Questions for Levy, Poch & Hugo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If, as is the case now, we have three other attacking mids in really good form, then Son all day long. Also it would demand having Alli or Mason playing one of the three, as having Son up there instead of Kane would make the runs beyond the striker all the more important. A combination of say Eriksen, Dembele and Lamela would be no good behind Son for that reason imo.

If not then Son in att mid and Clinton up top but the two interchanging for shorter or longer intervals as the game demands it.
I'v e always thought Kane being so good at what he does forces us to play 4-2-3-1 and if he wasn't/didn't do it the rest of the attacking players seem to fit more into a 4-3-3 system so my guess would be without Kane thats what would happen

Kafkaesque Kafkaesque quotes from yesterday Saido Berahino top of Tottenham's January hit list

When asked about Berahino, Pochettino gave a wry smile, and insisted: ‘We never speak in public about another club’s player. We need to show respect. Of course we are interested in different players — that is our job.

‘I’m very happy with my squad but always in every position you can improve. We have offensive players who can play like Harry. There is Son (Heung-min) or (Nacer) Chadli or Clinton (N’Jie) — they can play like a striker.

‘But maybe it’s true (that Spurs will sign a striker in January). I recognise they are not specifically strikers so maybe we will work to try to find such a player who we can add in the next transfer window or in the summer to try to help the team. It is important we find someone who is very specific.’

Sounds like somebody wants to sign specifically a striker, not rely on players that can play like a striker if you close your eyes and wish it were true. :pochohshit:

Kafkaesque Kafkaesque quotes from yesterday Saido Berahino top of Tottenham's January hit list

When asked about Berahino, Pochettino gave a wry smile, and insisted: ‘We never speak in public about another club’s player. We need to show respect. Of course we are interested in different players — that is our job.

‘I’m very happy with my squad but always in every position you can improve. We have offensive players who can play like Harry. There is Son (Heung-min) or (Nacer) Chadli or Clinton (N’Jie) — they can play like a striker.

‘But maybe it’s true (that Spurs will sign a striker in January). I recognise they are not specifically strikers so maybe we will work to try to find such a player who we can add in the next transfer window or in the summer to try to help the team. It is important we find someone who is very specific.’

Sounds like somebody wants to sign specifically a striker, not rely on players that can play like a striker if you close your eyes and wish it were true. :pochohshit:

I've never denied that being the case. In fact, I started out this discussion by stating that Poch clearly wanted a striker, and I've said numerous times on here that I too think, we should sign another striker. This and Poch thinking (actually thinking, not paying lip service to Levy) that our system (and our players) is flexible enough that it's not such a desperate need that we need to sign whoever is available, is just not mutually exclusive though....is my simple point.

You know, I know and Poch knows if we can get someone in the striker department who's right for the squad, we should do it sooner rather than later. But you're the one claiming Poch isn't being completely truthfull when saying the options are good enough now. Your starting point is we need a striker desperately and you stick to that premise even though the only "evidence" is Kane playing every minute, when in truth that could well have been the case nomatter who we'd signed, because Kane is just that good. I, on the other hand, am willing to see beyond myself wanting another striker, and seeing that what actually goes on on the pitch supports Poch's interpretation.

If we don't sign a back up for Harry and he subsequently picks up a long term injury (God forbid) then we can kiss goodbye to a top 4 finish!

Joe earlier posed the question of who would we play up front instead of Harry

The brutal answer is that we haven't got anybody and I hope this is addressed in January

:kaneear:

Again, I didn't say that.

You are purposefully avoiding my point and creating new points for me.

The fact stands that Kane plays every minute he needs to as we don't have another player capable of doing the things he does.

Trust me we can't rely on Son, Chadli, Clinton, whoever filling for at centre forward for Kane if we want to finish higher than 6th-8th.
The line 'filling in for centre forward' shows you've missed the point a bit.
No we don't have another player capable of scoring 30 goals a season. Who does? We will find it extremely hard to find a player like Kane, who can defend, pass, cross and score. He's not your typical CF.
The point made was we need players who can play along the line, do a bit of everything, not just as a CF.
However, we do have Chadli an Eriksen , who can score, and given time I am sure Son will do.

Liverpool are the only club who have goal scoring front men in abundance. I wouldn't call strurridge, Ings or even Orivi a typical CF.
They played with Strurridge and Orivi in the same line up the other night with Firmino and Benteke on the bench.
They could probably play with Benteke and Sturridge and have the other two as subs too.

I understand your point though. That's why it's important to have a front 4 all capable of goals. You cannot just be relying on one person to do so. You cannot even expect the 'back up' for the goalscorer to be able to come straight in and replicate it.

This has been an achilles heel for us for a while, relying on one man for the goals. At least Poch is trying to solve it.

Back
Top Bottom