Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With Poch talking about the need to rebuild, if we assume he and Levy reach an agreement where Spurs increase his salary, that of players, and spend some good money without going crazy, then the question is who is essential and stays and who goes? What direction do we see Poch taking the team?

Looking at our starters I think these solid first teamers stay:
Lloris, Jan, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Son, Kane, Dele, Moura

I guess he'll need to start planning for life after Lloris a bit further down the line but clearly he values his leadership strongly. Other than that Jan is getting on a little and picking up more injuries so assuming Toby leaves we're surely going to need another CB soon. I could see Poch upgrading some of the others not listed, or being willing to entertain offers for them.

I could see us becoming more of counter attacking side if he can get the right players in.

With Poch talking about the need to rebuild, if we assume he and Levy reach an agreement where Spurs increase his salary, that of players, and spend some good money without going crazy, then the question is who is essential and stays and who goes? What direction do we see Poch taking the team?

Looking at our starters I think these solid first teamers stay:
Lloris, Jan, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Son, Kane, Dele, Moura

I could see Poch upgrading some of the others, or being willing to entertain offers for them.

I could see us becoming more of counter attacking side if he can get the right players in.

Fucking hell, deep half the squad why don't ya!

Some fans think they're playing Championship Manager!

:pochfacepalm:

Fucking hell, deep half the squad why don't ya!

Some fans think they're playing Championship Manager!

:pochfacepalm:

I don't play it but maybe I should.

Not saying we should or will jettison the rest just that some seem certain to stay while others Poch seems less attached to so some of them may not be playing for us after a few transfer windows.

Christ, is all peeps ever think about damned transfers?

"Yay.... We're in the CL final.... How much does this mean we can spend on players for NEXT season? "

Besides, don't we already have a transfer thread anyway with hundreds of posts just like this?

Davinson, Foyth, Winks, Rose, KWP, Gazza will likely be back. Would absolutely love Eriksen and Toby to stay, and realistically we need to probably hold on to one of Trippier or Aurier.

Christ, is all peeps ever think about damned transfers?

"Yay.... We're in the CL final.... How much does this mean we can spend on players for NEXT season? "

Besides, don't we already have a transfer thread anyway with hundreds of posts just like this?

It's nothing really about transfers, at least not buying specific players in. I'm asking what direction people think our team and style of play are going to go in next. What the rebuild is going to look like and who we build it around. Poch has said himself it's on the cards and it's clear some players are going to leave or are coming to the end of their careers. Dembele has already gone so it's already begun.,

It's nothing really about transfers, at least not buying specific players in. I'm asking what direction people think our team and style of play are going to go in next. What the rebuild is going to look like and who we build it around. Poch has said himself it's on the cards and it's clear some players are going to leave or are coming to the end of their careers. Dembele has already gone so it's already begun.,

New thread title but much of a muchness otherwise....

Just am opinion.... I'm sure the thread will roll on regardless.

After the end of the season please. Now just SUPPORT THE LADS

Three weeks though... Maybe with a week to go we can focus on the final. Lot of time to fill.

Guardiola said earlier "Next Season we'll be stronger, we'll be better"

This is what we're up against. Levy needs to ask Poch what he needs to compete with City, then get as close to that as possible. The team needs significant investment, only a fool would suggest otherwise. We could, hopefully, have to play the Super Cup and Club World Cup. We need to strip out the squad players not good enough or injury prone. Can't be sentimental about it just because we've reached a CL final.

After the end of the season please. Now just SUPPORT THE LADS

I like this comment, but sorry, I also like the one below. Business should already be happening and so let's talk about it.

Three weeks though... Maybe with a week to go we can focus on the final. Lot of time to fill.

Guardiola said earlier "Next Season we'll be stronger, we'll be better"

This is what we're up against. Levy needs to ask Poch what he needs to compete with City, then get as close to that as possible. The team needs significant investment, only a fool would suggest otherwise. We could, hopefully, have to play the Super Cup and Club World Cup. We need to strip out the squad players not good enough or injury prone. Can't be sentimental about it just because we've reached a CL final.

I mentioned this in another thread that the time is now and so we must keep our best and replace the weaker bits with better bits. We keep everyone not mentioned below. That means we get Christian and Toby to sign new, bigger contracts.

On the Market/Dropped: Aurier, Trippier GKN, Vincent, Vorm, Big Vic, Lamela, Dier.

Sell - Trippier, Wanyama, Janssen, Nkoudou, Toby, Eriksen, Dier,Lamela,Rose
Buy - Grealish, Tielemans, Gomes, Bale (part-exchange for Eriksen move to Madrid),Digne(Swap for Rose),Gedson

KWP and Parrott move to First Team as cover - Foyth, DAvinson sanchez and Vertonghen become the back-3 starters with Ben Davies/Digne available as cover in central defence while he isn't rotating duties as LWB

Last edited:
Keep them all as they have been fucking superb for getting us where we are.

We need to be ruthless and rebuild the team, they lost 13 matches in the PL and had very few performances where we actually controlled the game. The midfield needs to be rebuilt and other areas need fresh faces. We've reached the limit of what we can do with this squad and some of them probably want to move on now.

Players we must get rid of: Vorm, Aurier, Llorente, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Janssen
Players we should sell for the right price: Rose, Trippier, Lamela, Walker-Peters
Players we should keep: Lloris, Gazzaniga, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Davies, Dier, Skipp, Sissoko, Winks, Alli, Eriksen, Lucas, Son, Kane

We all know that Alderweireld and Eriksen are considering their futures but we need to do everything we can to keep them. If we lose them because they want to play for Real Madrid that's fine, but we can't lose them over salary demands. Offer them what they want and if they won't sign then let them go.

I feel a club will offer silly money for Son this summer. If the price is right I think it would be good business.

I don't want to sell him, I'd much rather he was built around but I agree this summer or next a massive bid will come in for him. It's not just his ability it's his marketability in Asia which is only going to grow and is already insane.

Which right back we lose first will likely be down to what offers we get for them but I can't see either being here after a couple of summer windows. We can do better, can surely attract strong replacements who Poch can improve further.

Back
Top Bottom