Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The writing is on the wall with this kid. He has all the ability to be a nice player, but he seems to lack the drive to be great. Messi has the gifts to be a great, but he wanted it and I don’t think you can say the same about Marcus. A lot of what I have seen of him screams “I’m good so I don’t have to work”

Seems to be becoming quite a sad situation with this player.

He’s now 20 and has only a handful of games at professional level to show for all the hype.

Players develop at different rates but for comparison Gibbs White is younger and has around 4 times as many games behind him.

across all the clubs he has been involved he seems to be getting absolutely found out. Another Bostock situation maybe,where he is at a lower level ? Or is it a mental issue, if it is I really hope somehow he works out that sometimes we fail due to the one in the mirror, not everyone else. Although fail is a broad term. Still a pro footballer.....hardly a complete mess, as with Bostock !

Last edited:
One the fucking bench tonight. (Excelsior v Heracles).

DvCmFB6X0AAiybW.jpg:large

Just seen this recent article about Marcus Edwards in the Dutch press.

Hoe goed zijn onze Messi's eigenlijk?

Translation:

Marcus Edwards is a great talent in England. He goes through the entire youth education of Tottenham Hotspur. He plays in all English youth teams. Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino gives him the nickname Mini Messi in 2016, just before his debut in the Premier League. 'His qualities, appearance and physical appearance are reminiscent of the earlier version of Lionel Messi.'

Barely two years later, the super-talent has to fight for a base at Excelsior, which rents him this season from the English top club. After a failed rental period at Norwich City - Edwards, only six minutes went into action in three months - in Rotterdam East he has to give his new career a new boost.

That only succeeds. Where in the first weeks the admiring oehs and aahs of the tribune roll when the agile winger starts a dribble, he finds himself more often back on the bench during the last few weeks. 'At Excelsior they are not satisfied with him', says RTV Rijnmond journalist Sinclair Bischop, who follows the club closely. 'He has to be more responsible and has too little efficiency with one assist.'

Unnecessary pressure
Yet Bischop sees something special in the small dribbler (1.76 meters). "I'm lyrical. Have already called that Martin van Geel as technical director of Feyenoord should do business with Tottenham fast. Edwards can do so much with a ball on the square meter. You do not see a player like that much in the Netherlands. He always ensures a man-more situation. I understand what Pochettino meant by his comment about Messi. "

At Tottenham Hotspur they are less happy at the time with the comparison of the trainer. By mirroring Edwards to one of the best players ever, Pochettino puts undue pressure on talented people. It is the reason that Excelsior shields the player. The club wants the mercenary especially good to play football.

Whether Excelsior and Edwards want it or not, the nickname Mini Messi will forever stick to the talent. Those who type 'Edwards' and 'Messi' on Google will receive a series of articles. In 2017, Pochettino unsuccessfully tries to weaken his words in his book New Brave World . "Marcus has authority and behavioral problems. We have to look at the big picture to find out what the cause is. "

At Excelsior they have difficulty getting height from the introvert Englishman. According to Bischop it is in and around the Van Donge & De Roo Stadium an open secret that he suffers from homesickness. 'His father has now come over again, then you immediately notice that he is better in his skin. He also goes his own way. We have not been able to interview him yet. FOX Sports also wanted to talk to him, but that was not recommended by the club because he finds interviews very difficult. '

So Edwards is still a big mystery: how good is he really? Bishop is convinced that he has the potential to become a phenomenon. The journalist points to Dries Mertens in his time at AGOVV. "With him, it also took a long time before he broke through. But you saw early on that he had something special. ' Although Bishop wonders whether Edwards has the good character to reach the top. 'As a footballer you also have to be able to develop outside the field. I ask my question about that. '

All you hear is questions about his attitude. It’s come from too many sources now to think that he’s going to get past it. Shame.

He always ensures a man-more situation. I understand what Pochettino meant by his comment about Messi. "

At Tottenham Hotspur they are less happy at the time with the comparison of the trainer. By mirroring Edwards to one of the best players ever, Pochettino puts undue pressure on talented people. It is the reason that Excelsior shields the player. The club wants the mercenary especially good to play football.

