Refs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The amount of yardage being stolen with every dead ball/throw these days drives me fucking mental.

Not dropping 10 yards (or shuffling fwd again once the ref steps away) should be a straight yellow. No warning.

In fact fuck ALL this warning shit (i.e. at corners etc.)... You're just giving players license to get away with it once or twice.

Rather than piss around tweaking the rulebook every summer, how about a game-wide commitment to actually officiating the game to the letter of the law?

The amount of yardage being stolen with every dead ball/throw these days drives me fucking mental.

Not dropping 10 yards (or shuffling fwd again once the ref steps away) should be a straight yellow. No warning.

In fact fuck ALL this warning shit (i.e. at corners etc.)... You're just giving players license to get away with it once or twice.

Rather than piss around tweaking the rulebook every summer, how about a game-wide commitment to actually officiating the game to the letter of the law?
That one in the south-west corner in the second half, where the ball went out literally right next to the corner flag, and their guy ended up taking the throw-in from level with the edge of the penalty box... utterly ridiculous.

When a player attempts to steal yardage with a throw in, or uses it as an opportunity to waste time, the throw should be given to the other side. That would soon stop it.

The more football I watch, the more I'm convinced the majority of match officials are being paid to influence games. This includes the plebs in the studio watching replays.

IMO, those VAR assistants should be completely un-associated with the match officials. A different group running them, a different group of individuals who will not ever be a match day official.
I would be happy with retired refs who are now too old to officiate games. They need to be regularly tested to stay up to speed with rules. They also need to be regulated. IE, they need to audited to check they are consistently making the right decisions or else they're out of a job. There is NO reason for a VAR decision to be wrong, ever. They have replays FFS. If it's wrong they should be dropped into lower profile matches as a wrist slap.

The ref against Bournemouth was useless. Towards the end, Aurrier makes a clean tackle dinking the ball out for either a throw of a corner, ref gives them a free kick. The game gets niggly towards the end and the ref has totally lost control and it ends in a mass brawl. Just dismal.

The ref against Bournemouth was useless. Towards the end, Aurrier makes a clean tackle dinking the ball out for either a throw of a corner, ref gives them a free kick. The game gets niggly towards the end and the ref has totally lost control and it ends in a mass brawl. Just dismal.

Couldn't agree more. A poor ref amongst a bad bunch.

ELB4ChkWoAIRmSl

This is really lame, my applogies but VAR stands for what? Verifying Anfield Rules? Verified Anfield Refs?
Varying Added Rules? I'm sure there are better one's than that.

The more football I watch, the more I'm convinced the majority of match officials are being paid to influence games. This includes the plebs in the studio watching replays.

IMO, those VAR assistants should be completely un-associated with the match officials. A different group running them, a different group of individuals who will not ever be a match day official.
I would be happy with retired refs who are now too old to officiate games. They need to be regularly tested to stay up to speed with rules. They also need to be regulated. IE, they need to audited to check they are consistently making the right decisions or else they're out of a job. There is NO reason for a VAR decision to be wrong, ever. They have replays FFS. If it's wrong they should be dropped into lower profile matches as a wrist slap.

The refs in this league have been corrupt for years (see Fergie time) the problem is, the second you say it you're labelled a conspiracy theorist.

VAR has proven beyond a doubt they are corrupt, I don't think a single decision has been overturned by VAR when a ref has already made the call, what does that tell you?

Should be like Rugby

There's no reason for us not to already have referees like Nigel in football. They just need to show some balls.

Tell the players before the match I'm not standing for any chat back or dissent. Book players who dissent. Keep doing that consistently. They'll soon learn.

Referees would also get a lot more respect if the FA didn't pretend they were infallible. Admitting to mistakes would be a good start.

I'd respect refs a lot more if like players they interviewed the ref after the game so they could explain their decisions
They'd get a lot less stick if they actually explained their Point of view and how they made the decision rather than us hearing those explanations from tv pundits or ex-refs

Back
Top Bottom