Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Marcus Edwards vs Vitesse

85% Pass success
29 Accurate passes
6 Recoveries
4 Dribbles succeeded
3 Chances created
3 Key passes
1 Goal

Currently watching Excelsior vs. Feyenoord as it's pretty much Edwards up against the third best team in the country - he's very good to watch, great low centre of gravity and gets himself out of difficult situations but his end product has been absolutely woeful, that could be the players round him as opposed to him though, he's clearly their best player (or has been today)

One counter attack he done some sublime skill to beat a defender and then with it being 2 on 2, just gave the ball away completely. Can hear the home fans get excited every time he gets the ball though. 0-0 at half time.

Wins a lot of free kicks too.

He got 89 minutes in the end, subbed off right at the death.

Feyenoord went 0-1 up but Edwards had a hand in the Excelsior equaliser and it was 1-1 at the time he came off. Turned the stream off now he's gone off. He had a good game. Good opportunity near the end with him running centrally towards their goal but his pass was perhaps a bit underhit and his team mate didn't really get the best opportunity to score.

Good game though. Always looking to take on his man if the option to pass wasn't there, good defensively and won Excelsior a lot of free kicks which they were a threat from.

Feyenoord went 0-1 up but Edwards had a hand in the Excelsior equaliser and it was 1-1 at the time he came off. Turned the stream off now he's gone off. He had a good game. Good opportunity near the end with him running centrally towards their goal but his pass was perhaps a bit underhit and his team mate didn't really get the best opportunity to score.

Good game though. Always looking to take on his man if the option to pass wasn't there, good defensively and won Excelsior a lot of free kicks which they were a threat from.

I watched the last 20, like you say, he had a hand in their equaliser, nearly set up another, but what caught my eye was his also work off the ball, which I think he’s worked hard at over the last 3-4 years, he’s pretty diligent at tracking his man and getting back to help out defensively.

I’ve started watching the first 20 too, and he’s got on the ball several times and looked good, maybe could have had a pen and a couple of times dribbled out of corners, gone to play agive and go and not got the right pass back.

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would benefit enormously from playing with a higher calibre ofplayer around him, he has such a unique skill, that ability to dribble past players, and not in a headless power and pace “adama Traoré” type way, but it is definitely more mini “Messi” jinky in style.

As an aside I notice he was WhoScored’s top rated player from both teams. I know that’s not conclusive proof of anything and is based on data set algorithms. But as well as having the most dribbles 5, he also had the most tackles 5, of anyone, which reinforces what I was saying about his defensive work.

Crucially, his substitute scored the winner with literally his first touch, about 25 seconds after coming on...

What was more telling, was that Edwards not only totally looked straight past his manager as he came off, (didn't even acknowledge him) but was the ONLY Excelsior player who remained in the dugout, and didn't celebrate with the rest of his teammates with was, by the look of it, a dramatic winner against a local (bigger) rival... I imagine it's akin to West Ham scoring a LAST minute winner against us!

Now I'm not saying he probably wasn't frustrated at being subbed, compounded by the fact his replacement scored the winning goal seconds after coming on... but fucking hell son, show some character, and fucking JOIN in with your tram mate's celebrations, rather than sulking 'cos you weren't playing for Real or Barca, or whoever it is he thinks he's deserving of...

He may not be a mini Messi... but he didn't half come across as a massive knob!

Currently watching Excelsior vs. Feyenoord as it's pretty much Edwards up against the third best team in the country - he's very good to watch, great low centre of gravity and gets himself out of difficult situations but his end product has been absolutely woeful, that could be the players round him as opposed to him though, he's clearly their best player (or has been today)

One counter attack he done some sublime skill to beat a defender and then with it being 2 on 2, just gave the ball away completely. Can hear the home fans get excited every time he gets the ball though. 0-0 at half time.

Wins a lot of free kicks too.
his lack of decision making was really his only flaw in that game. Impressed with how much he contributed in defense in the second half.

If he is up for it I would totally send him back to Holland next season as well but to one of the teams that frequent further up the table like Utrech, Vittesse or such. I don't think he would be able to dislodge any of the players at the top Dutch teams. But it would be fun to see him work with some slightly better players around him.

Or try one of the top Belgian clubs. Brügge, Standard, Genk etc

I watched the whole game last night and I don’t think his decision making was bad, in the first half there was one instance where he tried to play a team mate through on the counter and just played it behind him, the decision wasn’t bad, just the execution.

There were a couple of other instances where his execution was a little off, But most of his decisions were ok. The good thing is, he doesn’t panic, and he gets his head up and tries to do the right thing.

Did also have a good part in the equaliser.

I watched the whole game last night and I don’t think his decision making was bad, in the first half there was one instance where he tried to play a team mate through on the counter and just played it behind him, the decision wasn’t bad, just the execution.

There were a couple of other instances where his execution was a little off, But most of his decisions were ok. The good thing is, he doesn’t panic, and he gets his head up and tries to do the right thing.

Did also have a good part in the equaliser.

Thought he had a good game, certainly makes for a better spectacle when he's involved.

One thing I've realised is that he doesn't really have pace and gets swatted off the ball - he looks like he's zipping around with his legs whirring away, but he's about 5ft 4 - doesn't seem to pull away like Raheem Stirling or other comparable players.

Back
Top Bottom