Refs so inconsistent

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing Mr Taylor emerge from the tunnel today v Woolwich, filled me with dread, it should not really, but , he could have been Mike Dean, Michael Oliver, etc. They are just all so very poor, and Mr Taylor lived up to my paranoid fear, the tackle from behind by Xhzaca, not given? Not mentioned by pundits even? The penalty guesswork in the 90th minute of such an important fixture? Really? Why even put yourself under scrutiny like that? Loris saves, but for too damned long refs have been giving at least 6 points per season to certain teams ( Woolwich v Burnley home & away for instance) or the soft penalty award to Man City against West Ham midweek? ( same ref today refused twice to award certain penalties to Southampton v Man U) Michael Olivers refusal to give Son a penalty, and the booking him for diving? My point is over 4 seasons we seem to have suffered some crap refs, resulting in our campaigns being affected. Mike Dean v Woolwich allowed the first 20 minutes to be a kick fest from the Woolwich back 4, any other game his card is out within 5 minutes. This goes back to the WBA guy manhandling Deli, when we had a real tilt at the title, and lost Deli for the last 4 games when he finally snapped, after waiting over 60 minutes for the incompetent ref to step in and protect him, Eric Dier being brought to task by the FA for doing the SSssshhhh sign after scoring v Woolwich? Every damn player in the leagues been doing that for years? Even v Burnley, the pundits getting holy over Danny Rose taking a throw on from 3 feet past where the ball left the field, but buggar all about Beardsley getting a yellow instead of a red from Dean? Over all the poor reffing in my opinion has caught up with Spurs, we could have been 1 point in front of Woolwich today had Lloris not cancelled Taylor's guesswork.

Seeing Mr Taylor emerge from the tunnel today v Woolwich, filled me with dread, it should not really, but , he could have been Mike Dean, Michael Oliver, etc. They are just all so very poor, and Mr Taylor lived up to my paranoid fear, the tackle from behind by Xhzaca, not given? Not mentioned by pundits even? The penalty guesswork in the 90th minute of such an important fixture? Really? Why even put yourself under scrutiny like that? Loris saves, but for too damned long refs have been giving at least 6 points per season to certain teams ( Woolwich v Burnley home & away for instance) or the soft penalty award to Man City against West Ham midweek? ( same ref today refused twice to award certain penalties to Southampton v Man U) Michael Olivers refusal to give Son a penalty, and the booking him for diving? My point is over 4 seasons we seem to have suffered some crap refs, resulting in our campaigns being affected. Mike Dean v Woolwich allowed the first 20 minutes to be a kick fest from the Woolwich back 4, any other game his card is out within 5 minutes. This goes back to the WBA guy manhandling Deli, when we had a real tilt at the title, and lost Deli for the last 4 games when he finally snapped, after waiting over 60 minutes for the incompetent ref to step in and protect him, Eric Dier being brought to task by the FA for doing the SSssshhhh sign after scoring v Woolwich? Every damn player in the leagues been doing that for years? Even v Burnley, the pundits getting holy over Danny Rose taking a throw on from 3 feet past where the ball left the field, but buggar all about Beardsley getting a yellow instead of a red from Dean? Over all the poor reffing in my opinion has caught up with Spurs, we could have been 1 point in front of Woolwich today had Lloris not cancelled Taylor's guesswork.

It feels like it is exclusive to us (and to a certain degree I do believe we get a really shit deal from the refs overall compared to other clubs in this league) but the truth is, the real reason this happens is because the quality of the officials in this league is so low, they are incompetent buffoons basically.

The entire league in terms of officials, not just refs but linesman also, needs a complete shakeup.

I believe that refs should be no older than 40 for a start so they can actually keep up with the game.

Secondly, I think that there should be a wider array of officials to choose from, rather than the same ones that get the “big games” because they are considered better.

I also think the criteria for becoming a referee should be harder than it currently is, they should be well versed in all aspects of the game and I also think that they should be forced to do an interview after every match, just like managers are, to explain their decisions and apologise for mistakes, the biggest issue is, they are never held accountable and never have to apologise for shit decisions.

