Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dt_mSKDW4AAgTQz.jpg

We got locked out one Boxing Day v Notts Forest in the 90,s, mad to think you could turn up without a ticket.
As school boys we found it far better . We could organise a group of us the night before and made sure we got there in reasonable time . Always got in. We never had the money to become members , buy in advance or season tickets.
Far more democratic, not just full of old farts . The atmosphere was generally far superior, sometimes even toxic compared todays souless experience.
Take a FA cup final from 60s to the the late 80s and compare it to todays nerd fuck fest. No comparison .

As school boys we found it far better . We could organise a group of us the night before and made sure we got there in reasonable time . Always got in. We never had the money to become members , buy in advance or season tickets.
Far more democratic, not just full of old farts . The atmosphere was generally far superior, sometimes even toxic compared todays souless experience.
Take a FA cup final from 60s to the the late 80s and compare it to todays nerd fuck fest. No comparison .
Used to sell my school dinner tickets and quite a few of us from school would head down to WHL for the midweek games. £2-£2.50 to get into the east stand back then. Managed to recruit a few Man u and Liverpool school mates back then, once they had tasted real football and found out how easy it was to go.
We were all about 12/13 when we started going on our own.
Don't think I could trust my youngest two to do what I did back then.

Used to sell my school dinner tickets and quite a few of us from school would head down to WHL for the midweek games. £2-£2.50 to get into the east stand back then. Managed to recruit a few Man u and Liverpool school mates back then, once they had tasted real football and found out how easy it was to go.

I used to do northern away games on my own/with mates of a similar age when I just turned 17. No mobiles. Just enough money to get there and back and maybe a bar of chocolate or something to last me all day. Seems like madness in hindsight.

I remember a game a Highbury,possible 90/91?! And it wasn't all ticket,an NLD that wasnt all ticket.Got locked out.Too long in the pub and playing silly buggers.I think the numbers that got locked out was a bigger crowd than Wimbledon were getting at that time.Got locked out at Loftus Road round about that time as well,similar reasons .

Truth is back then there were nonce's all over the shop, mainly plastic mac weirdo's but nowadays they are all off the streets sat online.

I think it's much safer nowadays the only difference is probably everyone is in it for themselves. Like you I was going on my own at about 11 or 12, loads of times I was pushed down to the front by other adults as my view was blocked. I was guided home from Wembley in 81 & 82 (way out of my depth travelling there on my own). Nowadays you see adults nicking shirts off kids at games. Back to the nonces, maybe everyone dares not speak to a kid nowadays for fear of being accused of being one???

Last edited:
Back to the nonces, maybe everyone dares not speak to a kid nowadays for fear of being accused of being one???
Mate I worry about that when talking to my own kids let alone anyone else’s. Such is the stigma against men around young kids, you always get looks - be it the “are you a danger” or the “aww look a dad actually spending time with his daughters” sexist patronising bullshit.

Probably need to do better at ignoring it.

Mate I worry about that when talking to my own kids let alone anyone else’s. Such is the stigma against men around young kids, you always get looks - be it the “are you a danger” or the “aww look a dad actually spending time with his daughters” sexist patronising bullshit.

Probably need to do better at ignoring it.
Yeah, always difficult balance, never had too much of an issue when I was with mine (they are grown up now) but always very conscious when I saw a kid that I thought might have needed help or looking after when I wasn't with my kids. Always felt I had to work our how I could do so without scaring the shit out of the kid and or another adult, strange times.

Another lone teenage traveller to away games here. Mates didn’t have the dedication. Or maybe it was the thought of spending all day and most of the night with me! My heyday was late 80’s /early 90’s.

A couple of things.

Is it me or does anyone else think that’s Woolwich coat the geezer is sporting in the ‘locked out at Tottenham’ photo?

The last free for all pay on the day NLD I went to was Jan 1990 at Highbury. Paid £2.50 to get in. Heard the gates lock behind us. One of my mates was slung out by OB for sticking two fingers up at the Gooner fans. This when we were singing 2-1, 2-1 at them after we had beaten them earlier in the season at WHL. The teams hadn’t even come out onto the pitch! We had the whole Clock End and Tony Adams got roundly roundly abused for 90 minutes - someone even slung a bunch of carrots at him...eeeaww

I remember a game a Highbury,possible 90/91?! And it wasn't all ticket,an NLD that wasnt all ticket.Got locked out.Too long in the pub and playing silly buggers.I think the numbers that got locked out was a bigger crowd than Wimbledon were getting at that time.Got locked out at Loftus Road round about that time as well,similar reasons .

Remember early ninetys midweek against West Ham, they were on the way to getting relegated. For some insane reason it wasn’t all ticket. We were in the East Lower standing, just before kick off the chant of Billy Bonds claret n blue army went up along the wall in the East Lower
opposite the Park Lane.
It went off big time, all you could see was boots n fists flying, it was mayhem!
Think we won 3 1, great night!

[QUOTE="Henry Hotspur,

Is it me or does anyone else think that’s Woolwich coat the geezer is sporting in the ‘locked out at Tottenham’ photo?

.... [/QUOTE]

definitely

Back
Top Bottom