Reasons to be Cheerful

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
I’m no happy clapper, and absolutely gutted about yesterday’s result and the previous two defeats, but in an attempt to convince myself that things aren’t that bad I’ve decided to create a thread for us to post more positive stuff about the club.

1) Pochettino. Yes he’s had a bit of a ‘mare with his tactics and subs recently, but he’s still a classy son of a bitch that we’re incredibly lucky to have. Showing some faith in his hour of need is likely to go some way in solidifying his connection with the club.

2) The stadium. Yes there’s a lot of bad blood due to the mishaps with it opening, but it’s coming. Before we know it, we’ll be settling into an incredible new home and starting a brand new chapter in the club’s history. This may well be the most significant thing to happen to the club in decades, and it’s within touching distance.

3) Kane. His form has been suspect, but let’s not forget that we still have a home grown striker that may well be the best in the world.

4) Dele. Gets overshadowed by Kane, but he’s one of the most exciting young players in Europe and is getting better every season.

5) Money. I know we didn’t spend a penny in the summer, but we’re going to be in a much better financial situation soon. The revenue from ticket sales, not to mention all of the additional stadium stuff (bars, climbing wall, executive boxes, sky walk, etc) that will all add up. We’ll have stadium and NFL sponsorship as well. We’re already seeing the benefits by seeing increased wages for some of our key players.

6) The fans. Through all of our ups and downs I genuinely believe we have some of the best fans in Europe. Yeah there will be the occasional boos and jeers, but when push comes to shove, our fans will play our part in lifting the team.

7) The present. As annoying as our last three results have been, let’s not forget that this is one of the best teams we’ve had in many years. Remember when you’re upset at our form that we’ve still got at least five more CL games to enjoy, including two against Barca. As a 90s supporter this is the stuff of dreams. Whether we go out or go through, these are days to cherish.

COYS

In all seriousness I’m still positive. I think we’ll win our next 4 league games and beat Barca at Wembley. And if we don’t then fuck it, at least we’re getting the chance to play teams like Barca

Positive thought from me: we looked better yesterday and were controlling the match until Icardi popped up with a worldy. That includes Kane and Eriksen, who have been woefully under par recently.

To be honest, the first three games didn't showcase Spurs at their best and we had done very well to get 9 points from them.

I commend Poch for actually trying new things with the team (I.e. formations, etc). It shows that he is confident in his position at the club.

When it all comes together, we'll have the heights of last season's squad plus Moura and a fit/reintegrated Alderweireld. This is Poch's first three successive losses managing Spurs - and I think we mustn't let past consistency brew impatience and excessive discontent right now.

Also, thank fuck the forum servers stopped me being able to read anything for about an hour after the final whistle last night.

1. We have a great team
2. We have a great manager
3. We have a brand new stadium to look forward to

I won't start worrying unless we seriously disappoint and fail to pick up much needed points within our next 4 fixtures. We should be winning them all.

I’m no happy clapper, and absolutely gutted about yesterday’s result and the previous two defeats, but in an attempt to convince myself that things aren’t that bad I’ve decided to create a thread for us to post more positive stuff about the club.

1) Pochettino. Yes he’s had a bit of a ‘mare with his tactics and subs recently, but he’s still a classy son of a bitch that we’re incredibly lucky to have. Showing some faith in his hour of need is likely to go some way in solidifying his connection with the club.

2) The stadium. Yes there’s a lot of bad blood due to the mishaps with it opening, but it’s coming. Before we know it, we’ll be settling into an incredible new home and starting a brand new chapter in the club’s history. This may well be the most significant thing to happen to the club in decades, and it’s within touching distance.

3) Kane. His form has been suspect, but let’s not forget that we still have a home grown striker that may well be the best in the world.

4) Dele. Gets overshadowed by Kane, but he’s one of the most exciting young players in Europe and is getting better every season.

5) Money. I know we didn’t spend a penny in the summer, but we’re going to be in a much better financial situation soon. The revenue from ticket sales, not to mention all of the additional stadium stuff (bars, climbing wall, executive boxes, sky walk, etc) that will all add up. We’ll have stadium and NFL sponsorship as well. We’re already seeing the benefits by seeing increased wages for some of our key players.

6) The fans. Through all of our ups and downs I genuinely believe we have some of the best fans in Europe. Yeah there will be the occasional boos and jeers, but when push comes to shove, our fans will play our part in lifting the team.

