Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could be another whole "team" moving:

2019-2020
Vorm
AurierAlderweireld?CCVRose?
N'KoudouWanyamaLamelaOnomah
JanssenEriksen?

Since Poch took over in 2014:

2014-2015
Gomes
NaughtonDawsonFryersBAE
SandroLivermoreSigurdsson
2015-2016
Friedel
FredericksKaboulChiriches
CapoueStambouliPaulinhoHoltby
Lennon/TownsendSoldadoAdebayor
2016-2019
Lopez
Walker/YedlinFazioWimmer
MasonPritchardCarrollBentaleb
N'JieChadliDembele

GK
Lloris
Gazza

DF
Trippier (HG)
Toby
Vertonghen
Sanchez
Foyth
Rose (HG)

DM
Winks (HG)
Sissoko

AM
Son
Dele (HG)
Eriksen
Moura
Lucas

ST
Kane (HG)
Llorente

For me, this is what i will keep. Maybe Davies too. but i really want us to have explosion on the wings. Dier if Poch think he could straighten him up. But on recent outings, he is one of the first to go.
Llorente i feel has done the job, we dont need another striker with Lucas and Son doing so well there. Dont mind Lamela, but if we want to improve, we need room.

Also for the incoming i would like (by recent rumours), i would welcome Grealish but i really dont love what i see from Sessegnon. yes he is fast and super young to be judged. But i dont like what he offered.

Would like Maddison too. It looks like he is befriended a lot of our Englishman.

With a new explosive FB and dominant CM, i think our defending will be solid again.

We have too many things to change this summer to suggest axing such players as Dier, Llorente and Davies (names that I've notice going through here). But I will present my view - and I would like to divide the players I would move on into categories, let's face it, moving on Janssen is nowhere near same magnitude dealing then moving on ... say even Trippier.

I would move on -
players who have had very little to no playing time of late - Vorm, Janssen, N'Koudou, Onomah
players who have became untrustworthy for longer period of time - Wanyama, Lamela
players who we could sell and replace with better quality - Trippier, Aurier
players who I would never let go, but it just seems we have no choice - Toby, Eriksen

Yea, I get it - it would be selling 6 players with significant playing time...it is most likely too much even as it stands now. Could not press Dier, Davies and Llorente in by any strech of imagination.

But if such changes do occur, we would need AT LEAST 1 new RB, 2 new CM, 1 new AM

That would leave us with -
GK: Lloris, Gazzaniga
RB: NewRB; KWP (Foyth as cover)
LB: Rose, Davies
CB: Jan, Sanchez, Foyth (Davies, Dier as cover)
CM: NewCM1, NewCM2, Sissoko, Winks, Dier (Skipp as cover)
AM: NewAM; Alli, Son, Moura
ST: Kane, Llorente (Son as cover)

But that would be only 21 players... so most likely we have to either sell less or sell the same amount and buy more. This seems like too much change for 1 window. On the plus side, if we would move on the players mentioned, we could coup like 200 mil from the sales. Put in some extra cash for "restructuring funds" and we could afford 3 of 60 mil players and 2 of 40 mil players. If we want to have any chance to come close replicating our CL heroics or want to even think about challenging for EPL title, change of such magnitude is inevitable.

It would make everything so much easier if Eriksen would sign new contract. Then we could sell 5 and buy 5 and hopefully be more competitive like this...

Everyone seems to have forgotten the great big hole left by Moussa Dembele.

We have to buy a midfield player to fill that hole.

Plus another two midfield gives us three acquisitions.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the great big hole left by Moussa Dembele.

We have to buy a midfield player to fill that hole.

Plus another two midfield gives us three acquisitions.

Well... saying "everyone" is painting with a bit of wide brush, ain't it :D ?
Ofc he left a hole, but at the same time, Sissoko has stepped up and Winksy established himself bit more. So as I pointed out, I personally would be rahter happy with 2 additional CM's (preferably one being in Gueye mould eg dynamic defensive CM, other being rahter playmaker kinda guy who would dictate tempo from there) + Sissoko, Winks and Dier.

Well... saying "everyone" is painting with a bit of wide brush, ain't it :D ?
Ofc he left a hole, but at the same time, Sissoko has stepped up and Winksy established himself bit more. So as I pointed out, I personally would be rahter happy with 2 additional CM's (preferably one being in Gueye mould eg dynamic defensive CM, other being rahter playmaker kinda guy who would dictate tempo from there) + Sissoko, Winks and Dier.

Ok, most!