Whether Excelsior and Edwards want it or not, the nickname Mini Messi will forever stick to the talent. Those who type 'Edwards' and 'Messi' on Google will receive a series of articles. In 2017, Pochettino unsuccessfully tries to weaken his words in his book New Brave World . "Marcus has authority and behavioral problems. We have to look at the big picture to find out what the cause is. "

At Excelsior they have difficulty getting height from the introvert Englishman. According to Bischop it is in and around the Van Donge & De Roo Stadium an open secret that he suffers from homesickness. 'His father has now come over again, then you immediately notice that he is better in his skin. He also goes his own way. We have not been able to interview him yet. FOX Sports also wanted to talk to him, but that was not recommended by the club because he finds interviews very difficult. '

So Edwards is still a big mystery: how good is he really? Bishop is convinced that he has the potential to become a phenomenon. The journalist points to Dries Mertens in his time at AGOVV. "With him, it also took a long time before he broke through. But you saw early on that he had something special. ' Although Bishop wonders whether Edwards has the good character to reach the top. 'As a footballer you also have to be able to develop outside the field. I ask my question about that. '

:ledleylick:

All you hear is questions about his attitude. It’s come from too many sources now to think that he’s going to get past it. Shame.

The problem for me is 'his attitude' isn't, I believe, what we think it is.
That is to say, rather than him thinking he's all top dog, big kahuna etc, I think 'his attitude' is more along the lines of social awkwardness, inability to understand others / see things from the perspective of others (perceived as problems with authority). Honestly, going out on a limb here, I believe there is every possibility he's autistic.

Honestly, going out on a limb here, I believe there is every possibility he's autistic.

I see where you're coming from and no disrespect intended, but I'm uncomfortable with the pathologizing of aberrant behaviour we see a lot nowadays. Maybe he is on the spectrum but social awkwardness doesn't equal Asperger's, and we shouldn't guess.

I see where you're coming from and no disrespect intended, but I'm uncomfortable with the pathologizing of aberrant behaviour we see a lot nowadays. Maybe he is on the spectrum but social awkwardness doesn't equal Asperger's, and we shouldn't guess.

I don't, generally speaking, like to pathologise about anyone, but what we hear doesn't necessarily add up to what a lot of people are suggesting, as such I feel there is more than meets the eye here. Though I do confess, when it comes down to social / behavioural difficulties and autistic tendencies, my opinion is somewhat swayed due to personal circumstance. As for guessing...that's what we do, we're internet folk without knowledge of the actual situation, we guess things.

I don't, generally speaking, like to pathologise about anyone, but what we hear doesn't necessarily add up to what a lot of people are suggesting, as such I feel there is more than meets the eye here. Though I do confess, when it comes down to social / behavioural difficulties and autistic tendencies, my opinion is somewhat swayed due to personal circumstance. As for guessing...that's what we do, we're internet folk without knowledge of the actual situation, we guess things.

Well there are plenty of people who are just a bit awkward and autism has nothing to do with it, conversely there are autistic people you would never guess are (though they're in a minority, I think).

As for internet speculation on any subject each to their own I guess, but I find it all largely boring and pointless. Plenty of stuff that we do know about to talk about.

I see the Eredivisie are now on their winter break. Looks like Excelsiors next game is 18th Jan. Does anyone know what the teams do with their players during this period? Is it training as normal, or do they have a complete break for a couple of weeks?

I see the Eredivisie are now on their winter break. Looks like Excelsiors next game is 18th Jan. Does anyone know what the teams do with their players during this period? Is it training as normal, or do they have a complete break for a couple of weeks?

Tony Cascarino while at Monaco during the French winter break would be sent home with a fitness program that he totally ignored!!

Just seen this recent article about Marcus Edwards in the Dutch press.

Hoe goed zijn onze Messi's eigenlijk?

Translation:

Marcus Edwards is a great talent in England. He goes through the entire youth education of Tottenham Hotspur. He plays in all English youth teams. Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino gives him the nickname Mini Messi in 2016, just before his debut in the Premier League. 'His qualities, appearance and physical appearance are reminiscent of the earlier version of Lionel Messi.'

Barely two years later, the super-talent has to fight for a base at Excelsior, which rents him this season from the English top club. After a failed rental period at Norwich City - Edwards, only six minutes went into action in three months - in Rotterdam East he has to give his new career a new boost.

That only succeeds. Where in the first weeks the admiring oehs and aahs of the tribune roll when the agile winger starts a dribble, he finds himself more often back on the bench during the last few weeks. 'At Excelsior they are not satisfied with him', says RTV Rijnmond journalist Sinclair Bischop, who follows the club closely. 'He has to be more responsible and has too little efficiency with one assist.'

Unnecessary pressure
Yet Bischop sees something special in the small dribbler (1.76 meters). "I'm lyrical. Have already called that Martin van Geel as technical director of Feyenoord should do business with Tottenham fast. Edwards can do so much with a ball on the square meter. You do not see a player like that much in the Netherlands. He always ensures a man-more situation. I understand what Pochettino meant by his comment about Messi. "

That's a really good find Totti. Good read.

Back
Top Bottom