Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't want to come off as knocking the guy, I'd love for a homegrown player to really make an impact on our team, but it comes off quite premature to start putting him in the number 10 role ahead of Eriksen.

It is great that he came on and was so influential, and that he had a good pre-season but this talk of putting him in the starting line up only means when/if he doesn't perform instantaneously, he'll get pillared. Drafting him in, seeing how he does in games of greater intensity, level of opposition will be important but not getting setting expectations to high to soon is equally so.

The issue with most fans is that they now think that he'll be the saviour of the season, place unmeasurable amounts of pressure on the kid and then slate him when he doesn't perform like Maradona's regen.

He was very good yesterday. We needed someone to change the match and he almost single handedly did it himself. He's definitely deserving of more run outs this season, especially in the cup and possibly Europe. But I don't think it would be sensible for him to come into the starting lineup.

LOL jk Mason 4 Balon D'or

The issue with most fans is that they now think that he'll be the saviour of the season, place unmeasurable amounts of pressure on the kid and then slate him when he doesn't perform like Maradona's regen.

He was very good yesterday. We needed someone to change the match and he almost single handedly did it himself. He's definitely deserving of more run outs this season, especially in the cup and possibly Europe. But I don't think it would be sensible for him to come into the starting lineup.

LOL jk Mason 4 Balon D'or

Agreed, although it does make you think about our youth player and buying policy, the end of last season Kane was our top forward in terms of performances (hell, he probably is this season), this despite the fact he was competing with a striker bought for more than £20 million. I would argue that EL and the LC should be a testing ground for talented youth players and if they put in 3-4 good performaces and our first team players are sucking donkey balls then give them a chance in the prem, although Woolwich might be to much of a step up.

While Kane does have weaknesses when he is on I do feel we have an actually striker on the pitch when he is playing who won't disappear like Ade or get bullied all day like Soldado and Ryan Mason looks like a high tempo player which has been a huge area of concern for Spurs the past two seasons.

The West Brom performace was too AVB like in nature for me, foreign or home grown I want players who move the ball quicker playing, if our youth players can do I don't think we should be afraid of using them.

I don't want to come off as knocking the guy, I'd love for a homegrown player to really make an impact on our team, but it comes off quite premature to start putting him in the number 10 role ahead of Eriksen.
Agree.
Don't want to see him ruined.But i would give the bloke a place on the bench Saturday for his passion alone

Last edited:
Agreed, although it does make you think about our youth player and buying policy, the end of last season Kane was our top forward in terms of performances (hell, he probably is this season), this despite the fact he was competing with a striker bought for more than £20 million. I would argue that EL and the LC should be a testing ground for talented youth players and if they put in 3-4 good performaces and our first team players are sucking donkey balls then give them a chance in the prem, although Woolwich might be to much of a step up.

While Kane does have weaknesses when he is on I do feel we have an actually striker on the pitch when he is playing who won't disappear like Ade or get bullied all day like Soldado and Ryan Mason looks like a high tempo player which has been a huge area of concern for Spurs the past two seasons.

The West Brom performace was too AVB like in nature for me, foreign or home grown I want players who move the ball quicker playing, if our youth players can do I don't think we should be afraid of using them.
I agree. Sometimes we can definitely benefit from a fresh player who is hungry to impress and get his name noticed. Like you said, Kane did that towards the tail end of last season and I'm sure Mason will do so throughout the course of this season.

The issue I have is that a lot of fans, particularly on Twitter, are calling for him to start against Woolwich and that would be a calamitous mistake. However, for the rest of the season, I'd love him to be on the bench and starting a fair few PL games.

