Remembering Ian Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

l was once ( only once in the players bar after a Euro game , guest of Chris Perry) .
Walkers father was waiting for him who l think had been Everton manager or was .
When he arrived he had the charisma of a dead parrot. Lacked any social cohesion .
Chris was a wonderful bloke and Ginola held court like a Recency dandy , polite , warm and engaging. Drinks were free.

The only thing we were likely to win in those days was Family Fortunes

Far worse Tottenham keepers, Far, far worse Tottenham men

I don't disagree with the second point, but we've actually had some not bad keepers in my time: Parks, Clemence, Erik the Viking, Robbo, Gomes, Lloris, Friedle, Vorm....

Yes, there's always Booby Mimms, but otherwise some good players there. All (except Clem and Erik) had the odd brain fart moment, but not bad players imo.

Was that the bobble? More of the groundsman’s fault perhaps... and I remember a pretty hideous reaction from a lot of our fans. Horrible atmosphere at times back then.
A divot i think but his reaction wasn't the best. Yes the boo boys were out in force in those days. Chris Armstrong, Chris Perry and Ramon Vega came in for it sadly. Something i have never understood is what people think it will achieve in the ground. I can recall fans fighting amongst themselves in the shelf over it. Horrible as you say CSWY.

I genuinely can't think of a worse keeper, let alone far worse

Bobby Mimms?
Mimms, Kasey Keler, Ben Alnwick, Frode Grodas, late period Gomes arguably...

1414103327692_wps_105_Football_Tottenham_Hotspu.jpg

Thing is here Bill

You can name all number of keepers that got the odd game as the Tottenham number 1

But recognised Spurs Keepers I can't think of a worse one in my time

Gomes the worst for me

Good shot stopper but I used to shudder every time he had the ball in his hands
Distribution was awful

First time I saw Walker play he has in goal for Oxford @ Wet Spam ( don’t ask ) in a cup match. Last time I saw him in goal for us was against Waste Ham about ten years later. Funny how things like that happen.

Those ten years in between debut and leaving Spurs were mostly utter tripe really with pockets of good things, but I honestly don’t have the same anti Walker feeling as the author does. And I don’t know what the point in having a go at the guy out of nowhere is achieving.

He was not superb, but those around him were pretty inept and you honestly could have had Shilton and Clemence in goal together and continued to ship goals when you had the likes of Calderwood or Vega defending. And frankly Keller was diabolical and Sullivan’s second season you would be forgiven for thinking he was pissed the amount he fucked up.

If anyone needs digging out 20 years later in regards being shit at Spurs it’s Alan Sugar. And only Alan Sugar. The “saviour” who created mediocrity from glory. Walker never picked himself. Many coaches picked him and one chairman never paid to replace him. So I can’t see what having a go at the guy achieves now, target that fucking waster who works with Karen Brady on a shit TV show.

We have had genuine wage thieves over the years at Spurs and never has Walker been in that bracket as far as I am concerned. And I was at the Liverpool game, and that England match against Italy too, yes it was Zola ( Chelsea cunt ) and I don’t have a seconds anger towards Walker for either incident. Sugar I think i’ll detest forever.

Ever want to know how badly Sugar got it at Spurs ? He employed George Graham.

Barry Daines also pulled off some decent saves let us not forget. He was Pat's understudy in the early days along with Ken Hancock so had little chance to shine but i think once we let PJ go to the nomads he did ok for us. Yes he made howlers but as others have mentioned so did Erik and Ray Clemence so I would rather remember his vital saves that got us promotion in 78. Imagine if we'd have stayed in the 2nd division, no Ossie and Ricky......

Keller played every minute in both the 2002-03 and the 2003-04 seasons, a total of 85 games, thats pretty recognised
Keller was a poor keeper. His “come on guys” attitude was so irritating and all that USA guff too. Same thing applies though as with any player, he was not picking himself. So the question marks are over those who scouted, picked and purchased. Keller was really unspectacular at Leicester ( although I don’t think we got him straight from them ) so how he ended up in our goal I will never know. Probably all the board were willing to afford.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom