Ryan Mason - Has he been sacked yet ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

youre the exact type of person they bank on having support from. fucking naive. how could he of earned it? hes 32, no previous experience where hes worked his way up...the football has been shit for years (bar moments from kane individual brilliance etc)... how the fuck has he earned his role. hes there out of sympathy its as simple as that. but yea, lets let 32 year old ryan mason with fuck all experience continue with an important role at a club that generates top 10 revenue in the world. get little winksy in next when he has a career ending injury.

id expect a club like tottenham to have some of the best coaches in the world...they generate the revenue to warrant that...you telling me that ryan mason is that?

if we was norwich it would be acceptable...its meant to be tottenham hotspur. billion pound stadium, 'meant' to be fighting for major honours, pulls in more money than 99.9% of clubs...handing out important roles to unqualified people...stinks!

you wouldnt see man united give luke chadwick an important coaching role and they are a shambles.

more spursyness...son captain, ryan mason assistant coach spursyyyyyyy
Not starting Bale in the League Cup Final defeat against Man City in his second game in charge was enough for me to question Ryan’s judgement. Bale had had the most goal involvements per minute on the pitch out of anyone that season (and the 2nd most in PL history) and had just helped win the game for Spurs v Southampton with a great performance and goal a few days earlier. His reward was to be dropped. Was dumb not to play him from the start and it cost us. Could have made a real name for himself and shown him to be his own man but followed the lead of the sacked Mourinho in failing to embrace a real match winner

Last edited:
He should do what Kieran McKenna did... Learn your trade in lower leagues, and now he's on the brink of becoming a PL manager... and possibly the type of young, up and coming coach for US to consider one day...
McKenna took his first coaching role at Spurs (U18's) in 2015 when he was 28yrs old

Mason took his first coaching role at Spurs (U19's) in 2019 when he was 28yrs old.

McKenna became (under Mourinho) assistant head coach at Man United in 2018 at the age of 31. McKenna remained as an assistant first-team coach after Mourinho was sacked, then when OGS was sacked through to 2021, under Ragnick he's now 34 by this point.

Mason became caretaker Manager at Spurs following the sacking of Mourinho in 2021 at the age of 29 making him the youngest PL manager ever. He was made 1st Team coach under Conte, then assistant to Stelinni, then Caretaker manager for Spurs again following Stalinni's dismissal. He's now 31. Now at the age of 32 (still TWO years younger than McKenna at this stage) Mason is an assistant coach under Ange at Spurs.

I mean fucking hell they have had virtually identical grounding as coaches. I wouldn't call the League One and Championship "lower leagues" either. Managing Ipswich is a high-profile role for a manager, especially one so young. Mason is still two years younger than McKenna was when he became Ipswich Manager.

So who knows what Mason's next step will be two years from now, it's entirely logical that he will do exactly the same as McKenna and manage a League One Club when he's 34 years old is it not?

Last edited:
McKenna took his first coaching role at Spurs (U18's) in 2015 when he was 28yrs old

Mason took his first coaching role at Spurs (U19's) in 2019 when he was 28yrs old.

McKenna became (under Mourinho) assistant head coach at Man United in 2018 at the age of 31. McKenna remained as an assistant first-team coach after Mourinho was sacked, then when OGS was sacked through to 2021, under Ragnick he's now 34 by this point.

Mason became caretaker Manager at Spurs following the sacking of Mourinho in 2021 at the age of 29 making him the youngest PL manager ever. He was made 1st Team coach under Conte, then assistant to Stelinni, then Caretaker manager for Spurs again following Stalinni's dismissal. He's now 31. Now at the age of 32 (still TWO years younger than McKenna at this stage) Mason is an assistant coach under Ange at Spurs.

I mean fucking hell they have had virtually identical grounding as coaches. I wouldn't call the League One and Championship "lower leagues" either. Managing Ipswich is a high-profile role for a manager, especially one so young. Mason is still two years younger than McKenna was when he became Ipswich Manager.

So who knows what Mason's next step will be two years from now, it's entirely logical that he will do exactly the same as McKenna and manage a League One Club when he's 34 years old is it not?
Agree, they have both had a similar trajectory, but with very different success rates...

Sorry to be pedantic, but what ARE The Championship and League 1 if they're not lower league?

I didn't mean it in a disparaging way either, Champo/League 1 are the PERFECT leagues for young managers (and young players) to hone their craft, and improve themselves in a stable environment, without all the added pressure cooker of the likes of Sky's: WIN EVERYTHING or you're an automatic failure mantra, or CERTAIN entitled fans calling for PL managers heads if their clubs DON'T get CL football within a year of them setting foot through the door!!

I think McKenna will get to the PL with Ipswich, and if he does well, will no doubt be cherry picked by one of the so called 'bigger clubs' some day... One of whom might even be US!!

Agree, they have both had a similar trajectory, but with very different success rates...

Sorry to be pedantic, but what ARE The Championship and League 1 if they're not lower league?

I didn't mean it in a disparaging way either, Champo/League 1 are the PERFECT leagues for young managers (and young players) to hone their craft, and improve themselves in a stable environment, without all the added pressure cooker of the likes of Sky's: WIN EVERYTHING or you're an automatic failure mantra, or CERTAIN entitled fans calling for PL managers heads if their clubs DON'T get CL football within a year of them setting foot through the door!!