Finally, and I know some people will disagree with this but I think we need to start having female referees, I think it would stop players getting in the refs face and I also think they could possibly be better at the job, that’s a subjective opinion of course but I know from experience that my Mrs is better at finding things and spotting things than I am, they have hawk eyes on them lol.

100% agree that refs should do interviews after games. It is obvious refs apply the laws in an inconsistent way game to game, Atwells refusal to award a penalty to Southampton today, twice, yet awards a softer one to City midweek? Phil Jones allowed to spend 90 minutes strongarming, tackles from behind against Kane, eventually putting Kane out injured 5 weeks ( Mike Dean) but sent Jan off v Woolwich??

I think we just magnify them because they happen against us.

Most teams fans will tell you they get no luck from officials.

To a degree Totti that should be true, but we have had some shocking refs, the no calls, even fouls in midfield, add up, break up our play, injure players. Teams of pro footballers sense when a ref is allowing stuff, ie Phil Jones putting Kane out for 5 weeks. Luis knew it midweek, and pushed the limits, why do you think Son and Erickson have been off last few games, no protection from poor refs.

To a degree Totti that should be true, but we have had some shocking refs, the no calls, even fouls in midfield, add up, break up our play, injure players. Teams of pro footballers sense when a ref is allowing stuff, ie Phil Jones putting Kane out for 5 weeks. Luis knew it midweek, and pushed the limits, why do you think Son and Erickson have been off last few games, no protection from poor refs.

Just look at any other fans forum after playing us - it's US who get all the luck and help from the officials most of the time etc.

We're the media darlings according to almost every opposing fan.

I really hope with all the stats, and available 24hr footage of football some company does a review of this season as if we had VAR in place.....would be interesting just to see if it really would shape the final league table any different.....

I really hope with all the stats, and available 24hr footage of football some company does a review of this season as if we had VAR in place.....would be interesting just to see if it really would shape the final league table any different.....
Would be impossible to tell anything meaningful though. You don't know if penalties given would be scored or how goals ruled out would change the game etc.

as said above the pool of refs needs to be bigger, next season we need the VAR refs + match ref + 4 official,
the top 2 leagues need to have fulltime paid refs (with rolling contact for 3 yrs that way you could give up a good job and go full time)
Ref's that do the local amateur/pro leagues used to get £35 + expenses (but they arrange it that ref and linesman come from same direction so only 1 set of expenses paid) yet the players are getting £100+ boot money, mate did it for a few years, but said he was out from 12 to 7 most Saturdays for £35, he could get £20 from 1 game in local park

For every bad decision we’ve had against us we’ve had one go our way. I hate that cliche ‘these things even themselves out’ but I genuinely think they do.

VAR helps, but needs to be refined a tad more

VAR helps, but needs to be refined a tad more
Cant wait.....I felt sick at the thought of VAR. I just pictured the death of football, long pauses and no passion.

However, thats preferable to football killing itself through incompetence or corruption.
Xhaka would have seen red yesterday, and Spurs would have won 4-0...Burnley wouldnt have gone one nil up either. Talking potentially 6pts just there.

Cant wait.....I felt sick at the thought of VAR. I just pictured the death of football, long pauses and no passion.

However, thats preferable to football killing itself through incompetence or corruption.
Xhaka would have seen red yesterday, and Spurs would have won 4-0...Burnley wouldnt have gone one nil up either. Talking potentially 6pts just there.

Same here, thought I’d hate it but it’s pretty inoffensive, even offers a bit more entertainment

That's really the point I was making, I do not think they even themselves out, some teams suffer, for my money, Spurs have been on the wrong end now for years( clattenburg) I do feel that teams like Liverpool, City, United, get a different mood from refs. Salah & Hazard clearly look for contact, why are refs not savvy to that? Yet book Son for diving? ( then allow Chelsea to kick thru Son for 60 mins?) 1st penalty award to Spurs yesterday all season at Wembley? Then he guessed for Arsenals 90th min pen, that's them 1 point behind us if not for the save.

Everybody thinks they get treated badly by referees. It's the nature of football.

