Salary Cap - Level the playing Field

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You need excitement.

Look at Wrexham.

Look at Ipswich, L1 to Championship last season, and hopefully to EPL this season (I'm not biased at all from the 2 aussies playing for them)

So what happens if Ipswich make it up?
Next year they'll be battling with the bottom 6 teams to avoid relegation.

The middle 6 teams will be battling to maybe get to UEFA competition, but unlikely.

The lower of the top eight teams will think it a great season if they get to UEFA.

Meanwhile, the big 5 will again be battling out for top spot.
I really hope that Spurs can next year make it the Big 6.

Do you really think that the EPL is a fair competition in it's current state?
Considering that the big 5 have won 29 of the last 31 titles, I definitely don't.

Wait till the American owners try and take their games in house to show on their own TV channels. If they ever get that passed the PL is done. They already tried the Super League to get ridiculous amounts of money. If the group TV deal ever ends and that happens then that is the end of competitive football in this country.

We have nothing to lose from that though. We've already lost Kane, Bale and Modric, plus Walker domestically. Don't give a shit about whether Manchester misses out on a few tourists.
Our team has the 6th highest wage bill, so we'd lose a lot more than our very occasional superstars. There's no detail to the proposal so we're debating over very little but it could mean no players over the , let's say, Hojbjerg level.

Levy's wet dream this isn't it

"Sorry lads - you all need to take a 40% pay cut due to the new Salary cap rules - Fortunately i'm not a player so im getting a 25% rise!":levylol:

The problem is, unless all the other big leagues also introduce a similar salary cap, all the best players would leave England for higher wages elsewhere.
So?

Football is no different than horse racing - it's most interesting when contested by many evenly matched clubs.

Less foreign Carlos Kickballs, more local lads, more even competition and parity. Sounds like the heady days of the terraces to me.

Funny how often posters complain about "modern football", but how resistant they are to change things at the same time.

The trouble with a salary cap is that football's structure does not allow for it.

In order to have an even salary cap in the US/AUS model, the league needs to share nearly all revenue - almost all the money goes into 1 pot and comes out equally. Owners will agree to this model only if they aren't at risk of relegation.

If/when the ESL is fully formed, it will no doubt come with a closed structure and salary cap.

But it won't work in football as is. Employing a system where the cap is tied to club revenue, like FFP, really only benefits the rich clubs as it solidifies their financial advantage.

BUT,
Where does the income come from? The fan base.
If enough people jacked up, they'd have no choice than to change their model.
Yeah, but football is a drug. If supporters could stomach standing up and walking away, they'd have done it a long time ago. Supporters have very little leverage at all, because we lack willpower.

No salary cap for me. More profit sharing from TV deals and any other collective source of revenue is very good though.

Trying to figure out how to get more revenue for the Champo would be great too so teams there can focus on steady development rather than risk it all to stay up type scenarios.

Honestly if you look around the only other league that appears to be doing this as well or better than the Prem is the Bundesliga.

On a side note MLS super draft is the dumbest shit of all time. Please don’t take any sporting ideas from the USA- most of if not all our sports have ended up as nothing more than extended infomercial montages.

Back
Top Bottom