Reasons to be Cheerful

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with most of your points and fair play to your upbeat mode considering our poor form.
The one point l do not agree with is the money . I have no confidence we will ever spend enough to be competitive, it ain't going to happen.
Under ENIC, I'm inclined to agree.

Though whether or not the ownership see the stadium as their end point (i.e. maximised asset value for their investment) to get out is another topic altogether.

We really need to move on from the ‘90s rhetoric - its almost a form of PTSD for some. It’s almost 2 decades ago there is a whole generation of supporters who weren’t even alive then. The CL was a dream in 2010 but it shouldn’t still be the case nearly a decade on.

but that just says to me that we have been a bit of a joke for a very long time.

You really think that? A joke? You need to get some other experiences into your life and stop pinning your hopes for happiness on a fucking football team.

You’re in danger of becoming like Ossie Wembley - an embittered old man, living on his own, who’s only social interaction is moaning like fuck on a football forum where most of the members think he’s an arsehole. Think on.

Last edited:
If I said I’d enjoy us getting smashed by Barca I’d probably have continued reading whatever you wrote after that. If you can’t be arsed to read my posts I sure as hell can’t be arsed to read yours.

Good day Sir.
That was rather sniffy old bean...you said we still have Barca to play twice to look forward to or something like that..as if we are some little old team who should enjoy the day out...ic you bothered to read mg posh properly you would of noticed how I complimented your attitude......eventually

You really think that? A joke? You need to get some other experiences into your life and stop pinning your hopes for happiness on a fucking football team.

You’re in danger of becoming like Ossie Wembley - an embittered old man, living on his own, who’s only social interaction is moaning like fuck on a football forum where most of the members think he’s a arsehole. Think on.
Really..you know nothing about me...i have every thing I ever wanted in life mate...im just a bit greedy and want to see my team actually achieve something or at least make an effort to...my happiness doesn't hinge on football mate, I'm very lucky that way, and my kids tend to stop me even thinking about moping ..but I do love this club, do u not also ? Are you never irritated by some of the things that our club does.

We really need to move on from the ‘90s rhetoric - its almost a form of PTSD for some. It’s almost 2 decades ago there is a whole generation of supporters who weren’t even alive then. The CL was a dream in 2010 but it shouldn’t still be the case nearly a decade on.

Fuck off.

I and many others on here have seen the gradual development of the club, and can appreciate the current position within the context of our history. I started supporting Spurs in 1990, but seeing as I fell in love with the club I did my due diligence and researched our history going right back to our origins.

The 90s were a bleak time (despite some great players), and those who experienced that era are perhaps a bit more grounded when it comes to current success, especially as we’re not in the top four when it comes to throwing money around.

If you started supporting us in the Jol years and assume we should be top 4/5 every season, that’s your problem. This has been a long journey, and for people like me it’s a joy to see us competing with the likes of Barca in the CL when even obscure Europa League matches were a pipe dream not so long ago.

I agree and disagree.

I know what you’re saying, we’ve got to live in the present and not look back. The present is the present and we should be aiming higher.

However, having experienced those dark times - and man, there were some really REALLY dark fucking moments - it’s difficult not to take a trip down memory lane and appreciate that we are worrying about something completely different now as to what we were worrying about back then.

It wasn’t the 90s as you say - I remember in the 04 season we were 17th in the table at one stage. We eventually finished 14th but at the time, I recall there were genuine relegation fears.

I’m just so glad that we are worrying about what we are worrying about these days, it was completely different not too long ago.

Last edited:
That was rather sniffy old bean...you said we still have Barca to play twice to look forward to or something like that..as if we are some little old team who should enjoy the day out...ic you bothered to read mg posh properly you would of noticed how I complimented your attitude......eventually

I’m excited to see us going up against the big names in Europe. I was happy that we got Real Madrid last season, and even happier to see us take 4 points off them. I’m confident that we can beat Barca, but I’m not going to downplay the excitement of a glamour tie. Ultimately my point was that we’re in the big leagues now, and should enjoy it. It’s about time. I want us to play the best, and beat the best.

Fuck off.

I and many others on here have seen the gradual development of the club, and can appreciate the current position within the context of our history. I started supporting Spurs in 1990, but seeing as I fell in love with the club I did my due diligence and researched our history going right back to our origins.

The 90s were a bleak time (despite some great players), and those who experienced that era are perhaps a bit more grounded when it comes to current success, especially as we’re not in the top four when it comes to throwing money around.