We have to fill Dembele's spot just to stand still in terms of numbers. Plus we need two more midfield (and possibly a third), if Eriksen and Wanyama go. That's 3 or possibly 4 additional midfielders. I hope our scouts are doing their job.

For me it's Tielemans, Sessegnon, Gotze and Mitrovic (as Kane backup)

It shows what a mammoth task this summer is and what a waste last summer was.

These are the players I would move on, not because they aren't decent, but because I don't believe they are, or ever will be top four players. There are also a few others that come close. This list may sound harsh, but can anyone honestly see City or Pool being interested in them. Of course, I can't honestly see Spurs buying 6 players that are better than them during the summer.

Tripps
Davis
Winks
Skipp
Llorente
Janssen

Ok, most!

We have to fill Dembele's spot just to stand still in terms of numbers. Plus we need two more midfield (and possibly a third), if Eriksen and Wanyama go. That's 3 or possibly 4 additional midfielders. I hope our scouts are doing their job.

Gotze? The lad is no longer the player who scored the winner in the world cup final. He has some kindnof rare condition which means no matter how much he trains he is prone to weight gain and unexplained fatigue. This on top of his many muscle injuries mean he is a massive risk

Gotze? The lad is no longer the player who scored the winner in the world cup final. He has some kindnof rare condition which means no matter how much he trains he is prone to weight gain and unexplained fatigue. This on top of his many muscle injuries mean he is a massive risk

Maybe we can pick him up cheap? He looked pretty good against us in the CL.

These are the players I would move on, not because they aren't decent, but because I don't believe they are, or ever will be top four players. There are also a few others that come close. This list may sound harsh, but can anyone honestly see City or Pool being interested in them. Of course, I can't honestly see Spurs buying 6 players that are better than them during the summer.

Tripps
Davis
Winks
Skipp
Llorente
Janssen

That's a hell of a list! Winks and Skipp? Winks has been one of our most consistent players and Skipp is 18.

On top of this list you need to factor in those that will or probably will move:

Vorm
Alderweireld
Eriksen
N'Koudou
Wanyama

It's starting to look like a squad cull! No squad can survive this amount of ins and outs.

Maximum of 5.

Last edited:

Tripps
Davis
Winks
Skipp
Llorente
Janssen
I don’t get how Winks makes this list - and they are all ‘top four players’ even Jansen.

Tripps
Davis
Winks
Skipp

Llorente
Janssen
Strongly disagree with Davies Winks and Skipp.

Winks is a proven midfielder who was superb against Real. He will get better and better with fitness. Always looking for the forward pass, keen to move the ball quickly, very rarely gets caught in possession. And home grown, one of our own.

Skipp? Well apart from the fact that he's only 18 so very little value yet, even at this age he's well ahead of where Winks was at that stage. Defo a keeper. Home grown, one of our own.

Davies - we got 2nd in the season when he played LB because of Rose's injury, so no mug. Really good attitude. Also, deputises very well for Jan in CD, and he's probably good enough to hold down a regular place there. Again, home grown and we need them.

Others have made the point. We need to see how many changes are forced upon us - Eriksen and Toby? Although I'm still hopeful they'll both sign new contracts. But if they both go, then we need to be very careful about too much of a rehaul of the squad. There's a lot to be said for stability.

Bale has got to be a red herring. He's on £600k - A WEEK!!

And he's still injured most of the time in a league where Real have about 4 tough matches a season. The PL would finish him off.

Assuming that figure is correct (and is it before or after tax ?!)

The financial deal is going to depend upon :
1. How much Bale s prepared to drop his wages by
2. How much Real Madrid are prepared to pay of his wages (as I understand it his contract goes to about 2021 so they are on the hook atm for about 3 years at £30m pa, or circa £100m in total so they'll be glad to chip in to get rid of that liability)

And then whether Spurs are happy to pay the balance of his wages - and of course a minimal fee. Plus I'd guess we'd want to have say a 2 or 3 year contract with an option to extend.

But its the critical 'Poch looking Bale in the eye test' and saying are you committed to play for Spurs - and be fit for 30-40 games a season when required and being on the bench when Poch wants to rotate players. That's the bit which is more difficult to judge.

Given that Bale's Spanish isn't great after playing at Real for a few years, I doubt if he's going to be keen to play in Germany or elsewhere where a foreign language is required so that leaves PL - ManU (most prepared to pay £'s but least attractive given no CL and squad is a mess), ManCity (£'s but do they want or need him), Chelsea (Happy to pay £'s but does Bale want a London side after Spurs), Woolwich (Can't pay as no CL plus same as Chelsea)...so that leaves Spurs (how much does Poch want him and how much are we prepared to pay - possibly least of big 6 ?)