This may sound mad, but why not play Mason alongside Capoue. I was impressed with him pre season. He doesn't need to adapt. He gets the ball, looks up and moves it forward, and fast. He also seemed to have a good range of passing He does nothing out of the ordinary, just plays pass and move football.
I mean, we couldn't do any worse & are we going to write him off as we never paid £xm for him? He's Spurs through and through.
Said this defending MP and blaming the players. My first thought when we appointed MP was where do Dembele and Paulinho fit into this. Dembele is not a player who moves the ball fast. He does not move into space often either. He also is not up for constant pressing, same for Paulinho.
The player that plays along side the Stambouli/Capoue should be able to get the ball, move it fast and get into around the box supporting/linking with the attacking three. A box to box midfielder. He should also have an eye for goal.
Bentaleb is not that type of player either. He had a great chance to take a shot with his left foot last night first half, bur looked uncomfortable that far forward and crossed into nothing.
Stambouli, I thought, did quite well. It's just Bentaleb did not get forward enough. He seems to get a nosebleed when doing so. I was disgusted when he had about 10 yards of space in front of him but turned around and played it back. What's wrong with taking responsibility, making things happen?
I thought Mason was named in our 23 man EPL squad http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/premier-league-squad-list-030914/ and I am surprised that he has not been give a chance as he is obviously a MP type player. Maybe MP thinks he's not up for it. However, he could have got chance v QPR, WBA or Sunderland.
I don't like to knock our players, but I don't think Dembele, Paulinho or Bentaleb will ever be the type of player to play alongside the defensive midfielder. Apart from the wing back on the right, this is the main factor why we struggle to break teams down. They are all not suited in one way or another.

Said this defending MP and blaming the players. My first thought when we appointed MP was where do Dembele and Paulinho fit into this. Dembele is not a player who moves the ball fast. He does not move into space often either. He also is not up for constant pressing, same for Paulinho.
The player that plays along side the Stambouli/Capoue should be able to get the ball, move it fast and get into around the box supporting/linking with the attacking three. A box to box midfielder. He should also have an eye for goal.
Bentaleb is not that type of player either. He had a great chance to take a shot with his left foot last night first half, bur looked uncomfortable that far forward and crossed into nothing.
Stambouli, I thought, did quite well. It's just Bentaleb did not get forward enough. He seems to get a nosebleed when doing so. I was disgusted when he had about 10 yards of space in front of him but turned around and played it back. What's wrong with taking responsibility, making things happen?
I thought Mason was named in our 23 man EPL squad http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/premier-league-squad-list-030914/ and I am surprised that he has not been give a chance as he is obviously a MP type player. Maybe MP thinks he's not up for it. However, he could have got chance v QPR, WBA or Sunderland.
I don't like to knock our players, but I don't think Dembele, Paulinho or Bentaleb will ever be the type of player to play alongside the defensive midfielder. Apart from the wing back on the right, this is the main factor why we struggle to break teams down. They are all not suited in one way or another.

If I am honest I am not sure were Pualinho or Demebele fit in at all. Paulinho grabs the odd goals but little else and for all of Demebele's natural gifts he slows the play down to much, I can see now why MP wanted Schniederlin, I still don't feel we quite have the right midfield balance.

Stat Attack! :pochohshit:

A look at the game's statistics shows just how influential Mason was, making five key passes in 30 minutes. That's impressive, but let's place it in further context to examine just how so.

In any Premier League game this season, no Spurs player has created more than four goal-scoring opportunities in 90 minutes:

A little context should of course be applied in that Nottingham Forest are a Championship team, yet sitting unbeaten at the top of it, they could very easily be in the Premier League next year.

Given he was on the pitch for such a short period of time, and managed to score a crucial goal, Mason's performance was outstanding, completing 88 per cent of his passes.

Ben Davies made the closest number of key passes to Mason, making three in 90 minutes last night.

The guy did well, but so did Guy Butters, Scott Houghton, Marney and Darren Caskey - so I'm not going to get carried away. Hopefully I'll be made to look (more of) a cunt by Ryan

There is a lot to be said about Sherwood's influence with the years he was with us. It's the best batch of youngsters I've seen in the prem era. Sol and Ledders were Lillyshawl products and since then it's been pretty dire.

It's just a shame Sherwood was too extreme emotionally putting Siggy and Chadli in the boiler room, Walker and Lennon as roaming forwards and it was him that made Rose a defender and not a winger.

He gets so much right but just overdoes it with the gung-ho mDness.

He can take some pride away from what he did here. And I hope he gets a top job.

Back
Top Bottom