If you started supporting us in the Jol years and assume we should be top 4/5 every season, that’s your problem. This has been a long journey, and for people like me it’s a joy to see us competing with the likes of Barca in the CL when even obscure Europa League matches were a pipe dream not so long ago.

I started supporting us in 92 I went through the whole period of decline but that was then and this is now. I see little sense in endlessly referencing the period - Sugar is still bloody referenced by some. Playing Barcelona isn’t a dream - the PL is not the second tier league it was in the ‘90s we and we are not the mid table club we once were. If the ‘90s is the reference point well you will have the benefit of never being disappointed because even the smallest of successes will be magnified against this.

I’m excited to see us going up against the big names in Europe. I was happy that we got Real Madrid last season, and even happier to see us take 4 points off them. I’m confident that we can beat Barca, but I’m not going to downplay the excitement of a glamour tie. Ultimately my point was that we’re in the big leagues now, and should enjoy it. It’s about time. I want us to play the best, and beat the best.
Good repost my dear fellow....im out of old sounding things to say now LMAO...you are very right Jerry we should.. sometimes though I do wonder, as soon as I get excited and things take a dramatic upturn they just as quickly seem to start unravelling with these owners that I just can't seem to be fully behind..i wish I could but it's just something about the way Mr levy conducts our business...maybe in 5 years time he will have proved me wrong and I will happily eat humble pie..not sure I'm going to need to though. You seem to be a decent bloke jerry and ive enjoysd a bit of verbal sparrjnv with a fellow spur even though we dont agree on everything..this is exactly why I joined this forum.. brilliant...COYS

Good repost my dear fellow....im out of old sounding things to say now LMAO...you are very right Jerry we should.. sometimes though I do wonder, as soon as I get excited and things take a dramatic upturn they just as quickly seem to start unravelling with these owners that I just can't seem to be fully behind..i wish I could but it's just something about the way Mr levy conducts our business...maybe in 5 years time he will have proved me wrong and I will happily eat humble pie..not sure I'm going to need to though. You seem to be a decent bloke jerry and ive enjoysd a bit of verbal sparrjnv with a fellow spur even though we dont agree on everything..this is exactly why I joined this forum.. brilliant...COYS
No I've not been drinking, just having a bad spelling day LMAO..

I started supporting us in 92 I went through the whole period of decline but that was then and this is now. I see little sense in endlessly referencing the period - Sugar is still bloody referenced by some. Playing Barcelona isn’t a dream - the PL is not the second tier league it was in the ‘90s we and we are not the mid table club we once were. If the ‘90s is the reference point well you will have the benefit of never being disappointed because even the smallest of successes will be magnified against this.

I’m not really sure what you’re getting at. I’m saying that we’re aspiring to be a big team in Europe, and the big teams from England will come up against the Madrids, Milans, Bayern Munich, PSG, and Barca. I’m happy that we’re being tested against Barca this season as I happen to think Messi is some sort of God. We smashed both CL finalists last season, so I’m certainly not worried about anyone...I just want to see us going toe to toe with the best. Compared to the 90s this is dream land, and we should make the most of it. Celebrate being back where we belong.

Huzzah!

I’m no Levy fan either. He runs the club like a local Tesco.

Really..you know nothing about me...i have every thing I ever wanted in life mate...im just a bit greedy and want to see my team actually achieve something or at least make an effort to...my happiness doesn't hinge on football mate, I'm very lucky that way, and my kids tend to stop me even thinking about moping ..but I do love this club, do u not also ? Are you never irritated by some of the things that our club does.

Not really, I expect it. I’m pleased you don’t rely on Tottenham for your happiness, because that would make you a mug.

So why are you so enraged if it doesn’t impinge on your happiness? Why don’t you just play with your kids and chill?

I’m not really sure what you’re getting at. I’m saying that we’re aspiring to be a big team in Europe, and the big teams from England will come up against the Madrids, Milans, Bayern Munich, PSG, and Barca. I’m happy that we’re being tested against Barca this season as I happen to think Messi is some sort of God. We smashed both CL finalists last season, so I’m certainly not worried about anyone...I just want to see us going toe to toe with the best. Compared to the 90s this is dream land, and we should make the most of it. Celebrate being back where we belong.

We did in 2010 - the point is that after nearly a decade on that shouldn’t still be the case. My point is that what happened 20 years ago has no real relevance today - there has to be a point that this is let go it doesn’t serve any benefit.

Back
Top Bottom