Yesterday the ref was shite but the only goal we scored came from an offside that was missed. Sometimes their mistakes are in your favour and sometimes not, no point dwelling on it as we cannot control the referee. We can only control what we do on the pitch.

The ref's, on the whole, get almost all their decisions right, statistically 98% to be precise!!

Taylors performance yesterday is a classic example of the bleeting and moaning that goes on in and around the game is utterly ridiculous, why listen to the gooners going on about Kane's goal being offside, the is then magnified by the media and social media, it's then analysed to death BUT amazingly through all this it turns out that he got the decision SPOT-ON! What I do find absolutely amazing is that I've yet to see anything, including Spurs fans applaud him for getting it right!

Now, for me, it wasn't the decisions that got on my tits yesterday, buy that I'm not specifically referring to Kane's offside or not, Sanchez foul was it or wasn't it (it clearly wasn't). My issue is with the control of the game he had, this control is executed via being consistent. In the first half Taylor laid out his stool and it was clear from very early on he was intent on letting the game flow, there were many fouls committed by both sides that went unpunished, now each to their own but I'm in favour of this over a stop-start game. But by the time we got into the 2nd half we saw a number of bookings for fouls committed that were questionable whether they were even a foul or not. This makes things very difficult for the players to know how they can play, especially those who might be already on a caution, this has a big influence in the manor of the game, it's tempo and intensity. This was Taylors problem yesterday not the was it wasn't moments that get obsessed about.

It's why I make Poch's comments at the end of the game even more pertinent (about the Xhaka foul on Kane).

So the thread title is the point, it's consistency that is important. If a ref feels he needs to blow-up for every foul then fine, set your stall out and do that consistently throughout the game, don't chop and change this "attitude" during a game.

Last edited:
Everybody thinks they get treated badly by referees. It's the nature of football.

Yesterday the ref was shite but the only goal we scored came from an offside that was missed. Sometimes their mistakes are in your favour and sometimes not, no point dwelling on it as we cannot control the referee. We can only control what we do on the pitch.
It's not dwelling on it, to raise it as a serious issue. Townsend just commented on a foul from behind by Kante in the fulham game " for me, that's a yellow card, breaks up the flow, allows Chelsea to all get behind the ball" Kante fouls at least 5 times each game , from behind, when teams break, hardly ever receives a yellow card? Why do you really think a controlled man like Poch finally snapped at the refs we have had?

The ref's, on the whole, get almost all their decisions right, statistically 98% to be precise!!

Taylors performance yesterday is a classic example of the bleeting and moaning that goes on in and around the game is utterly ridiculous, why listen to the gooners going on about Kane's goal being offside, the is then magnified by the media and social media, it's then analysed to death BUT amazingly through all this it turns out that he got the decision SPOT-ON! What I do find absolutely amazing is that I've yet to see anything, including Spurs fans applaud him for getting it right!

Now, for me, it wasn't the decisions that got on my tits yesterday, but that I'm specifically referring to Kane's offside or not, Sanchez foul was it or wasn't it (it clearly wasn't). My issue is with the control of the game he had, this control is executed via being consistent. In the first half Taylor laid out his stool and it was clear from very early on he was intent on letting the game flow, there were many fouls committed by both sides that went unpunished, now each to their own but I'm in favour of this over a stop-start game. But by the time we got into the 2nd half we saw a number of bookings for fouls committed that were questionable whether they were even a foul or not. This makes things very difficult for the players to know how they can play, especially those who might be already on a caution, this has a big influence in the manor of the game, it's tempo and intensity. This was Taylors problem yesterday not the was it wasn't moments that get obsessed about.

It's why I make Poch's comments at the end of the game even more pertinent (about the Xhaka foul on Kane).

So the thread title is the point, it's consistency that is important. If a ref feels he needs to blow-up for every foul then fine, set your stall out and do that consistently throughout the game, don't chop and change this "attitude" during a game.
I agree, players test refs, if they get away with coming in from behind, no yellow issued, they keep it going as far as possible, be consistent, at least talk to Phil Jones in the ManU game Mike Dean, or the Chelsea captain assaulting Kane with sheer intent, and Kevin Friend does not so much as talk to the guy?

Back
Top Bottom