Safe-standing at White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I imagine alot of us have this email in our inboxes this morning

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Allow Premier League and Championship football clubs to introduce safe standing”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

The debate is scheduled for 25 June 2018.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
Emailed my local MP, who also happens to be Shadow Sports Minister, to ask whether she will be attending and what her position will be. You'd like to hope that Labour will see it as a good opportunity to go on the offensive and paint the Tories as backward-looking and out of touch with football fans... but who knows.

My knees took a right battering when Dele scored in the Semi... and ALL due to the plastic seats in front (and partly due to me standing and crowd surfing when we scored!)
But OTHER than that... safe standing would've been a better alternative!

If your government truly cares about the safety of the public attending football matches, they will support modern safe standing regulations and design. It's really that simple. Anything else is just misinformation and lies.

My knees took a right battering when Dele scored in the Semi... and ALL due to the plastic seats in front (and partly due to me standing and crowd surfing when we scored!)
Yes but that will not change. If it comes in it will be for a set area and limited numbers. ST holders in other areas may not have the option to change and will still want to stand. I still miss standing on the shelf but see this safe standing being at best a very limited option for a minority of supporters. As I understand it will not increase capacity and so what would the ST price be ? the same or the club loses out.

You know what, you raise an excellent point. I bloody wish that 'vloggers' would actually put themselves to good use and record some of the issues regarding standing in front of seats at games like the semi.

You know what, you raise an excellent point. I bloody wish that 'vloggers' would actually put themselves to good use and record some of the issues regarding standing in front of seats at games like the semi.
Yeah, But they always seem to stand at the front (Or in the disabled section) so never have to encounter such day-to-day issues of the average fan!

Plus, they just wrap their pristine HALF-and-HALF scarves around their legs for added protection from any "ne'er-do-wells" standing behind them!!

I can't see the government changing tack on this issue because of the debate that is now scheduled. As I said before not one single law has been brought into the statute books directly because of these online petitions.

However, as someone further up the thread pointed out to me, it does all build awareness of the issue, which can surely only be a good thing in the longer term.

I think the government probably have an unwritten rule that these petitions shouldn't ever be passed into law, because if one does it'll lead to the peasants thinking they actually have some power. The Proles have to be kept under control somehow.

The government response to the petition looks like they’ve already quashed it
They were hardly gonna change their mind on it between the WBA decision and now. The debate isn't going to result in legislation being voted on, but it might (fingers crossed) at least push Labour to formulate an formal policy on it.

It's mad, when I used to stand East Lower or Paxton I used to look at the seated posh people and wish I had a seat lol you dont know what you have got until its gone I guess.

I must admit, although I'm probably in the minority, I prefer sitting now. To old to stand all game.

It's mad, when I used to stand East Lower or Paxton I used to look at the seated posh people and wish I had a seat lol you dont know what you have got until its gone I guess.

I must admit, although I'm probably in the minority, I prefer sitting now. To old to stand all game.

Surely better than these days though, where instead of not having enough money to sit rather than stand someone in that position doesn't have the money to go to the game at all! Fair play to anyone who prefers to sit, safe-standing is about giving people a choice and would hopefully mean less people standing in seated areas too.

Blimey ... just maybe there is a chance this will happen ...

Safe-standing: Government begins talks over possible review
Major breakthrough for safe standing after government talks
Safe standing boost for Premier League and Championship teams

The press seem to be getting behind this (at last) after the daft 'nobody wants it' response two months ago suddenly Tracey Crouch is falling all over herself to hold meetings before the 'debate' on the 25th June ... I guess she doesn't want to look a complete idiot all over again ...

"The sports minister has not shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence and viewpoints are considered extremely carefully."

Those nice shiny new seats in the South Stand could all be on e-bay soon ... lol .....

Blimey ... just maybe there is a chance this will happen ...

Safe-standing: Government begins talks over possible review
Major breakthrough for safe standing after government talks
Safe standing boost for Premier League and Championship teams

The press seem to be getting behind this (at last) after the daft 'nobody wants it' response two months ago suddenly Tracey Crouch is falling all over herself to hold meetings before the 'debate' on the 25th June ... I guess she doesn't want to look a complete idiot all over again ...

"The sports minister has not shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence and viewpoints are considered extremely carefully."

Those nice shiny new seats in the South Stand could all be on e-bay soon ... lol .....
This is Labour's Shadow Sports Minister. Get your survey responses in!

Back
Top Bottom