Reasons for supporting Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower

Supporter
Heard a brilliant one last night from a girl in a pub watching the game:

"I support Spurs because about 10 years ago I woke up after a heavy night out and I'd got a tattoo of the Spurs badge, I wasn't interested in football before that but thought I'd better start then....."

I didn't press any further but I can only reach the conclusion that somewhere out there is a bloke who is a complete LEGEND (she was fit) :bow:

Blanchflower said:

"I support Spurs because about 10 years ago I woke up after a heavy night out and I'd got a tattoo of the Spurs badge, I wasn't interested in football before that but thought I'd better start then....."

I didn't press any further but I can only reach the conclusion that somewhere out there is a bloke who is a complete LEGEND (she was fit) :bow:

and fucked in more ways than one

As a child everyone supported either Woolwich, Chelski, Newcastle, Liverpool or United, (circa early 2000s) so me wanting to be different looked at a map to see the nearest club to me, turned out be Woolwich but chose Spurs to be different.

Probably wouldn't have been a fan but for one guy I met years ago. Was never interested in football as a kid, partly because I was shit at

When I was 17 I got a job as a shelve stacker for my local Tesco. After a year or so I met a guy there who was a keen Spurs fan and went to as many home games as often as he could. He invited me to a league cup game. At first I enjoyed it, but it was one of those give or take situations (partly because I knew nothing about what was happening in football). Anyhow, he invited me to a few more games and I got to enjoy it more and learned a little bit more about what was happening in football at the time. I felt more about to enjoy once I knew some stuff so I decided to support a club. Being as I was born in Enfield and raised in Cheshunt it had to be either Spurs or Woolwich. Spurs were that little bit closer and, well, I had gone to some of their games so it made sense to stick with them for both reasons, even if they were a lot shittier than Woolwich at the time (1996). Shortly after making this decision I was taken to an away game at Highbury. I quickly developed my hatred for the scum and their fans at that match and knew that I had made the right choice. I've followed the club through think and thin ever since.

There is no choice! And if there was, this is the only logical one! Also, my Dad, Granddad, and Great-Grandad were all Spurs.

Pie and Mash said:
Blanchflower said:

and fucked in more ways than one

She got date-Spurred....

I was born in Woolwich (not filtered) Mother and Babys hospital. Its long since been raised to the ground, and I grew up in Thamesmead SE London.

Thankfully, my extended family live in Woodgreen, Edmonton and Barnet area. My older brother started supporting Spurs in the late 70's as he was up in that area alot, and started going to games with the family. Also because Spurs didnt have a huge amount of facist scum going to games, like West Ham, just over the river from us.

I still remember looking at the silky Lillywhite kits and tracksuits he had in his wardrobe, and reading his books, and stealing his THFC duvets, blankets, pillows, bags, pencil cases etc over the years as a child.

My first kit was:

tottenham%201985.jpg

Dont wear kits now, but got the Cockerel on Ball tattoo. I guess those early memories are everything.

USSpur said:
There is no choice! And if there was, this is the only logical one! Also, my Dad, Granddad, and Great-Grandad were all Spurs.
I think it's really sweet to see fans who are brought up on it and are generationally carrying the torch. My family were never into football. I was the first.

Do I want my kids to follow? Up to them (mind you if one wanted to be a gooner I might give it up for adoption).

I would like my kids to support Spurs, if they support Woolwich or Chelsea I will not buy them any merchandise or take them to any of their games whatsoever.

If they chose to support another local club I wouldn't mind but I'd insist they go to games and not be a plastic.

Freudlyuchenko said:
As a child everyone supported either Woolwich, Chelski, Newcastle, Liverpool or United, (circa early 2000s) so me wanting to be different looked at a map to see the nearest club to me, turned out be Woolwich but chose Spurs to be different.

Bloody hell you're young...

...for me it was Liverpool, Aston Villa & Nottingham Forest!!!! (ahem, it was the late '70s/early '80's for what it's worth!)

But in Essex/East London, i'd say it was always a fair split between West Ham, ArseAnal and Spurs... Chelsea didn't even REGISTER on the scale in MY day!!

In Royal Hertfordshire growing up you were either Spurs, Woolwich or West Ham.

I saw more Chelsea shirts in 1 hour out of the house yesterday than the whole of the 80's and 90's combined.

I grew up in Camden and I'm from a large family, 5 boys all football mad. My dad was Spurs but he didn't force us to support his team, in fact he took me to Woolwich and West Ham before he took me to White Hart Lane.
But once i saw Spurs at the lane that was it for me. 1968 Spurs v Leeds, got off the bus at the bottom of seven sisters and my ole man took me in the home made sweet shop for a bag of boiled sweets! Famous shop that was across the road from the Dave Mackay shop.
The walk up the high road was much different in those days, the street was lined with stalls selling Spurs stuff, much more than they allow today.
My uncle lived in Worchester Avenue, his garden looked out at the ground, we stopped at his place before the match, which became a habit for years to come. Incidently my uncle had a season ticket at both Spurs and Woolwich, many people used to watch both teams in those days.

I was itching to get in the ground, and when i climbed those steps up onto the shelf for my first view of the pitch i was just hooked. Dad allways stood on the Shelf, "football should be watched sideways on" he would say, and it was certainly the best view in football.

Seeing Jimmy Greaves, Dave Mackay, Gilzean, Jennings etc for the first time clinched the deal for me. Trouble was dad took us one at a time to the games so i had to wait another 5 home games before i could go again.
Before long i was doing a paper round to fund my trips to the lane more frequently, by then there was a whole gang of us going, dad didn't know what he started lol.

My dad took me to the Lane, and he bought me my first kit. Watched the final together sunday -with my two sons too. As devastating as the result was- it was still special watching and suffering through everything together- people who aren't Spurs will never get it.

1882 said:
Freudlyuchenko said:

Bloody hell you're young...

...for me it was Liverpool, Aston Villa & Nottingham Forest!!!! (ahem, it was the late '70s/early '80's for what it's worth!)

But in Essex/East London, i'd say it was always a fair split between West Ham, ArseAnal and Spurs... Chelsea didn't even REGISTER on the scale in MY day!!

Don't be like that, you saw Spurs win trophies, just the Carling Cup for me, still remember been alone in my living room (my dad supports Woolwich, he's from Putney so I let him off)

Back
Top Bottom