I think McKenna will get to the PL with Ipswich, and if he does well, will no doubt be cherry picked by one of the so called 'bigger clubs' some day... One of whom might even be US!!
I would call lower Leagues League 2 and below, League 2 being the first rung of "professional" football. The championship is a big demanding League, there are some highly experienced managers in there and McKenna has certainly shown his worth in it this year but he is an outlier, the majority that try to cut their teeth in that league don't do very well and even more importantly they fail to communicate their philosophy as they end up chasing results rather than developing themselves and their ideas.

McKenna was highly rated when he was with us, just as many others with him at the time like Matt Wells etc. Basicly the group put together by McDermott was highly sought after. (I think it's hard for us on the outside of academy football to truly evaluate a coach's ability as they work with so many different caveats (First team manager taking the academy players as cones in their training sessions the day before their games etc), its not about winning stuff, it's developing individuals against certain measures etc.. So we have to go on vibes coming out of the Club and what other people are saying about them further afield and McKenna was always positively talked about and ultimately poached away from us (just as Liverpool have done to a number of our other staff previously).

But McKenna is 7 years older than Mason and started his development as a coach much earlier than Mason, although their first responsible coaching roles managing/developing a team came at exactly the same time when they were 28.

But they have practically mirrored their careers to date.

I think the only difference between them is since McDermott left there has been little fanfare coming out of the academy, no coaches getting highlighted for being good and one to look out for. The good vibes for McKenna all steemed from this era of his career, they absolutely weren't proven when assistants to Mourinho, OGS & Ragnick as these teams have largely been shit.

Mason only picks up bad vibes from our own fans based on absolutely nothing other than they didn't like him as a player (even though he was Poch's number 1 disciple, the first person he entrusted from the academy, the first person whom he publicly said was the first player to get what he wanted (he said this in Australia pre-season) odd fucking bunch, many though think it would be great to have Vertonghen coach at Spurs, but don't see them saying that he has to manage Preston North End first or whoever.

In short, Mason has worked under some of the biggest managers in the game, he's seen them go tits up too. He's played and coached a wide spectrum of styles and is currently picking up new feathers to put in his cap working for Ange who's got even more differences to those that have gone before him. Few aspiring coaches have had this exposure not to mention 13 PL games, a League Cup Final, in fact, that's more experience than McKenna had at the age of 32! McKenna hadn't managed his first professional league game until he was 34.

Last edited:
I would call lower Leagues League 2 and below, League 2 being the first rung of "professional" football. The championship is a big demanding League, there are some highly experienced managers in there and McKenna has certainly shown his worth in it this year but he is an outlier, the majority that try to cut their teeth in that league don't do very well and even more importantly they fail to communicate their philosophy as they end up chasing results rather than developing themselves and their ideas.

McKenna was highly rated when he was with us, just as many others with him at the time like Matt Wells etc. Basicly the group put together by McDermott was highly sought after. (I think it's hard for us on the outside of academy football to truly evaluate a coach's ability as they work with so many different caveats (First team manager taking the academy players as cones in their training sessions the day before their games etc), its not about winning stuff, it's developing individuals against certain measures etc.. So we have to go on vibes coming out of the Club and what other people are saying about them further afield and McKenna was always positively talked about and ultimately poached away from us (just as Liverpool have done to a number of our other staff previously).

But McKenna is 7 years older than Mason and started his development as a coach much earlier than Mason, although their first responsible coaching roles managing/developing a team came at exactly the same time when they were 28.

But they have practically mirrored their careers to date.

I think the only difference between them is since McDermott left there has been little fanfare coming out of the academy, no coaches getting highlighted for being good and one to look out for. The good vibes for McKenna all seemed from this era of his career, they absolutely weren't proven when assistants to Mourinho, OGS & Ragnick as these teams have largely been shit.

Mason only picks up bad vibes from our own fans based on absolutely nothing other than they didn't like him as a player (even though he was Poch's number 1 disciple, the first person he entrusted from the academy, the first person whom he publicly said was the first player to get what he wanted (he said this in Australia pre-season) odd fucking bunch, many though think it would be great to have Vertonghen coach at Spurs, but don't see them saying that he has to manage Preston North End first or whoever.

In short, Mason has worked under some of the biggest managers in the game, he's seen them go tits up too. He's played and coached a wide spectrum of styles and is currently picking up new feathers to put in his cap working for Ange who's got even more differences to those that have gone before him. Few aspiring coaches have had this exposure not to mention 13 PL games, a League Cup Final, in fact, that's more experience than McKenna had at the age of 32! McKenna hadn't managed his first professional league game until he was 34.
I was being literal, as in the Championship, Leagues 1&2 are lower Leagues than the Premier League...
It's not an issue of opinion, it's like insisting that 3 is a bigger number than 5... It just isn't!

Not to say the quality isn't of a high quality, it is, but not as high as the PL...

Funnily enough, the World Cup ®Greatest Football Tournament on Earth™© *citation needed! is arguably a lower level of quality than the Premier League ... So I guess 'lower level' football IS subjective after all!

Back
Top Bottom