Refs so inconsistent

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t believe there is a referees witch hunt against spurs however I do believe the standard of refereeing in this country has got very poor.

Absolutely no consistency with calls. They will book someone for a dive and then later in the game just wave play on and tell a player to get up rather than booking him.

Taylor on Saturday ignored a blatant high foot by a gooner and then gave one against sissoko literally 30 seconds later.

There is also no place for egotistical, celebrity referees. As soon as they become part of the show, it’s time to drop them. From Mike Dean celebrating goals where he’s allowed the advantage to clattenburg getting tattoos of the finals he reffed. If they want to be the star then it’s time for them to go.

I’ve always believed referees should ref every game as if they’ve never heard of either team and don’t know any of the 22 players. Clattenburg once told Adam Lallana he had changed since he left Southampton after booking him in a game for Liverpool. Referees shouldn’t be having those opinions, they have begun to base their decisions on their own personal feelings.

It's not dwelling on it, to raise it as a serious issue. Townsend just commented on a foul from behind by Kante in the fulham game " for me, that's a yellow card, breaks up the flow, allows Chelsea to all get behind the ball" Kante fouls at least 5 times each game , from behind, when teams break, hardly ever receives a yellow card? Why do you really think a controlled man like Poch finally snapped at the refs we have had?

We foul like that all the time, opposing fans are always complaining when Dele, Dier, Lamela etc make tactical fouls high up the pitch. We are no angels, we dive, foul and cheat just like everyone else.

Poch snapped at the ref in the Burnley game because he thought we would win and then watched the players shit the bed in the most pathetic way possible.

We foul like that all the time, opposing fans are always complaining when Dele, Dier, Lamela etc make tactical fouls high up the pitch. We are no angels, we dive, foul and cheat just like everyone else.

Poch snapped at the ref in the Burnley game because he thought we would win and then watched the players shit the bed in the most pathetic way possible.
Two different opinions.

I certainly have not mentioned bribes. I think it is past time to make refs account for various calls, post game interviews for one would help.

My problem with refs isn't when they get decisions wrong, it's when they guess and get it wrong.

For example if a foul is made right on the edge of the box and the ref isn't sure if it's inside or outside the box he simply cannot give a penalty only for replays to show it should have been a free kick. Likewise with a corner if you aren't sure you give a goal kick. Personally I think this is completely unacceptable from a professional standpoint and needs to get stamped out of the game. Too many refereeing decisions change the fabric of the game and whenever the ref is in doubt he should always go with the outcome that brings the least risk with it should he have got it wrong.

All over ther things are on a human level, they make mistakes but they need to be more conscious of the ramifications their guess work comes with. Personally I think referees get a rough ride but they really don't help themselves with some of the decisions they make. If someone commits 2 yellow card offences in the opening 10 minutes the outcome should be exactly the same as it would if the same player committed those offences across 90 minutes. Refs allow themselves to get manipulated by the circumstances far too frequently which adds overwhelming consistency on so many levels. That can happen but what I do find unacceptable is the guess work being given to the attacking teams advantage. I don't think it's on and they leave themselves with a bigger target on their backs than necessary

Absolute shit reffing yesterday. It was like the FA were punishing us for poch kicking off last game.
When I began this thread, with out being Mr Spurs, it seems Tottenham have suffered some awful reffing for a few seasons, coincides with us becoming a top 4 team? Pushing Chelsea, Woolwich out? How did Spurs get fined more then Woolwich for the emirates dust up? Since Woolwich have twice had fans throwing stuff onto the field at teams? Luiz kicking out at Kane? Not even a mention? I think Poch has been incredible to have been as restrained for 3 seasons.

It's not dwelling on it, to raise it as a serious issue. Townsend just commented on a foul from behind by Kante in the fulham game " for me, that's a yellow card, breaks up the flow, allows Chelsea to all get behind the ball" Kante fouls at least 5 times each game , from behind, when teams break, hardly ever receives a yellow card? Why do you really think a controlled man like Poch finally snapped at the refs we have had?
Totally agree everyone goes on about kante being brilliant but he's really a glorified fouler who doesn't get booked

This is spot-on IMO

I'd add are having a pop at the ref shouldn't be confused with fans at the stadium doing it. It is our job to harangue the ref as much as possible, intimidate them and make their life difficult and pressurised. It doesn't matter if he got the call right, give the officials as much stick as you can, it's our involvement, our only time to pitch in and help the team, feel connected to events. If it comes off one of our players for a throw, scream that it came off the oppo, if our player flops to the ground in the penalty area scream for a pen.

When I began this thread, with out being Mr Spurs, it seems Tottenham have suffered some awful reffing for a few seasons, coincides with us becoming a top 4 team? Pushing Chelsea, Woolwich out? How did Spurs get fined more then Woolwich for the emirates dust up? Since Woolwich have twice had fans throwing stuff onto the field at teams? Luiz kicking out at Kane? Not even a mention? I think Poch has been incredible to have been as restrained for 3 seasons.
They just don't like us. Honestly can't remember the last game where we got the rub of the green all game. You'd like to think that reffing decisions are meant to even themselves out during a game eh.

Back
Top Bottom