Remembering Ian Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keller was a poor keeper. His “come on guys” attitude was so irritating and all that USA guff too. Same thing applies though as with any player, he was not picking himself. So the question marks are over those who scouted, picked and purchased. Keller was really unspectacular at Leicester ( although I don’t think we got him straight from them ) so how he ended up in our goal I will never know. Probably all the board were willing to afford.

To be fair, I don't remember him being that bad, but bear in mind, this was from a spectrum of Walker then Sullivan, he wasn't game changing or anyone I'd make a big deal about but he was ok, he was then suceeded by Paul Robinson, who again I'd say was an incremental step up, but he has known issues too, crosses and hesitancy catching him out some time.

It's quite hard with keepers because they are very prone to changes in form, I'd say Friedel was a decent all rounder, Gomes started very well for us, he's still a great shot stopper, but let down by crossing and letting in some easy goals too. That said his throw outs could be tremendous in terms of accuracy and distance, it was a handy trick.

Hugo was a step change improvement and though he still has his moments you can see that he had a serious impact, I think we will need to upgrade on Hugo in the next season or two, possibly with Gazzaniga but it is way too early to call that right now, but I am growing in confidence with him.

With Gazzaniga I had some doubts when he played against Palace, he got a clean sheet but I remember he could have given a penalty away on the first corner, had that of been given we may not have warmed to him so quickly. But against Chelsea in the League Cup game I thought he did really well barring a few minor distributions hiccups.

My abiding memory of Walker is him laughing whenever we conceded a really bad goal......exactly the sort of reaction fans want to see
I can only ( genuinely) recall his reaction to that Liverpool goal being a smirk, frankly given what happened it was laughable.

Back then. Most of what our team did was laughable.

Mimms, Kasey Keler, Ben Alnwick, Frode Grodas, late period Gomes arguably...

1414103327692_wps_105_Football_Tottenham_Hotspu.jpg
"Near Post" Neil Sullivan should be on that inglorious list

In many ways he was similar to Robinson - started off showing huge promise and rapidly decline thereafter.

This is some of the reason why I resented England for so long, Robbo was top shelf until he made those mistakes for England and Walker was beaten at near post just when he was looking good too, it killed them both

A divot i think but his reaction wasn't the best. Yes the boo boys were out in force in those days. Chris Armstrong, Chris Perry and Ramon Vega came in for it sadly. Something i have never understood is what people think it will achieve in the ground. I can recall fans fighting amongst themselves in the shelf over it. Horrible as you say CSWY.
funny thing was, the dippers scored an almost identical goal a couple of weeks earlier (past Tim Flowers)

only the scouse cunts...

At that point in history Walker was as average as the rest of the team, but I honestly believe he was hated more than anyone for having that stupid fucking smile on his face after letting in a howler.

I thought he'd died too!! Jesus...

He may have been an average player, but at least he was one of OUR average players!

Still remember the one handed catch on his debut away at Forest...

Those of us lucky enough to be in the away end that night all thought we were witnessing the next Pat Jennings...

How HOW wrong we were!!

This has to be the most opinion dividing thread in the history of TFC surely.

The Brexit thread?

I started supporting Spurs in 1990, so as shit as we were throughout that decade I have pretty vivid memories of our players. Never liked Austin, Dozzell, Fox, and a few others, but had a soft spot for Ruddock, Samways (towards the end), Caulderwood (for some reason), and obviously Nayim. Loved Barmby, Teddy, Jurgen, Sicknote, and Ginola.

Never liked Walker. His laughing after conceding didn’t really bother me. It was more his general lack of ability.

I remember a story about Sheffield Wednesday, where one of their players accidentally and spectacularly scored an own goal. He went over to Chris Woods and said ‘pick that one out’ and the pair both broke out in laughter. I’m sure the fans were pissed off, but with context it’s quite amusing.

Gomes pretending to be injured every time he fucked up was far more annoying. Fucking eunuch.

Remember him smiling when he let a howler in against Liverpool. The PA played 'we gotta get outta this place' at the end of the game.

It was an ironic smile, what else could he have done. He was bye and large a good keeper and should be remembered as such

Back
Top Bottom