7) The present. As annoying as our last three results have been, let’s not forget that this is one of the best teams we’ve had in many years. Remember when you’re upset at our form that we’ve still got at least five more CL games to enjoy, including two against Barca. As a 90s supporter this is the stuff of dreams. Whether we go out or go through, these are days to cherish.

COYS
Are you honestly telling me that if we get smashed by Barca you will be enjoying it ? Do you really want to be in the champs league to enjoy the other teams...i want to compete and to win something..days to cherish are when you win the premier league or champions league...i wish I had your positivity, but I agree this is one of our best teams in an age but that just says to me that we have been a bit of a joke for a very long time...are you not sick of it never being our time or not being able to get excited about the future..because as long as levy is involved we all have to settle for this being as good as it will ever be imo..maybe I'm not as positive as you because I've been putting up with this settling for mediocrity instead of reaching for the heavens for a lot longer. We are a great club that should be acting a bit more like we deserve to be in the top 4..i look forward to your positivity cheering me up again in the future Jerry, fair play mate..

That cant be humanly possible unless the shitter-in-chief was assisted, and a queue with the bog door open watching as standard might put a lesser man off

It was against Newcastle a few years ago when ayoze perez scored a late header to beat us 2–1. I think the culprit did it the night before

Reasons to be cheerful -

there are people who think there are reasons to be cheerful, so be cheerful. Should this this make me cheerful? Perhaps...

Are you honestly telling me that if we get smashed by Barca you will be enjoying it ? Do you really want to be in the champs league to enjoy the other teams...i want to compete and to win something..days to cherish are when you win the premier league or champions league...i wish I had your positivity, but I agree this is one of our best teams in an age but that just says to me that we have been a bit of a joke for a very long time...are you not sick of it never being our time or not being able to get excited about the future..because as long as levy is involved we all have to settle for this being as good as it will ever be imo..maybe I'm not as positive as you because I've been putting up with this settling for mediocrity instead of reaching for the heavens for a lot longer. We are a great club that should be acting a bit more like we deserve to be in the top 4..i look forward to your positivity cheering me up again in the future Jerry, fair play mate..

If I said I’d enjoy us getting smashed by Barca I’d probably have continued reading whatever you wrote after that. If you can’t be arsed to read my posts I sure as hell can’t be arsed to read yours.

Good day Sir.

1. We have a great team
2. We have a great manager
3. We have a brand new stadium to look forward to

I won't start worrying unless we seriously disappoint and fail to pick up much needed points within our next 4 fixtures. We should be winning them all.
Amen. We could win out over the next month or so and then be imminently moving into the new stadium...

The mood in that scenario couldn't be further from what it is now, and we'd look back at this as somewhat bed-wetting.

There is a bit of me that thinks we are heading back to the bad, old days. The delays with the stadium, Hugo's conviction, loss of form and injuries of our best players and the results of the last three games, is not helping my mood.
Getting into the new stadium will definitely improve things. I still love Poch and think we're lucky to have him. I still feel we have some of the best players in the league. So all things considered, I am going to cheer up.

I agree with most of your points and fair play to your upbeat mode considering our poor form.
The one point l do not agree with is the money . I have no confidence we will ever spend enough to be competitive, it ain't going to happen.

I agree with most of your points and fair play to your upbeat mode considering our poor form.
The one point l do not agree with is the money . I have no confidence we will ever spend enough to be competitive, it ain't going to happen.

Even if we did - would you be confident in us actually spending it wisely?

I can’t agree more with this post.

I remember the days when the likes of Timothee Atouba and Steffen Iversen were starting for us and I still find it hard to believe we are where we are.

Never did I imagine in those days we would be playing Champions League football.

Last edited:

To be honest I think the potential upside of the lucrative stadium would be ENIC selling to an owner that actually wants to win trophies, but that’s a huge question mark.

ENIC clearly don’t give a fuck about us actually winning stuff (no trophy this season will represent our least successful decade since the 1940s), but I do think they take their investment job seriously and want to turn us into an attractive club for potential buyers. The new training ground, lodge, and stadium sets us up nicely.

I don’t want some Arabian prince to blow the opposition out of the water like those Sheik Mansour wankers, but someone who can keep us competing at the top would be nice. At the very least we should have as much financial power as Woolwich and Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom