters smaller and slightly less trained, the hairdress explains the difference in the benefit of Edwards.

NAUGHTY LAUGH
Edwards suddenly stands in a place where he would rather not be. Only with a journalist, he feels himself in a dark alley. On the opening question whether he is having a good time at Excelsior, a predictable answer follows. 'Yes.' Honest is fair, a clear answer to a stupid closed question. He is getting ready to walk, but by immediately following an open question, the conversation is saved. In fact, the quiet Edwards does not seem so quiet. If you listen carefully to the inner gibberish, satisfactory answers come. 'I knew little about the Netherlands. I knew the top clubs, otherwise nothing. Excelsior? No, only from the FIFA game. "

A mischievous laugh breaks through. They have not seen him laugh so much in Kralingen, but lately he clearly feels more at ease. "In the beginning I was searching. I was in a strange city, had never been away from home for long. I ended up in a different world, had to get to know my fellow players and get used to the way of training. I wanted to pick it up, I worked hard. " Edwards's presence was good for Edwards. 'It may sound strange, I am a boy of just twenty and live with my father. But I like it. And he too. It's good for me that he is here. "

Pa Edwards is the biggest fan of Marcus. In Gelredome we saw him dancing happily after his first Eredivisie goal was made by his son. Against Emmen we also see him in the stands, Excelsior - and his son in particular - inciting. Enjoying the leading role that Edwards junior claims for. 'A great man who talks a lot', Jeffry Fortes knows. 'A real speech waterfall. I think Marcus does not have that part of him. "

"In the beginning I was searching. I was in a strange city, I had never been away from home for long. "

Edwards is one of the many talented football players from England who hope to get playing time abroad. 'It is true that many young English players go to Europe . It is difficult to break through in England at a young age. On the one hand because there are many foreigners and on the other hand we do not know the youth competition as it is here. You have to play as a young footballer to be able to develop. I'm doing it now. For me the Netherlands is fine. The way of playing football suits me. I played at Tottenham often as 10, here on the outside. I do not actually have a favorite position yet. "

Since his eighth, Edwards is the Spursplayerand in the second cup tournament he was allowed to come in once, for Vincent Janssen. Getting Tottenham 1 seems like a logical dream. "I have no dreams," he confesses. 'I have talent, it is up to me to do something with it. If I bring the first from Tottenham, I have done well; if it does not work, I have to look for the blame myself. I follow Tottenham and will always continue to do so, it is my club. I have seen them win from Borussia Dortmund this week. Then I cheer hard. " Edwards now focuses on Excelsior, life preservation in the Eredivisie is at stake and secretly is expected that he can play a major role in this. 'I have to be important, I want to be important. I know people expect that, I'm not here to disappoint people. "
WINK
"That went pretty well," the visibly surprised press chief noticed. Earlier in the week, Wernke had asked Edwards to work on a piece in the program booklet. "Should I do that or should I do that?" He had answered with a questioning look. We make the appointment after the game against FC Emmen still to meet. One goal and one assist, can we agree on that? The promise is made. And a wink as a bonus. "He's a funny guy," teammate Fortes laughs. Edwards looks around for a moment. He is probably proud of the interview he has given and sticks a thumb. Fortes reacts. "Now I'm going to talk about you, friend."

"You will not get rid of him on a sidewalk tile. But there is more to it, eh '

The Cape Verdean right back sees Edwards as his little brother. "He is not a talker, no, although he begins to become more and more loose. We let him do the music in the locker room, that helps. It is just his character, he is not exuberant, rather in himself. We are always so good at giving someone a stamp in football. Marcus just does not like talking, is not that allowed? You do not need to have a value judgment on that. It also has good sides. He prefers to be at home rather than going into town. Marcus lives for football, he wants to succeed. It's up to him. If you have so much talent, you have to make the most of it. '

How good is Edwards? Fortes laughs, he seems to find it a silly question. "Everyone sees that. He is of a bizarre level. What he can do is really not normal. I have not experienced a better player in my career. Pochettino did not make that comparison with Messi for nothing. He was referring to his way of moving and there is really something in there. You will not get rid of him on a sidewalk tile. But there is more to it, eh. He now plays relegation football. He has never experienced that. He sometimes still plays as a junior, he never had to deal with those responsible. And he plays on artificial grass. He is much better on grass. And there is a certain pressure. He is for many the rented player of Tottenham Hotspur, not Marcus Edwards. Of course it is also incredible that he is walking around here, let's face it. "Fortes expects the British youth to show himself in the coming months. 'He has already done that since the winter break. Now he has to go scoring and give assists. We also have a click on the field. He is left and wants a lot inside, because of that I can over it. Although, I always have to wait and see what he does and respond to it. '

BODYGUARD
When we talk about the future of Edwards, Fortes comes up with a remarkable suggestion. "The Ødegaard route is something for him," he remarks. 'It's a bit comparable. Both super talents, everything is always done for them, the youth team in which they played was decorated on them. I seriously think that Edwards was such a pupil who started dribbling, all opponents passed, scored and pulled the ball out of the net to have the ball again as soon as possible after the kickoff. ' But what is the Ødegaard route? 'Do not go back after half a year in the Netherlands. With his type of game, Marcus fits here, he can develop here. He is not going to play in the first of Tottenham yet, so do it here. Preferably another year at Excelsior, yes,

Edwards meets his promise against FC Emmen. A goal and an assist. He knows and reports laughing. "This was the deal, right?" The fun eyes are sparkling. "Important three points this. Good for the team towards the next matches. And for me, of course. I need to score more and give assists, I know. Efficiency is that called? " Trainer Poldervaart is passing by. "You are friends now, are not you?" Technical director Ferry de Haan has gotten the air from the promised promise of Edwards. "Take him home for a week," it sounds. Edwards now puts the music in the dressing room.

Fortes hopes that they will read the story in London with and about his young teammate Edwards. "In a few years we will go to Marcus if he plays the Champions League final." The older brother devises an alternative route on the spot. "Maybe they see that they have to take me as Marcus's body-guard. It's good for him that I keep a close eye on him. Who is the right back there, Serge Aurier right? "

According to this website, Edwards has averaged more successful dribbles than Hakim Ziyech and Steven Bergwijn, as well AZ Alkmaar winger Oussama Idrissi. Seems like he's finally growing s little bit over there

Tottenham's Marcus Edwards is finally justifying Messi comparisons in Holland

Biggest issue is his lack of final product at the end of those dribbles. Only 6 players in Europe's top 5 leagues have completed more dribbles, but here are the rest of their stats in comparison:

Neymar - 4.8 (13 goals, 6 assists)
Ben Arfa - 4.6 (5 goals, 2 assists)
Saint-Maximim - 4.3 (6 goals, 2 assists)
Boufal - 4.2 (2 goals, 2 assists)
Januzaj - 4.1 (0 goals, 3 assists)
Messi - 3.8 (25 goals, 11 assists)
EDWARDS - 3.6 (2 goals, 2 assists)

Compared to the top 5 in completed Premier League dribbles:

Hazard - 3.2 (12 goals, 10 assists)
Zaha - 3.2 (7 goals, 2 assists)
Sterling 2.7 (12 goals, 9 assists)
Redmond - 2.3 (3 goals, 2 assists)
Traore - 2.2 (1 goal, 1 assist)

Although it's also worth noting that the defending in the Eredivisie is borderline pathetic. If we DO decide to loan him out though, I think we could do a lot worse than sending him off to Ligue 1 (or preferably the Bundesliga) which are both higher level with better opposition.

Biggest issue is his lack of final product at the end of those dribbles. Only 6 players in Europe's top 5 leagues have completed more dribbles, but here are the rest of their stats in comparison:

Neymar - 4.8 (13 goals, 6 assists)
Ben Arfa - 4.6 (5 goals, 2 assists)
Saint-Maximim - 4.3 (6 goals, 2 assists)
Boufal - 4.2 (2 goals, 2 assists)
Januzaj - 4.1 (0 goals, 3 assists)
Messi - 3.8 (25 goals, 11 assists)
EDWARDS - 3.6 (2 goals, 2 assists)

Compared to the top 5 in completed Premier League dribbles:

Hazard - 3.2
Zaha - 3.2
Sterling 2.7
Redmond - 2.3
Traore - 2.2

Although it's also worth noting that the defending in the Eredivisie is borderline pathetic. If we DO decide to loan him out though, I think we could do a lot worse than sending him off to Ligue 1 (or preferably the Bundesliga) which are both higher level with better opposition.

Very good to see or at least hear his numbers have spiked over recent weeks though. Hopefully he can continue chipping away at those numbers and this can be the start of his career good and proper. He clearly has talent, he moves in such a unique way that it would be a huge shame if we don't get to see him develop. I think you're right, the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 really could be ideal for him if he comes back and we see promising signs in his overall play

Very good to see or at least hear his numbers have spiked over recent weeks though. Hopefully he can continue chipping away at those numbers and this can be the start of his career good and proper. He clearly has talent, he moves in such a unique way that it would be a huge shame if we don't get to see him develop. I think you're right, the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 really could be ideal for him if he comes back and we see promising signs in his overall play

They have PSV at the weekend so we'll get to see a glimpse of what he's like against a defence we've played against twice this season.

Hopefully he's in the team as he was left out the last time Excelsior played PSV - I'll be sure to tune in though and have a look.

Back
Top Bottom