Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
The Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) have launched a campaign to support the trials of standing areas for fans in top-flight and Championship grounds. Aston Villa have become the first Premier League club to publicly back the campaign, along with Peterborough, Crystal Palace & Bristol City, who have given their support to calls for the Government to allow ‘small-scale trials of safe standing areas’ and have volunteered to host a trial.

The Fighting Cock are conducting the following survey to gauge Tottenham Hotspur supporters views on safe-standing at White Hart Lane.

We intend to present the staff at the club with the results from this survey once we've achieved a reasonable level of response.

Click to view survey

Really, Tucker?

"We intend to present the staff at the club with the results from this survey once we've achieved a reasonable level of response."

:avblol:

Done!

Hopefully there will be a good response with some of the clubs taking notice. I do love going to a game when I'm in Germany and having the option to stand (along with a beer but that will be asking too much). Please can you pass on the results to the club?

I gone dun it!

Pretty much 'yes' to the first 6, and a resounding pffffft, NO to the last one, or else what's the point?

Good luck with it boys! (that sounds all gay!) :balesnarl: :adelol:

Whilst I would back this call for myself and any other like minded fan, be careful what you wish for. I am guessing that many of the forums younger members would not have sampled the White hart lane terraces pre early 1990s. In particular the lower shelf. One game in particular being against Norwich City circa 1983, with only about 18-19 thousand people in a stadium capable of holding nearly 50,000 it was carnage. Of course, things would be set up differently these days but even so it is not something I would like the spurs youth to have to put up with, in fact it could put future support off. As with most retrospective thinking and memories, in reality, was it really that good, probably not. If this idea did take off, you would find that most clubs would expand the terraces to squeeze more revenue, sorry I mean supporters into the ground, before you know it, sardine time again. Whilst seating has its drawbacks it also has a lot of positives. I remember the doubters around the time of the Taylor report saying that all seaters would have no atmosphere, well apart from Highbury and the Emirates, most stadia have improved on that score, especially WHL. I would prefer a mixture of both seating and standing with the collapsible seats option, that way certain games with big demand could be catered for. Also is this something that Levy would go for, with the new stadium just around the corner, it would mean changes on a large scale to an already drawn out affair. It is only my opinion, but whilst I have great memories of the WHL terraces, I've also seen some scary moments, not to mention poor viewing.

Whilst I would back this call for myself and any other like minded fan, be careful what you wish for. I am guessing that many of the forums younger members would not have sampled the White hart lane terraces pre early 1990s. In particular the lower shelf. One game in particular being against Norwich City circa 1983, with only about 18-19 thousand people in a stadium capable of holding nearly 50,000 it was carnage. Of course, things would be set up differently these days but even so it is not something I would like the spurs youth to have to put up with, in fact it could put future support off. As with most retrospective thinking and memories, in reality, was it really that good, probably not. If this idea did take off, you would find that most clubs would expand the terraces to squeeze more revenue, sorry I mean supporters into the ground, before you know it, sardine time again. Whilst seating has its drawbacks it also has a lot of positives. I remember the doubters around the time of the Taylor report saying that all seaters would have no atmosphere, well apart from Highbury and the Emirates, most stadia have improved on that score, especially WHL. I would prefer a mixture of both seating and standing with the collapsible seats option, that way certain games with big demand could be catered for. Also is this something that Levy would go for, with the new stadium just around the corner, it would mean changes on a large scale to an already drawn out affair. It is only my opinion, but whilst I have great memories of the WHL terraces, I've also seen some scary moments, not to mention poor viewing.
the only part I have an issue with, you think WHL improved since going all-seater in terms of atmosphere?

With safe-standing, we're allocated to a space so I don't think it'd need that much more room.

Pussy!

In reality though, I think they'd be very aware of the safety issues (hence the name)... I don't think it will be anything like the sardine-time of yesteryear, when they really didn't give a shit HOW many people were in any one area, and probably made the attendance figures up on pure guesswork, estimation, and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey!

I think the German (or is it Dutch?) system will be the way forward... SAFE standing will surely have it's time... most fans who used to go, and who still do, would welcome it. It's simply the ACT of standing at a match that I think people want to return, not the face crushed up against the hairy bloke in front and a cup of squashed tea down your front whenever we get a corner!

Thelonious, with regard to the better atmosphere, I was thinking more towards the safety aspect of the event rather than the noise. But even so, back then you would be hard pushed to get 20-25 thousand people making as much noise as they do these days with the wrap round stadium that we have now. Back then the Paxton and Park lane where basically massive garden sheds with gaping holes at either end, apart from the hardcore fans/hooligans it was difficult to get anything going like it does today. Tickets were £2-4 in the shelf then and still only attracting crowds of 15 -20 thousand for the lesser games, obviously the Derby games and the Mancs attracted more people.
If anything was to happen regarding the campaign, then I would suggest just going for it, but also remembering about the people who wouldn't/couldn't benefit from it ie: kids, disabled etc.
The atmosphere at most grounds today is better than back then due to the fact that the hooligan element has been sorted out to a certain degree, it is no coincidence that attendances have increased on a pro rata basis since all seaters have been introduced.

Whilst I would back this call for myself and any other like minded fan, be careful what you wish for. I am guessing that many of the forums younger members would not have sampled the White hart lane terraces pre early 1990s.

Blatant I'm an old fart post

:adegrin:

Back
Top Bottom