Tricky one to call.

2. How much Real Madrid are prepared to pay of his wages (as I understand it his contract goes to about 2021 so they are on the hook atm for about 3 years at £30m pa, or circa £100m in total so they'll be glad to chip in to get rid of that liability)

And then whether Spurs are happy to pay the balance of his wages - and of course a minimal fee. Plus I'd guess we'd want to have say a 2 or 3 year contract with an option to extend.

But its the critical 'Poch looking Bale in the eye test' and saying are you committed to play for Spurs - and be fit for 30-40 games a season when required and being on the bench when Poch wants to rotate players. That's the bit which is more difficult to judge.

Given that Bale's Spanish isn't great after playing at Real for a few years, I doubt if he's going to be keen to play in Germany or elsewhere where a foreign language is required so that leaves PL - ManU (most prepared to pay £'s but least attractive given no CL and squad is a mess), ManCity (£'s but do they want or need him), Chelsea (Happy to pay £'s but does Bale want a London side after Spurs), Woolwich (Can't pay as no CL plus same as Chelsea)...so that leaves Spurs (how much does Poch want him and how much are we prepared to pay - possibly least of big 6 ?)

Tricky one to call.
Can you see him staying at Real, picking up 35m a year, and saying I don't care what the manager has said, I'm fighting to get my place back?

Strongly disagree with Davies Winks and Skipp.

Winks is a proven midfielder who was superb against Real. He will get better and better with fitness. Always looking for the forward pass, keen to move the ball quickly, very rarely gets caught in possession. And home grown, one of our own.

Skipp? Well apart from the fact that he's only 18 so very little value yet, even at this age he's well ahead of where Winks was at that stage. Defo a keeper. Home grown, one of our own.

Davies - we got 2nd in the season when he played LB because of Rose's injury, so no mug. Really good attitude. Also, deputises very well for Jan in CD, and he's probably good enough to hold down a regular place there. Again, home grown and we need them.

Others have made the point. We need to see how many changes are forced upon us - Eriksen and Toby? Although I'm still hopeful they'll both sign new contracts. But if they both go, then we need to be very careful about too much of a rehaul of the squad. There's a lot to be said for stability.

Stability is key - means the players know precisely where the others play and know instinctively where to pass the ball when under pressure themselves.

Its the reason we finished in top 4 despite all the injuries we had this season and lack of recruitment in the last 2 TW's.

So yes, we need reinforcements, one to replace Dembele in CM and probably 2 players to replace the 'often injured' Wanyama and Lamela (so minimum 3 ?). But after that its a question of whether Alderwiereld, Vertonghen and Eriksen sign new contracts as to how many other upgrades to existing players need to be made. If all 3 move on I'd imagine it might be zero other changes.....but I've still not given up on any of the 3 yet.

And of course moving on players like Janssen and N'Koudou who don't play and are not sensible to loan out....and maybe a couple of our loanees (eg 21 year old CCV) if Poch thinks he's never going to be good enough at Spurs and will yield a good fee.

Can you see him staying at Real, picking up 35m a year, and saying I don't care what the manager has said, I'm fighting to get my place back?

Given the very negative comments from Real supporters, which must get to him after a time, I think he desperately wants a move.

But atm his agent is naturally playing hardball with Real and saying he's seeing out his contract

The more Agent says that, the more Real will fund part of his wages to the end of his contract - the Real fans will be on Real management back if Bale stays is the way I read it.

Tricky one to call.

Personally wouldn't touch him.

If we do, pay per game.

Personally wouldn't touch him.

If we do, pay per game.

Played 42 games this season (18/19), scoring 14 goals,
Played 39 games in 17/18 scoring 21 goals
Played 231 games in 6 seasons he been at Real Madrid (ie average 39 games a season) scoring 102 goals (17 goals per season)

So IMO his injury record is overstated by many, and of course the above stats don't include when the manager didn't play him for non injury reasons.

So if Poch decides Bale is a player he wants, then I don't think a pay per game deal is necessary : as a comparison we'd have loved Lamela to match these stats !

Personally think he'll go elsewhere.....but not sure he has too many options ?

Ok, most!

Agreed mostly.
But I would not poke Gotze with 10 meter stick. Way past it, never mentally strong, injury prone and quite honestly - washed. Also I am doubtful that Mitrovic head is in the right place. Would take Tielemans and Sessegnon on a heartbeat (+ Gomes surprised me positively in Everton this season actually).

Back
Top Bottom